Crap on the Cap

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrote to the Director of AMTRAK customer service in Philadelphia by name after a major problem on the SWC returning 1/12 and received a personally signed letter of apology AND a $600 voucher. Just wanted the problem solved and was not expecting the voucher.

WE can make AMTRAK better if WE write in addition to comments on AU. Somethings we have no control over, somethings we can affect.

NAVYBLUE
Was the issue actually fixed, or did you get an apology and a voucher and the problem persists?

It's particularly galling when you consider that the Cap is, along with the Starlight and Builder, supposed to be one of Amtrak's "show-off" trains while the Chief isn't...and yet service was a bit better on the Chief (my only issues there simply related to my SCA having the Transdorm as well, something Ican sympathize with).
Really? I have never seen anything that would put the Capitol Limited on the "Elite" list of LD trains. Nor the Chief for that matter, though the latter had some fine pedigree to which it faltered then struggled to overcome in the early Amtrak years. I have only heard the Empire Builder to be the Flagship of Amtrak's long distance service and the Coast Starlight as Amtrak California's Flagship, making it sorta de facto a 2nd Amtrak fancy train.
At the very least, the dining service on the Cap was "upgraded" (to china dishes and whatnot). This also came up when I raised the possibility of flipping the Cap back to Viewliners (to make the Pennsylvanian through cars easier, etc. and to stretch the Superliners further out west).
Perhaps with the new Viewliner order, this could happen. Then run the CL through WAS all the way to NYP like the Card.

Or like the B&O did when they first ran it?:p

That actually brings up another idea for another thread...

Anyhow, I have a complaint letter drafted. Where do I send it?

From the current timetable:

Service on the Capitol Limited
Coaches: Reservations required.
Sleeping cars: Superliner sleeping accommodations.
Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge/ClubAcela available in Wash ing ton and
Chicago for Sleeping car passengers.
Dining: Enhanced Dining Car service; complete meals served on china.
Sightseer Lounge: Sandwiches, snacks and beverages.
Checked baggage at select stations.

Why would Amtrak tout Enhanced Dining Car service when the staff seemingly does nothing to enhance the dining experience?
To me, enhanced implies better than usual and the posts on this thread lead me to believe it's anything but that.

We all know that the menus are the same so, in the case of the CL, enhanced must mean the same old food put on a china plate served by staff with bad attitudes..

No passenger, sleeper or coach, should have to beg for service during meal times and they most definitely should not be scolded or treated poorly by staff.

I haven't had the pleasure of taking the CL yet but, before I do, I sure hope someone takes up these poor service issues with the route manager or whatever they're called.

Or like the B&O did when they first ran it?:p
That actually brings up another idea for another thread...

Anyhow, I have a complaint letter drafted. Where do I send it?
The service manager for this train is Linda Anderson, based in Wash. DC. unfortunately I am not sure of an address. My guess is that her office is in REA bldg on 2nd st NE, but not 100% sure...

Amtrak has been trying ever since they split the Cap off into a separate train to put as much lipstick possible on a pig to see if it would perform. It has not quite lived upto their expectations, even being the lowest fare train from Chicago to the east coast. It seemed to be beyond their meager intelligence to comprehend that theyw ere inherently gutting a woriing system by essentially removing through single seat service from the Pennsy Main line and expecting everyone to transfer, while they were busy serving ..... drumroll .... Cumberland! Such was the brilliance of the man from Toronto!

When they did the split they needed to show that it is capable of performing, so they chose it to go on the route with bigger population centers, and relegated the Broadway to a route which had exactly two reasonable population centers, and then proceeded to kill the Boradway even though it basically performed more or less as well as the Cap. Now they are trying to resurrect the same thing as existed before they split the Cap off as a separate train to try to get the Cap to perform, and this time with the ex-Broadway part on the more populous route too to boot! :) Oh well...... what goes around comes around after a decade or two. Without that where would consultants whether internal or external be?

OK, now I am done moaning for the day! :p

From the current timetable:

Service on the Capitol Limited
Coaches: Reservations required.
Sleeping cars: Superliner sleeping accommodations.
Amtrak Metropolitan Lounge/ClubAcela available in Wash ing ton and
Chicago for Sleeping car passengers.
Dining: Enhanced Dining Car service; complete meals served on china.
Sightseer Lounge: Sandwiches, snacks and beverages.
Checked baggage at select stations.

Why would Amtrak tout Enhanced Dining Car service when the staff seemingly does nothing to enhance the dining experience?
To me, enhanced implies better than usual and the posts on this thread lead me to believe it's anything but that.

We all know that the menus are the same so, in the case of the CL, enhanced must mean the same old food put on a china plate served by staff with bad attitudes..

No passenger, sleeper or coach, should have to beg for service during meal times and they most definitely should not be scolded or treated poorly by staff.

I haven't had the pleasure of taking the CL yet but, before I do, I sure hope someone takes up these poor service issues with the route manager or whatever they're called.
Just take it westbound as most of the complaints seem to be about the eastbound CL.

My first LD trip on Amtrak was on the CL/CZ westbound and I don't recall any problems with the dining staff on either trains.

The Capitol, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight, and Auto Train have real china and glassware. Oddly enough my worst dining car staffs have been encountered on the Captiol and Starlight.

My last trip on the Empire Builder (feb. 2013) was the best dining car service anyone could ask for (far exceeded via rail). As did my 2 trips so far on the City of New Orleans. My trip last week on the Crescent was average service, above average food (same menu, just garnished and prepared exceptionally well).

