Coast Starlight - Full Coach Business Class?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rms492

Service Attendant
Hello, over on T.O., someone said that there is now a FULL coach of Business Class on the Coast Starlight.

Is that true?

I really don't want to be stuck in the lower level cramped quarters of the Superliner.

I want to experience Business Class only if the entire (upper) level of the Superliner coach is so equipped.

If yes, have all the coaches that are needed ready for service? (i.e., is the conversion to full business class done)/

Thanks in advance

I talked to a Amtrak conductor friend who indicated that there would be a full first class coach implemented sometime by the end of the first quarter 2016. Supposedly the plan is to place the first class coach between the PPC (or substitute cafe/lounge) and the sleepers.

Hello, over on T.O., someone said that there is now a FULL coach of Business Class on the Coast Starlight.

Is that true?

I really don't want to be stuck in the lower level cramped quarters of the Superliner.

I want to experience Business Class only if the entire (upper) level of the Superliner coach is so equipped.

If yes, have all the coaches that are needed ready for service? (i.e., is the conversion to full business class done)/

Thanks in advance
Yea, saw that post too. If there is an intention (and interest to support it), it would make sense to devote an entire BC car. In the photo posted on TO, the BC car did appear to be between the PPC and diner.

I will be anxious to see what the seating layout is like. Maybe 3 across with a bit more pitch for a steeper recline. If it works, it would be great to see this on other LD trains!

I talked to a Amtrak conductor friend who indicated that there would be a full first class coach implemented sometime by the end of the first quarter 2016. Supposedly the plan is to place the first class coach between the PPC (or substitute cafe/lounge) and the sleepers.
Like to see confirmation of this, I have see many posts claim they heard this or that about a upcoming change or rumor from a Conductor, assistant Conductor, or OBS which turned out to have no basis in reality.

But if it is correct, could be that the BC experiment on the Coast Starlight has been successful, so they are modifying entire coach cars to BC. What would be really surprising is that Amtrak would do this that quickly rather than spend 3 years discussing and planning it. If BC is successful on the CS, it could be mainly because of the 2 major daytime travel markets the train serves: LA <-> Bay Area and Seattle <-> Portland.

Not sure what other LD trains have that daytime BC potential major metro markets (with more affluent customers)? Maybe the Texas Eagle with CHI-STL and FTW/Dallas to Austin/San Antonio? Silver Star for Tampa <-> SE Florida?

Like to see confirmation of this, I have see many posts claim they heard this or that about a upcoming change or rumor from a Conductor, assistant Conductor, or OBS which turned out to have no basis in reality.

But if it is correct, could be that the BC experiment on the Coast Starlight has been successful, so they are modifying entire coach cars to BC. What would be really surprising is that Amtrak would do this that quickly rather than spend 3 years discussing and planning it. If BC is successful on the CS, it could be mainly because of the 2 major daytime travel markets the train serves: LA <-> Bay Area and Seattle <-> Portland.

Not sure what other LD trains have that daytime BC potential major metro markets (with more affluent customers)? Maybe the Texas Eagle with CHI-STL and FTW/Dallas to Austin/San Antonio? Silver Star for Tampa <-> SE Florida?
I think you nailed it. Since the coast starlight does blend in with corridor services along its route, it might have helped the Business Class experiment. From LAX -> SLO it blends in with the Surfliner which offers BC and also between Eugene and SEA which also offers BC. Anything in between is probably icing on the cake.

Coming out from under a rock, what is this Business Class business on Starlight? Does anyone have a photo of what the seats look like? What additional facilities one gets on Business Class compared to coach?

It is regular coach seating. Passengers get a $6.00 food voucher, a couple bottles of water, access (for a "small fee") to wine tasting in the PPC and WiFi. Presumably they are simply given the password for the signal from the PPC. Supposedly, BC revenue is to be used to at some point to upgrade the seating.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is regular coach seating. Passengers get a $6.00 food voucher, a couple bottles of water, access (for a "small fee") to wine tasting in the PPC and WiFi. Presumably they are simply given the password for the signal from the PPC. Supposedly, BC revenue is to be used to at some point to upgrade the seating.
It is also from what I hear located in a dedicated lower level and you also get lounge access as well.

