Crescent's Annual Truncation due to trackwork

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak has posted a service alert about the Monday to Thursday truncation of the Crescent south of Atlanta. The service alert lists the substitute bus service and the reservation system allows the booking of the bus, so Amtrak is providing alternatives this year compared to sorry, you are on your own they did in previous years.

The service truncation will last for 5 weeks this year:

Monday through Thursday
January 4 - 7, 2016
January 11 - 14, 2016
January 18 - 21, 2016
January 25 - 28, 2016
February 1 - 4, 2016

While AmSnagging I noticed that the Crescent from NYP to NOL as periods of closure lasting 4 days followed by 3 days of operation all through this month and the first few days of February. If track maintenance is the cause, those planning on riding the rails down for Mardi Gras should hope there's no delay in completion.
The last week of the service interruption is from February 1 to 4 and in previous years, NS has completed the work periods on schedule as far I recall reading, so the Crescent should be back in full service in time for Mardi Gras.

Are the sleepers on the Crescent orientated a specific direction, is it by happenstance like the TE?

Leaving NOL, are the bedrooms toward the engine, or the rear of the train? Or is it a crapshoot?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the sleepers on the Crescent orientated a specific direction, is it by happenstance like the TE?
They'll have the vestibule towards the Diner Tony, so depending on which end of the train they are on, the Bedrooms or Roomettes will either be at the front or rear of the car.
But every time I've ridden the Crescent in recent years ( probably 25 Times) the Sleepers have been on tbe front behind the bag car which means the Roomettes were towards the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
They'll have the vestibule towards the Diner Tony, so depending on which end of the train they are on, the Bedrooms or Roomettes will either be at the front or rear of the car.But every time I've ridden the Crescent in recent years ( probably 25 Times) the Sleepers have been on tbe front behind the bag car which means the Roomettes were towards the engine.
Hopefully that will be true again in August, so the bench seat will be facing forward in room B.......???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back