Coast Starlight diversion between Klamath Falls and Eugene?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If Amtrak is playing the Indef game (my jargon for "effective until further notice"), how can a 6/24 onwards can be booked? I think there might be an inconsistency between the notice (infinite) and the reservation system (finite). Don't know how the reservation system works on a disruption that notes the expiration date of infinite. I know how Amtrak works to some extent, but not the exact inner workings of the reservation system.

Also FYI, I was told that you can't find this on the standard alerts page, but instead buried inside the CS information page, which requires some level of digging.
That is the latest estimation from UP. However, instead of putting up dates on the alert that keep changing, they just put it up until further notice. Additionally, UP could wrap up the work prior to the estimated date of completion. if that occurs, the stub train will not run until the 24th. They'll restore normal service ASAP.

As for the res system, they block indefinitely if they so desired. However, it blocked until the latest estimated completion date.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is the latest estimation from UP. However, instead of putting up dates on the alert that keep changing, they just put it up until further notice. Additionally, UP could wrap up the work prior to the estimated date of completion. if that occurs, the stub train will not run until the 24th. They'll restore normal service ASAP.
It appears that that according to a reliable UP source, the SLC reroutes are expected to last for another month. Looks like another twist to the plot is brewing. Don't know how the two will be intertwined. Nobody on Train Orders brought up this information, at least from what I can see.

As for the res system, they block indefinitely if they so desired.
Just out of curiosity, have such actions ever been done in the last 15 years?
Yes, they have...although it rarely happens with rarely with scheduled passenger trains.

It appears that that according to a reliable UP source, the SLC reroutes are expected to last for another month. Looks like another twist to the plot is brewing. Don't know how the two will be intertwined. Nobody on Train Orders brought up this information, at least from what I can see.
All in all, it's just another brick in the wall.

Yes, they have...although it rarely happens with rarely with scheduled passenger trains.

All in all, it's just another brick in the wall.
Another brick in the wall...what does that mean? I have two reservations happening next month, and I have yet to be contacted.

I have two reservations happening next month, and I have yet to be contacted.

I am in the same boat. My train leaves July 1 Eugene to Sacramento. I have an extra problem that I will have a bicycle with me. I am trying to figure out a contingency plan.

Ideas I have so far are:

1. One way rental to Kalmath Falls but in my searching I can find no one way rentals.

2. Rent a small UHaul. Probably going to be hugely expensive.

3. Fly but that would mean packing my bike which is a hassle and takes time. I could ship it straight home but then I won't have it with me in Sacramento, in Chicago and when I get home. My bike was my ride back home. And I might not be able to get a reservation last minute.

4. I belong to a bicycle touring organization. Last resort I could impose on my host to drive me to Klamath Falls but hate doing that.

If anyone has some ideas I am all eyes.
default_wink.png

I sure hope the train runs by the first. That is well past the 23rd date they are giving but from the article I read they are not even certain yet what they will actually find. This not knowing really stinks.

Hers is the article I found

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article213067744.html

This is what concerns me.

As of Thursday morning, repairs should be finished by June 23, said Union Pacific spokesman Justin Jacobs.

"That is subject to change as crews dig that out," Jacobs said.

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/article213067744.html#storylink=cpy
"As we get in there, it’s a little more severe than what we thought," Jacobs said.

Read more here: http://www.
thenewstribune.com/news/local/article213067744.html#storylink=cpy

I have two reservations happening next month, and I have yet to be contacted.

I am in the same boat. My train leaves July 1 Eugene to Sacramento. I have an extra problem that I will have a bicycle with me. I am trying to figure out a contingency plan.

Ideas I have so far are:

1. One way rental to Kalmath Falls but in my searching I can find no one way rentals.

2. Rent a small UHaul. Probably going to be hugely expensive.

3. Fly but that would mean packing my bike which is a hassle and takes time. I could ship it straight home but then I won't have it with me in Sacramento, in Chicago and when I get home. My bike was my ride back home. And I might not be able to get a reservation last minute.

4. I belong to a bicycle touring organization. Last resort I could impose on my host to drive me to Klamath Falls but hate doing that.

If anyone has some ideas I am all eyes.
default_wink.png

I sure hope the train runs by the first. That is well past the 23rd date they are giving but from the article I read they are not even certain yet what they will actually find. This not knowing really stinks.
It's even worse than you think - Amtrak is currently not running any trains between Eugene and Sacramento. You can either hope for the best or be prepared to fly or take (gulp) Greyhound from Eugene to Sacramento.

"No diner" is sad - this is a 14-15 hour trip and southbound would normally serve three meals over this stretch. I guess we can relabel it "Palmetto West" for now...

