Crazy Surprise On Amtrak 383 today!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I booked a last mnute trip to Chicago on Amtrak 383. What I was expecting to be a normal hour ride started out pretty awesome when this appeared! Perhaps our trusty P42 had a few issues? Train left Quincy IL early today and this was taken at Plano IL. I have seen this done on LD trains but it's new to me on a shorter train like this.

IMG_1279.jpg

Amtrak 391 (also in Illinois) had a CN unit leading for part of its journey south and then for its journey north as 392 today. It is uncommon, but it does happen.

Sadly it's becoming more and more common. The second to last time I was on 383, we had to make an unscheduled stop in Augusta to let the volunteer fire department resupply the engine with water due to a broken hose. Last winter, returning from Florida we lost engines on two consecutive trains.

I'm having a hard time interpreting the OP. Are sure you took 383 to Chicago. 380 leaves Quincy early in the morning; and 383 departs CHI at 5:55PM.

I'm also confused in that the you refer to a train leaving today in a post dated 01:57 PM yesterday (May 31). According to Amtrak's train status 380 arrived in Chi. 3 minutes early; and 383 arrived in QCY 11 minutes early. All four of the QCY trains departed Plano almost on time.

I don't see how any of them could have had engine failures. Even if the decision making and shuffling had occurred overnight and 380 left Quincy on time, it would have been difficult not to notice the BNSF engine when you boarded (now if you actually departed 383 in CHI, that's a different story). Moreover, the freight engine would not have been able to keep up with the schedule. It's 79 MPH all the way with less slow running than just about any other Amtrak line, including the NEC.

Sadly it's becoming more and more common. The second to last time I was on 383, we had to make an unscheduled stop in Augusta to let the volunteer fire department resupply the engine with water due to a broken hose. Last winter, returning from Florida we lost engines on two consecutive trains.

I'm having a hard time interpreting the OP. Are sure you took 383 to Chicago. 380 leaves Quincy early in the morning; and 383 departs CHI at 5:55PM.

I'm also confused in that the you refer to a train leaving today in a post dated 01:57 PM yesterday (May 31). According to Amtrak's train status 380 arrived in Chi. 3 minutes early; and 383 arrived in QCY 11 minutes early. All four of the QCY trains departed Plano almost on time.

I don't see how any of them could have had engine failures. Even if the decision making and shuffling had occurred overnight and 380 left Quincy on time, it would have been difficult not to notice the BNSF engine when you boarded (now if you actually departed 383 in CHI, that's a different story). Moreover, the freight engine would not have been able to keep up with the schedule. It's 79 MPH all the way with less slow running than just about any other Amtrak line, including the NEC.
So It was train 380 and I did board it early in the morning on May 31st... This would of had to happen in Quincy.

So what is the problem are the Genesis breaking down? Getting into accidents? When I was on the CS almost 2 weeks ago, the second engine was a P32. From what I understand, Amtrak only subs a P32 when the one of the Genesis breaks down.

So where do the lights and AC come from on these trips?
The "dead" engine may still be able to provide HEP.
But if it can't, then everyone would be sitting in the dark.

However there are many reasons that the Amtrak engine wouldn't be leading, yet could still provide hotel power. And it can be something as simple as the horn or headlight not working. The engine would still be running and providing hotel power, but it can't lead the train without either of those aforementioned items working. You could also have a traction motor failure, air compressor failure, or several other choices that could take the engine out but still leave it able to provide HEP.

Thanks for the explanation. Wasn't sure if the P42 was still in the consist or not.
If you scroll the image in Post #1 over to the right, you can see the Amtrak engine.

The first time I rode #383 many years ago, we did spend the last 30 miles in the dark, that is after waiting a while for the freight engine. Most of the small number of passengers left congregated in the cafe as the battery power was running down. The attendant started giving stuff out free. This must have been before employes became required to perform such customer service acts out of their own pocket.

I do marvel at how passenger numbers have increased since then.

The P42's were brand new at that time; or at least that was the first one I had seen. Now you need a stickie to keep track of the failures.

If you scroll the image in Post #1 over to the right, you can see the Amtrak engine.
Thar she is!

This must have been before employes became required to perform such customer service acts out of their own pocket.
I don't think that's necessarily true (it may be on certain routes). I believe Amtrak has a stash of crackers and mini water bottles for situations like this - at least they did 3 years ago on the Texas Eagle when they rerouted over Illinois and the diner broke down.

With a proper manager on board, it should be easy to supervise the difference between loss for customer service issues vs stealing. If Amtrak is going to pull the position off the train, they should accept a certain amount of losses up to what they would be paying the manager to prevent such.

I don't think that's necessarily true (it may be on certain routes). I believe Amtrak has a stash of crackers and mini water bottles for situations like this - at least they did 3 years ago on the Texas Eagle when they rerouted over Illinois and the diner broke down.
Correct, every Amtrak train is supposed to have "emergency rations" loaded onboard. This includes a bottle of water and a snack pack that typically includes crackers, cheese, nuts or nut bar, and other non-perishables.

Thar she is!

This must have been before employes became required to perform such customer service acts out of their own pocket.

With a proper manager on board, it should be easy to supervise the difference between loss for customer service issues vs stealing. If Amtrak is going to pull the position off the train, they should accept a certain amount of losses up to what they would be paying the manager to prevent such.
Yes they do. On the Pacific Surfliner, they will use the emergency rations if they run out of the normal business class snack packs.

The attendant was doling out regular cafe car fare. Crackers and mini water in place of the diner is not in the same league. If you think so, you've been around Amtrak too long. :angry:

Thanks for the explanation. Wasn't sure if the P42 was still in the consist or not.
The attendant started giving stuff out free. This must have been before employes became required to perform such customer service acts out of their own pocket.
We don't have to pay out of pocket for things like that. I don't recall if you were the one I told in the past that no, under no circumstances are we to give away liquor, beer, or wine. Anything else can be given out during a disruption, after calling an OBS manager and getting their permission. We still need to keep track of what is given out however, because if we don't document it properly on our paperwork, then yes it will come out of our pocket.

I have only experienced one breakdown thus far in my career, and we retained HEP, so we did not open up the full cafe stock until after the emergency meals and waters were exhausted. But I have been told during training that generally if the power is out and temps rise enough to put the food past the point of being able to "save" from spoiling, then it will usually be given away, as opposed to letting it go bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back