Compensation for Service Disruption Possibility?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not expecting 2200 dollars - I would never expect an airline to do vice versa but how about a "sorry for something out of our control, but here is a voucher for future travel." However maybe the taxi would be something for reimbursement. Thoughts on the letter asking for either $200 for the taxi or a voucher for future travel?
There is always a chance if you write a polite letter that includes documentation of your expenses and requests some consideration in the form of a voucher, that Amtrak may well give you something.

But I wouldn't go into it expecting that you'll actually get something, as again, technically Amtrak owes you nothing more than the fare you originally paid them.

We would have been there from Saturday until (if space allowed) Tuesday - a 72 hour delay. Perhaps what you're suggesting is that amtrak shouldn't run on the high line in winter. (I see no reason why they shouldn't and I see safety should always come first. So I don't disagree with the line being shut down - I disagree with their handling of service disruptions.)
When you get stuck in the sticks due to a force majeur, that is what happens.

On 9/11 many passengers got stuck in Gander, Newfoundland for a few days. Heck, even I got stuck in Toronto for a few days and finally drove back. The airline just refunded the ticket. When people get stuck on mountain highways due to avalanche, they get stuck until roads are cleared and rebuilt to be passable. It happens.

Best way to avoid such situations is not to travel.

Could you specifically tell us how you would have handled the service disruption if you were in charge? Since you disagree with the handling I think this is a fair question. Best regards.

When you get stuck in the sticks due to a force majeur, that is what happens.

On 9/11 many passengers got stuck in Gander, Newfoundland for a few days. Heck, even I got stuck in Toronto for a few days and finally drove back. The airline just refunded the ticket. When people get stuck on mountain highways due to avalanche, they get stuck until roads are cleared and rebuilt to be passable. It happens.

Best way to avoid such situations is not to travel.

Could you specifically tell us how you would have handled the service disruption if you were in charge? Since you disagree with the handling I think this is a fair question. Best regards.
That is a very fair question - I think they could have at least said that they could put us in a hotel for a couple nights. A flight would be nice, but isn't taking Amtrak the way to get away from the airlines? Why does this happen to Chicago passengers, but not too many other places? If I read correctly in the Star Tribune, the passengers for MSP had to go to Chicago to have a hotel.

I know Amtrak is (usually) poorly funded, but I didn't see us getting out of there on the first available train - our train and the next day's were very full. There probably weren't enough cars to bring all of the people east. If they had extra cars in Seattle or Portland they could just tack them on and then everyone would have been able to get out when the next train left.

This winter sure has been havoc on the highline, so maybe having buses ready in short notice in a situation like this as a precaution would be in amtrak's interest?

I hope nobody here thinks I won't travel Amtrak again - I am just wondering what Amtrak all does in terms of vouchers like this. I'm not angry.... I'm going to write a pleasant letter stating that we did enjoy our trip out there (even though the toilets froze :lol: ) and asking if they would consider giving us a voucher for future travel.

It's great to have a wide variety of opinions on this forum, and I appreciate both views presented. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back