Confirmation of what some of us suspected...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot imagine that anyone would want to book a reservation or eticket for next year knowing that it's going to cost them a C-note in the event they change their mind and decide to take a cruise!
Yet people buy nonrefundable plane tickets all the time, even for trips months and months in advance. Yeah, I do love the current Amtrak policy but this new policy, if true, wouldn't really cause me to change my

travel patterns.
But they always have the choice available to buy a fully refundable ticket at a higher price, which apparently won't be available on Amtrak should the rumors circulating here prove to be true.

The new 24-hour window on refundability of airline tickets in the US is required by law, the same law that said all postings of airfares on line require the full price including all required taxes and fees. (I say required because I know that Sprit and Allegiant's charge a ~$10 booking fee not listed in the original fare search unless you physically go to the airport and buy your tickets at the ticket counter, all the other airlines are the opposite with extra fees for booking thru the call center or on-line, this fee is to show a cheeper fare on-line and assume few people will actually go to the airport to buy a ticket). These two rules only began on January 26th of this year.

VIA has many more non-refundable tickets than Amtrak and all of these restrictive reservations are refundable within 24 hours of purchase.

The Amtrak Reservation/Payment rules still don't make that much sense to me. On my upcoming trip I need a ticket with my bike from unstaffed Kewanee to Chicago just back one-way, I know exactly when I need to go, want to make sure I get one of just 4 bike tickets on the train and want the 250 AGR points (since I have S status), bike earns its own points since it has its own ticket, at least it did on this trip last year. At the end of June it was time to make reservations. I tried to book a multi-city trip NYP-CHI and KEE-CHI but the website didn't like that. I tried to call an agent but didn't feel like waiting 40 minutes (yes the voice told me it was that long a wait) so I booked separate reservations, assuming my KEE-CHI tickets would arrive in plenty of time. They didn't by last week so I called an agent (they hadn't been mailed yet), told him that I wanted to attach the reservations together and pick them up all at once. He didn't do that instead refunding my money and putting a hold on the Kewanee Reservation until the day after my LSL departure. Yesterday I was in Penn Station (with the usual long line for a ticket window, Chicago seems to be equally long) and wanted to see if I could pick up Kewanee ticket at a Quick-Track machine and not have to wait in line. I swiped my AGR card, the reservation came up and then it wanted a credit card for payment after a few tries I put my card in and a few more screens than normal out came my two tickets (one for passenger, one for my bike) it also asked me if I wanted a receipt (said yes, why not) and a third ticket with even less information on it than one of the new eTickets popped out. I also noticed that these two tickets had NYP as the place of issue, not INT like all my others (it would be need when you buy one via the iPhone app if APP was the place of issue). I also have two $24.40 charges from Amtrak and a $24.40 refund from Amtrak.

The 7-day rule didn't apply to me on that reservation, my hold would was going to be like ten days. The agent didn't ask for my Lake Shore Reservation Number, he just asked for the date. (I didn't ask for a refund either just a change of delivery options)

Amtrak definitely needs more disclosure on re-fundability when you buy a ticket. I know that all of the 25% off advance purchase NEC fares are non-refundable (but exchangeable) but when you buy one it just says "This ticket may be non-refundable." I still remember the one time I was actually a no-show on a reservation (got a ride where I was planning to take the train at the last minute) and called up when I got that evening assuming that to not forfeit the 10% I would ask for an Amtrak voucher but was surprised when the agent said "Do you want your $ back?"

I have traveled by eTickets a few times and the Important Information listed on the bottom of the ticket PDF print out is this (if your curious):

Your eTicket is only valid for the services reserved. This document • NARP MEMBER DSCT: 3-DAY ADV RES & MEMBER I.D. RQRD can be used on all segments listed.

If your travel plans change, call us before departure to change your reservation. If you do not notify us, and do not board your train, your entire reservation will be cancelled; the money you've paid for the trip will be stored in an eVoucher that you may redeem at an

Amtrak station ticket office for future travel. If you subsequently board a different train without notifying us beforehand you will have to pay for it separately; the conductor cannot apply the credit from your cancelled reservation. Refund restrictions, and penalties for failure to cancel unwanted travel, may apply.

• Refer to your latest eTicket to confirm the services you have reserved. If you have changed the itinerary in your reservation but have not reprinted the eTicket, it may not reflect your current itinerary. At some large stations, a gate agent may need to view your most current itinerary. You can obtain an updated copy of your eTicket at Quik-Trak or a ticket office (if either is available).

• To change your travel plans, obtain information about Amtrak policies, or for any other matter, call Amtrak at 1-800-USA-RAIL.

• At the station, check the departure board or ask an Amtrak employee where to board your train.

• For important baggage policy information, visit www.amtrak.com/baggage.

• Smoking is prohibited on all Amtrak services except for a designated area on Auto Train.

I like the fact also Amtrak still wants you to call them and doesn't say you can also make changes on line.

(Edit fixing formatting)

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay we usually book a long time in advance. We pay by charge and pick the tickets up at the window of the train the day we leave. Are they talking about a ten percent fee for this too?