Really? I have never seen anything that would put the Capitol Limited on the "Elite" list of LD trains. Nor the Chief for that matter, though the latter had some fine pedigree to which it faltered then struggled to overcome in the early Amtrak years. I have only heard the Empire Builder to be the Flagship of Amtrak's long distance service and the Coast Starlight as Amtrak California's Flagship, making it sorta de facto a 2nd Amtrak fancy train.
Ahem... excuse me... the CS is not operated by CalTrans, it is operated by Amtrak.

Last I heard, CalTrans did not serve Oregon and Washington. And the CS does. And, no, Oregon is not part of Califormia.

Unfortunately, somewhere in the past I got the idea that the Cap Ltd experience would be kind of like that on the EB and the CS, which are my favorite trains and truly wnderful. Hubby and I are booked on the CL in December -- and I truly hope that you AU'ers that ride it between now and then will be vocal and help Amtrak to "get it right" before then. I also would like to know Linda Anderson's contact info, just in case I need it, ha, ha!

Just a thought: Since the CL crew is based in WAS, maybe they 'party hardy' in CHI and are very tired, hungover and grumpy on the return trip to WAS... No excuse, of course, but a possible explanation...

EDIT: I should add that I had okay service on #30 when I took it last July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you think the crew arrives in CHI at 8:45am, and the same crew turns right around and goes back to WAS at 6:10 the same evening? Surely this is not a hardship -- the whole shift would be less than 48 hours (even counting the turnaround time in CHI), and that is about the same as a shift on any of the western LD trains.

Do you think the crew arrives in CHI at 8:45am, and the same crew turns right around and goes back to WAS at 6:10 the same evening? Surely this is not a hardship -- the whole shift would be less than 48 hours (even counting the turnaround time in CHI), and that is about the same as a shift on any of the western LD trains.
That is correct. They do a same day turn.

I think the moral of the story is that in all situations where you encounter excessively bad, or excessively good service no one will recognize it unless it is communicated. Nothing says you have to necessarily be seeking compensation when you make the complaint, but if you don't voice your opinion directly to the company (regardless of industry) it will never get fixed. As a hotelier I make mention of any issues I find on any stay (regardless of whether I'm a paying guest, or it's comp). Even if it doesn't inconvenience or bother me I report it so it can be resolved, same goes for service. If there is an agent or housekeeper that was great I always let someone know so they can recognize that person.

I'll fire off my letter once I know how to address it...my main thing is not having it vanish into an ether.

Edward - I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Unfortunately, this forum is made up of Amtrak passengers and a few crew members who like to discuss trains, so your message won't get passed along. (Do consider joining, though, since you ride Amtrak frequently!)
I would recommend calling Amtrak Customer Relations at 1-800-USA-RAIL. You may have to leave a message or wait for an official response, but several people on this forum have had good luck and even received small travel vouchers as compensation. Be sure to let them know your travel date, your train number, and a description of the conductor so they can determine who was assigned to that car.

If you'd rather send a letter, you can mail it to:

Amtrak Office of Customer Relations

60 Massachusetts Ave. NE

Washington, DC 20002

I suggest calling, though, since it can take several weeks for them to process your letter and send you a response. Some people send email, but most of them are told to call the toll-free number. The number really is the best way to go.
*cough*

;)

Edward - I'm sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Unfortunately, this forum is made up of Amtrak passengers and a few crew members who like to discuss trains, so your message won't get passed along. (Do consider joining, though, since you ride Amtrak frequently!)
I would recommend calling Amtrak Customer Relations at 1-800-USA-RAIL. You may have to leave a message or wait for an official response, but several people on this forum have had good luck and even received small travel vouchers as compensation. Be sure to let them know your travel date, your train number, and a description of the conductor so they can determine who was assigned to that car.

If you'd rather send a letter, you can mail it to:

Amtrak Office of Customer Relations

60 Massachusetts Ave. NE

Washington, DC 20002

I suggest calling, though, since it can take several weeks for them to process your letter and send you a response. Some people send email, but most of them are told to call the toll-free number. The number really is the best way to go.
*cough*

;)
Ha, ha, thank you, Sorcha, for a very well-explained set of directions! I am copying this for my records now...

Mine is going to go to Boardman as well. I'd rather send it to the train's superior officer (as indicated earlier in the thread), but I figure Boardman is a modestly better option than customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:
While writing to Mr. Boardman is no doubt better, it's not a waste of time to phone customer relations. The only time we ever phoned to voice a complaint (along with a compliment for the way the crew handled the problem), we received a travel voucher even though we had not asked for any compensation. I'm sure the phone agents must account for these somehow, so we felt that our messages would have been passed upward, as we had requested.

We just returned from a LD trip. One leg was on the CL EB to WAS. This was our first time to ride this train. First our SCA put us in the wrong car. We had to move all of our stuff to another car. Embarrassing. We never had any ice. We were sent to the diner car for it. We had a roomette(#2) across the hall from our SCA. He stayed closed up in his room most of the trip. He sat and watched us make up/down our beds without offering to help. The bathroom near our room had no toilet paper from 10 pm to 8 am, no air freshener, and no hand sanitizer. The dining car service wasn't much better. Our order was supposed to have the vegetable medley. It did not. The service was very slow.

-And to reprimand me for not coming to breakfast early enough.

Now to be fair, my first LD train was SSLTD1 from NOL-LAX. At lunch Alice Wong, our waitress has a sharped tounge sense of humor that shocked at first but had us all rolling in the aisle. Lunch out of New Orleans one of my table mates said they would pass on desert when she took the order for deserts. When she brought them to the table he commented how good it looks and he wanted one. She replied with, Nope, sorry too late," left and brought what he wanted to the table. Love her sense of humor.

I have had Alice on the Sunset, also, and she was quite entertaining. I asked about the Tilapia fish and she replied, " You don't want that- it's hospital food. . ". Miss Polly on the Texas Eagle is sort of entertaining in a different way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back