Crescent from NOL to DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright, I am going to be taking my second Amtrak trip this summer from Houston to Washington, DC. First part of the journey is on the Sunset Limited with a night in NOL. Then, next morning I am taking the Crescent from NOL all the way to DC. Unfortunately, it is only a one way trip. I am going to see my aunt in North Carolina, but the times in Charlotte just did not work out for me. So I am going to hang out in DC for a day or so, rent a car and then head down to NC and then back home.

Here is something I could use some advice on -- Does anyone know a good hotel that is near the Amtrak station in NOL and a good one in DC that is near the Metro as well as Union Station? Also, any tips about taking the Crescent would be helpful. I will have a Viewliner Roomette. I took the Texas Eagle a few years ago, had a roomette and loved it.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks. In addition,if anyone has any advice about getting on Amtrak in NC instead of renting a car and driving back, I'd be open to ideas.

ML

:hi: Goggle up Hotels in New Orleans and Washington, Kayak.com will give you comparisons of the various sites, Ive had good luck with Orbitz/Hotels.com, good price and you get to see /read about the hotel and its location. New Orleans has plenty of hotels that, depending when you go, can range in price for the same hotel from $59 to $250!!! Washington tends to be pricer but there are plenty of hotels both in the Distric and across the River in Virginia that are next o the Metro which will take you right into Union Station!

The Crescent leaves New Orlenas early in the morning, (like 7AM), youll have three meals before you get to Atlanta, (breakfast/lunch and dinner)if you eat dinner early! This trains tends to fill up in Atlanta, is very popular from there to Washington and New York! Usually its a pretty nice trip through to Atlanta, then overnight up to Washington.

As for a return, you could catch the Crescent to NOL( spend the night in New Orleans), then return to Houston on the Sunset Ltd. (only three days a week) You could also return to Washington on the Crescent (overnite ) and then take the Capital Ltd. to Chicago (overnite) and ride the Texas Eagle to Longview where youd have to take a bus to Houston, or you could evn take the City of New Orleans from Chicago-New Orleans (overnite), spend the night, then catch the Sunset to Houston if you have the time!

Last edited by a moderator:
:hi: Goggle up Hotels in New Orleans and Washington, Kayak.com will give you comparisons of the various sites, Ive had good luck with Orbitz/Hotels.com, good price and you get to see /read about the hotel and its location. New Orleans has plenty of hotels that, depending when you go, can range in price for the same hotel from $59 to $250!!! Washington tends to be pricer but there are plenty of hotels both in the Distric and across the River in Virginia that are next o the Metro which will take you right into Union Station!

The Crescent leaves New Orlenas early in the morning, (like 7AM), youll have three meals before you get to Atlanta, (breakfast/lunch and dinner)if you eat dinner early! This trains tends to fill up in Atlanta, is very popular from there to Washington and New York! Usually its a pretty nice trip through to Atlanta, then overnight up to Washington.

As for a return, you could catch the Crescent to NOL( spend the night in New Orleans), then return to Houston on the Sunset Ltd. (only three days a week) You could also return to Washington on the Crescent (overnite ) and then take the Capital Ltd. to Chicago (overnite) and ride the Texas Eagle to Longview where youd have to take a bus to Houston, or you could evn take the City of New Orleans from Chicago-New Orleans (overnite), spend the night, then catch the Sunset to Houston if you have the time!
Jim, I have a business meeting in NOLA later this year. The group got a great group rate at the Royal Sonesta in the French Quarter. $375 incl. tax for 3 nights.

http://www.sonesta.com/RoyalNewOrleans/index.cfm?fa=ratespackages.home

Looking forward to my first CONO trip, and first visit to NOLA in a long while.

You are renting a car to drive from DC to Charlotte? Do you know about the Carolinian? Its a day train that runs NYP-Charlotte. You leave WAS in the morning and arrive Charlotte that evenning (about 8 pm i think?). It's a very nice day trip, I just took it a few weeks ago. The route is different then the Crescent as well. I would HIGHLY recommend it.

As I've said to others.. the Crescent is a very nice trip and you will love it!

We're planning on staying at the Hampton Inn in DC on Massachusetts Avenue, the street that runs directly to Union Station ( IIRC about 1 mile away). It is highly rated on tripadvisor.com ... (#11 I believe). The D.C. Circulator Bus ($1 each way) stops nearby on the route: Union Station-Georgetown-Union Station.

Happy planning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back