It's even worse than you think - Amtrak is currently not running any trains between Eugene and Sacramento. You can either hope for the best or be prepared to fly or take (gulp) Greyhound from Eugene to Sacramento.

This is horrible. I thought they were at least going to Klamath Falls from Sacramento but that is not the case. Why isn't the train going from Klamath Falls??

Greyhound is not an option for me as I already stated. They don't take bikes.

And it has happened to the CS. I rode it a few years ago between SJC and SNS when it was a shortened train with just coaxhes and a SSL. Service that say was terminated north of SAC.

Crew on the northbound Starlight today said that the route will be Sacramento - LA "for the foreseeable future". Similar comments heading south on Thursday.

Lots of rumors elsewhere on the Interwebs, all pointing to a fix later rather than sooner. It seems like there's two problems that are making a repair date unpredictable: 1. the collapse is inside the tunnel, which means that the workspace is very constricted, and 2. the ground above the tunnel is unstable, so no one is sure how more work needs to be done.

Spinnaker, I feel your pain. North/south travel options on the west coast are pretty poor. I got stuck in Bend last year, and ending up doing a one-way car rental to Sacramento. I just checked Hertz – one way, Eugene to Sacto on 1 July is around $200. That'd be cheaper than flying with a bike, even adding in gas. It's nice drive, although that's not much consolation.

Crew on the northbound Starlight today said that the route will be Sacramento - LA "for the foreseeable future". Similar comments heading south on Thursday.

Lots of rumors elsewhere on the Interwebs, all pointing to a fix later rather than sooner. It seems like there's two problems that are making a repair date unpredictable: 1. the collapse is inside the tunnel, which means that the workspace is very constricted, and 2. the ground above the tunnel is unstable, so no one is sure how more work needs to be done.

Spinnaker, I feel your pain. North/south travel options on the west coast are pretty poor. I got stuck in Bend last year, and ending up doing a one-way car rental to Sacramento. I just checked Hertz – one way, Eugene to Sacto on 1 July is around $200. That'd be cheaper than flying with a bike, even adding in gas. It's nice drive, although that's not much consolation.
I was never contacted. I have a concern as well. Four trips for the next two months (between 7/15 and 8/31). There seems to be a lot of speculation, with each conflicting the other, as to the exact dates. Does anyone have the link to the latest UP memo?

This is horrible. I thought they were at least going to Klamath Falls from Sacramento but that is not the case. Why isn't the train going from Klamath Falls??

First, isn't there an oversized fee for bicycles? It's easy enough to disassemble one and place it in a box like you would on Amtrak.

As for getting up to Klamath Falls, I think the question is where it could be turned around and serviced. The CS normally only turns around at yards in LA and Seattle. There's a yard in Sacramento.

Since when does Greyhound not take bikes? You have to have it in a bike box (front wheel and pedals removed, and handlebar turned). Some terminals sell the boxes if available, but better to get one in advance. Some bike shops have them. If you travel frequently, you can also get a permanent bike bag or carrier.

Eugene to Sacramento is about a 10-12 hour trip on Greyhound, depending on which of the four daily trips you book....

As for getting up to Klamath Falls, I think the question is where it could be turned around and serviced. The CS normally only turns around at yards in LA and Seattle. There's a yard in Sacramento.
The train did run to Klamath Falls up until a few days ago, so it is possible to terminate/originate a train there (likely using Union Pacific facilities). However, Sacramento already is used as an Amtrak terminus so it is likely much easier there instead. By cancelling service entirely between Sacramento and Eugene, costs are also significantly reduced as busses are no longer needed. While they could run the train to Klamath Falls with no connecting bus, demand would likely be low, especially considering the challenges involved. Therefore, trains can and do turn around in Klamath Falls during short-term obstacles but it is not worth the trouble for a longer-term route blockage.

I was never contacted. I have a concern as well. Four trips for the next two months (between 7/15 and 8/31). There seems to be a lot of speculation, with each conflicting the other, as to the exact dates. Does anyone have the link to the latest UP memo?
Your trips are too far out for anyone to know if the tunnel will be open by then.

The train did run to Klamath Falls up until a few days ago, so it is possible to terminate/originate a train there (likely using Union Pacific facilities). However, Sacramento already is used as an Amtrak terminus so it is likely much easier there instead. By cancelling service entirely between Sacramento and Eugene, costs are also significantly reduced as busses are no longer needed. While they could run the train to Klamath Falls with no connecting bus, demand would likely be low, especially considering the challenges involved. Therefore, trains can and do turn around in Klamath Falls during short-term obstacles but it is not worth the trouble for a longer-term route blockage.
I was thinking of the low demand issue too. But they really should at least run to Klamath Falls regardless. They are already screwing over passengers with canceling the buses. By canceling to Klameth Falls they are screwing over a whole new set of passengers.

