Coolers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travelchick45

Train Attendant
My family will be taking the SW Chief in June from FMD to ABQ. My husband is diabetic so he carries a small lunch box sized cooler with him for his insulin. I know that is no problem. However I was thinking I would bring something a little bigger instead so we can bring some pop and snacks along. My husband drinks Diet Coke with Splenda, which is hard to find, and I know Amtrak has only Pepsi products. The rest of us aren't diabetic so we want something to drink as well without

having to pay for drinks in the snack car. We are getting 2 roomettes so meals are included, but we have 2 teenagers that think they will die if they don't have snacks. :) Plus we are road tripping it from ABQ to the Grand Canyon, then down to Carlsbad, NM in a rental car before looping back to ABQ to go home on the SW Chief so I want to have space for some sandwich stuff.

I was thinking about a cooler that would be 28 quart sized or less. Will they allow that?

Nice trip!

Not a problem since you're carrying it aboard.

In fact since you are each entitled to carry on 2 items, why not have your kiddos carry a cooler with the stuff they like, and y'all can carry your snacks and drinks of choice aboard!

I just picked up a Yeti 20 Roadie for a long road trip. I had cold drinks after almost a week! Best cooler out there by far.

Regardless of the rules about dimension of carry-ons, I don't think I've heard of anyone being hassled bringing something (reasonable) into a roomette. However, there is not a huge amount of free space in a roomette when occupied by two. If you go too large it just may be in the way.

Regardless of the rules about dimension of carry-ons, I don't think I've heard of anyone being hassled bringing something (reasonable) into a roomette. However, there is not a huge amount of free space in a roomette when occupied by two. If you go too large it just may be in the way.
I've never had a problem with anything I've ever brought onboard and stored in my roomette. Shoot, I've literally dragged a 30 pack of Coors onboard, along with two backpacks, a cooler to keep the beer in, and a roller suitcase. Since I'm funny with people possibly getting into my stuff if I put any luggage in the storage rack on the lower level, I just asked the SLA if I could just keep the upper bed in the down position so I could keep all that stuff up and out of the way below. No problem, he said. So from my experience, they don't even count a cooler as a carry on item. (I could be wrong and was allowed to because they had pity on me for all the stuff I was lugging)

Definitely want to think about the limited space. I travel with a soft-sided cooler that's 14x7x12 inches and holds 12 beverage cans (less if you want to add ice). It fits nicely between roomette seat and wall.

No problem. Bring a cooler. It will be handy at your destination. We travel in a sleeper and bring a cooler on wheels filled with beer and leave it in the luggage area downstairs.

I bring a small soft-sided cooler that I can fold semi-flat and stick in with other luggage when I'm not using it.

No problem. Bring a cooler. It will be handy at your destination. We travel in a sleeper and bring a cooler on wheels filled with beer and leave it in the luggage area downstairs.
Great idea. What do you use for your overnight trips? ;)

I have one of these myself.

31%2BCiVURPpL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

It's the Igloo Island Breeze 28 roller. It has a telescoping handle. The side handles are fixed though and don't pull out. It should easily meet the carry on size. It might be tough putting one in the overhead space, but should be fine in a roomette.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back