Commuter Rail from Las Cruces to El Paso

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean Boston, the Bastion of Liberalism did GREAT with the Big Dig, didn't they?
I think long term Boston did pretty well by the big dig, they got rid of a huge elevated freeway, gained parkland and are getting transit extensions (slowly but surely, very slowly) and improvements.
I have to agree. Every time I go to Boston, I use the Big Dig. By the way, there are no tolls on the Big Dig itself, only on the tunnel connecting it to Logan Airport.

I've always wondered why the Sunset is routed along the border instead of through Las Cruses? UP runs it's Freights that way, perhaps they could be flip-flopped and the Sunset would benefit by running through a Growing College town instead of the Ghost towns it serves in the desert!???
It's the geographical location. It has really steep mountains starting just north of El Paso, all the way north, somewhere south of Santa Fe. It's the Great Rift Valley where Rio Grande flows. So building track through Las Cruces is nearly impossible.
Huh? As someone that lived just south of Cruces for 12 years and who had to drive to Cruces to go shopping and drive to El Paso to go to work, methinks you have your hills in the wrong place. The Organ Mountains are on the east side of Cruces. They go north and east, not south so the valley where I lived by the Rio Grande is flat and easily accessible. In fact, the rails are already there. I-10 is also along that route and I never had to go over a mountain in either direction between home and those two cities.

Back