I was thinking of the low demand issue too. But they really should at least run to Klamath Falls regardless. They are already screwing over passengers with canceling the buses. By canceling to Klameth Falls they are screwing over a whole new set of passengers.
So, you expect a CEO that has made cost efficiency one of his mantra to run through the middle of the night, create a ton of expenses and servicing issues only to carry a few people?

The market I think is getting the shaft from this is the Seattle-Portland-Eugene market. Yes they have the Cascades but the market is fairly well utilized and I'm sure there is a good short haul ratio on the starlight in that area.

First, isn't there an oversized fee for bicycles? It's easy enough to disassemble one and place it in a box like you would on Amtrak.
Amtrak bike boxes are significant larger (~10 inches taller, ~10 inches longer and a couple inches wider) than a standard bike box, like the one you get from a bike store or as specced by Greyhound (and airlines and UPS/Fedex). A standard box takes a lot more disassembly, and you have to be careful about padding it, because the tolerances are smaller. Last time I did it, it took me a couple of hours to get it right. And you need to get it right because if it comes out mangled on the other end you're screwed.

Even then there's no guarantee. Last year, I used cardboard bike boxes in Europe (on planes, you can just roll aboard on trains and ferries there). On a flight to Oslo, the box burst open and everything was delivered to me in a pile. It was Norway, so everything was there and the pile was neatly and carefully arranged. I was lucky, but luck is a bad basis for planning.

It's annoying to pack a bike into an Amtrak box, enough to discourage casual trips. It's also risky – you don't know pain unless you've seen your bike box sitting on a luggage cart under a ton of suitcases. That's why the roll up policy was welcome, even if poorly conceived and implemented. But it's a total pain and even riskier to pack a bike into a standard cardboard bike box. If you only do it occasionally (like me -- I usually use a hard case that's designed for airline travel) it's a major project.

To say it's "easy enough" means one of two things: either it's something you do all the time (like, you work in a bike shop) or you've never done it at all.

No boxing on the CSL, CZ or CL.

On the CSL and the CZ you hand the bike to an attendant (with bags removed) and they will hang it in the bike car. The CL requires you hang the bike yourself (at least in Cumberland).

Any train you book with a bike symbol has one of these features. It requires reservations.

But boxing in an Amtrak bike is fairly easy . Remove pedals and turn handlebar is about all you need to do. You can still box your bike on trains that take bikes if there are no bike slots left.

Amtrak bike boxes are significant larger (~10 inches taller, ~10 inches longer and a couple inches wider) than a standard bike box, like the one you get from a bike store or as specced by Greyhound (and airlines and UPS/Fedex). A standard box takes a lot more disassembly, and you have to be careful about padding it, because the tolerances are smaller. Last time I did it, it took me a couple of hours to get it right. And you need to get it right because if it comes out mangled on the other end you're screwed.

Even then there's no guarantee. Last year, I used cardboard bike boxes in Europe (on planes, you can just roll aboard on trains and ferries there). On a flight to Oslo, the box burst open and everything was delivered to me in a pile. It was Norway, so everything was there and the pile was neatly and carefully arranged. I was lucky, but luck is a bad basis for planning.

It's annoying to pack a bike into an Amtrak box, enough to discourage casual trips. It's also risky – you don't know pain unless you've seen your bike box sitting on a luggage cart under a ton of suitcases. That's why the roll up policy was welcome, even if poorly conceived and implemented. But it's a total pain and even riskier to pack a bike into a standard cardboard bike box. If you only do it occasionally (like me -- I usually use a hard case that's designed for airline travel) it's a major project.

To say it's "easy enough" means one of two things: either it's something you do all the time (like, you work in a bike shop) or you've never done it at all.

It is not that bad. A heck of a lot easier than packing to ship like I just did. But you right, a LOT easier to just hang the bike. But you need to watch there too. I got on the train in Verona to got up to the Brenner. Some cyclists got on a few stops later and hung their bikes next to mine. I was going to get up to check but didn't. When I got of the train a the Brenner Pass I had a nice scratch on my top tube. The good news it was a glorious ride down the Brenner into Innsbruck. I regret not riding up the Brenner. On my bucket list as well as to ride the road at least most of the May from Landeck to Nauders. It is spectacular.

I do remember on instance when coming back from Italy, watching my bike tumbling down the luggage carousel.
default_sad.png

Back