One of the funniest things I saw was a whole bunch of folk jam crammed into Business Class on a train from Detroit to Chicago, while us poor ordinary folk had about 6 seats each in coach class :p

Ed. :cool:

One of the funniest things I saw was a whole bunch of folk jam crammed into Business Class on a train from Detroit to Chicago, while us poor ordinary folk had about 6 seats each in coach class :p

Ed. :cool:
And therein lies a big problem with Amtrak's Business Class AFAIC.

My last trip on the CS, sleeper passengers also have to pay for the cheese and wine tasting in the PPC.

My last trip on the CS, sleeper passengers also have to pay for the cheese and wine tasting in the PPC.
The charge came in when they brought back the wine tasting after the "no free wine" mandate that Congress laid down and all the trains with it (Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited) got it cut. They restored the wine tasting on the Starlight a couple months later by charging for it. The cheese was dropped entirely, although you could get a cheese plate from the SSL if you wanted it.

The Empire Builder and the Lakeshore Limited didn't get anything back.

The charge came in when they brought back the wine tasting after the "no free wine" mandate that Congress laid down and all the trains with it (Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, Lakeshore Limited) got it cut. They restored the wine tasting on the Starlight a couple months later by charging for it. The cheese was dropped entirely, although you could get a cheese plate from the SSL if you wanted it.

Might be illegal within California, although I suppose that gets tricky when a train moves. There are limits on the amount of a "free" tasting. No more than an ounce and no more than three individual tastings. It's a lot easier to charge for it, even if it's only something like $5.

When I was in Washington they didn't care. We were getting maybe 3-4 ounce each.

Well, define "free"? e.g. If Amtrak "charges" $5 for the wine tasting to the sleeper account from the wine tasting account but the item is not broken out separately on a bill, does that count as "free", or is it simply being "sold as part of a bundled package" (which I suspect is different). Pre-charging, Amtrak served four wines IIRC...so they clearly had a way around the "free tasting" issue.

There's also been a question asked to the following effect: If either a winery group or the state offered to pick up the tab (e.g. the wineries donating or selling the wine for a nominal fee and perhaps a Chamber of Commerce type group covering that cost), could Amtrak restore the included nature of the tasting?

Well, define "free"? e.g. If Amtrak "charges" $5 for the wine tasting to the sleeper account from the wine tasting account but the item is not broken out separately on a bill, does that count as "free", or is it simply being "sold as part of a bundled package" (which I suspect is different). Pre-charging, Amtrak served four wines IIRC...so they clearly had a way around the "free tasting" issue.

There's also been a question asked to the following effect: If either a winery group or the state offered to pick up the tab (e.g. the wineries donating or selling the wine for a nominal fee and perhaps a Chamber of Commerce type group covering that cost), could Amtrak restore the included nature of the tasting?
Amtrak doesn't include alcohol with sleeper accommodations, so they're already chosen to account for alcohol separately.

The cheese is for sale in the PPC. You don't have to go to the SSL to pick it up and bring it back. When the PPC attendant sells tickets for the wine tasting, he takes orders for the cheese and cracker plate as well. It is the same one they sell in the cafe but no need to go back and forth picking it up.

DSC00152 by B H, on Flickr

DSC00139 by B H, on Flickr

So: how come this is available in the west, and not in the northeast? Another example of inconsistency of service. Oh! I just answered my own question.

So: how come this is available in the west, and not in the northeast? Another example of inconsistency of service. Oh! I just answered my own question.
Possibly a trial run. My understanding is that the business class seating area was converted from what used to be a video game space. I'm not quite sure what that means.

One of the BC cars or more now has the Club-Cafe style BC seats from what I've heard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back