A ten-percent refund fee to get a full cash refund you would still be able to apply the full value of your tickets to a future reservation (which is presently the only option on a no-show eTicket) but not a no-show reservation or regular cash value ticket

Just to be clear, there is still 100% exchangability, right? I take Amtrak enough that even if I have to scrap an expensive trip, I'll usually end up being able to use the voucher at some point (either for myself or for a friend).

An addendum to the above: If exchangability isn't preserved, I'm going to seriously consider using AGR points to "hold" anything that is "locked" to the higher buckets until the last minute, and then swap the points out for my actual reservation.

Speaking of no shows, the "All Aboard" Yahoo group is ablaze with discussion of the fact that with e-ticketing, we now also get airline style cancelation of the ENTIRE reservation after you are listed as a no show at your stop of origin.

Flexabillity to board at a station down the line is gone, and you'd better make sure that the conductor scans your barcode. This is going to be a bit of a pain for me, as pretty much all of my LD trips start out with a BWI to WAS regional ticket that sometimes goes unused (for example, if I'm meeting the wife in DC, her regional ticket will not be used).

Speaking of no shows, the "All Aboard" Yahoo group is ablaze with discussion of the fact that with e-ticketing, we now also get airline style cancelation of the ENTIRE reservation after you are listed as a no show at your stop of origin.
I believe that there is a two hour window before it cancels.

Flexabillity to board at a station down the line is gone, and you'd better make sure that the conductor scans your barcode. This is going to be a bit of a pain for me, as pretty much all of my LD trips start out with a BWI to WAS regional ticket that sometimes goes unused (for example, if I'm meeting the wife in DC, her regional ticket will not be used).
In this specific case, it would not be a problem for you. You won't get separate tickets anymore. Just the one barcode for everyone traveling on that reservation. So when you board at BWI, you'll be scanned and that will preserve the reservation from cancelling. The conductor may or may not query where you wife is, but otherwise he/she shouldn't care that she's boarding in DC.

Remember, the 24 hour refund period for the airlines is largely because the airlines don't allow you to hold a reservation without paying for it. Amtrak does, up to 7 days, depending on the route. You have the opportunity to reserve without paying for it at all on Amtrak, and then change your mind. So, in all fairness, because Amtrak allows you to hold unpaid reservations, the 24 hour refund period is not necessary.

I am l pretty new to Amtrak travel and reservations and I am confused. :unsure: I booked a round trip ticket for two in July for travel starting in October via the phone. These tickets are to be used in conjunction with another AGR reservation. I received an email confirmation and this is what is said...

Reservation Number Is XXXXXX

Subject To Cancellation Unless Purchased By October X, 2012 (date of travel)

I took that to mean I do not need to pay for these tickets until just before travel in October. Am I in danger of losing these tickets? I would like to also mention that over half of the price is being paid for by a travel voucher issued because a a major delay from my trip in March. Should I call and pay for these tickets or should I stop into WAS and pay and pick up tickets?

For people that don't like the 10% refund rule, will maybe think more in advance. People today have the attitude that if I buy something and then don't want it, I will just give it back for a refund. That costs money to retailers including Amtrak. I am just grateful that Amtrak's refund/exchange policy is the way it is. I had a trip scheduled for Boston earlier in the year when we got extremly sick. We had to cancel the last minute. We lost money on show tickets and hotel reservation but at least I was able to get a voucher for Amtrak.

Does the 10% rule apply to changes out just outright cancellations? If it doesn't apply to changes, then the issue of "mistakes" is moot.

Okay we usually book a long time in advance. We pay by charge and pick the tickets up at the window of the train the day we leave. Are they talking about a ten percent fee for this too?
You will no longer be picking up tickets. You'll be issued an e-ticket when you charge the reservation and you'll be considered ticketed right then when the charge goes through, just like the airlines. According to the new policy that will go into effect when they roll-out those e-tickets, the 10% will then apply to cash refunds.

Does the 10% rule apply to changes out just outright cancellations? If it doesn't apply to changes, then the issue of "mistakes" is moot.
It only applies to cash refunds from a cancellation. If you use the value for Amtrak travel, you get 100% of the value applied to the new travel. So only if you completely cancel and get refunded in cash will you get dinged for 10%. So, yes, this does not affect mistakes at all. Which I would like to point out is much more generous than the airlines with anything other than full-fare tickets (which most people do not use).

I just cancelled a ticket last week (for travel in September) and received a full refund - no 10% charge.
That is because e-tickets are not yet available and the policy won't go into effect until then. When e-tickets are implemented, you will be charged for a cancellation with a cash refund.

Wrong. E tickets are available on a handful of routes today. As far as I know, full cash refunds are still given on those lines.

I just cancelled a ticket last week (for travel in September) and received a full refund - no 10% charge.
That is because e-tickets are not yet available and the policy won't go into effect until then. When e-tickets are implemented, you will be charged for a cancellation with a cash refund.

Wrong. E tickets are available on a handful of routes today. As far as I know, full cash refunds are still given on those lines.
That is the policy that the agent told me would be in effect when e-tickets are rolled out system-wide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back