Coast Starlight and San Jose

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew H Fish

Lead Service Attendant
I created a thread with several different small trips around the Willamette Valley, but this is a much larger trip: an "overnight day trip" to San Jose on the Coast Starlight. This is my first real Amtrak trip since before the pandemic! My first overnight extended trip since before the pandemic. I made a video of it which I hope people will find interesting:

The video focused on a couple things, including the long distance trip to and from San Jose, and with the middle section talking about the city of San Jose itself, including a ride on the VTA lightrail. It is a long video, and not all of it will be interesting to everyone, because the skyscrapers of Silicon Valley and the snow covered trees of the Oregon Cascades might not have the same audience.
But a few things to note---
First, I have taken this route several times before (I think this is my fifth time on the Coast Starlight between the Willamette Valley and the Bay Area), but I continue to be surprised by just how long the middle part is---the part of the trip in the dark between Chemult and Chico going south, and between Sacramento and Klamath Falls going north seems like it has left the normal world and is floating in some type of dreamworld of never ending trees on an infinite plateau. Which can be very enchanting, but also very boring. Hopefully the part of the video that shows snow-covered trees isn't too boring!
Second, San Jose is an interesting city from a transit viewpoint. When the San Jose Didiron station was built, San Jose was a farming town with 50,000 people. It is now around 1,000,000 just in the city, the 10th largest city in the US, and also one of the richest and most important cities in the world. As the Bay Area grew, many of the transit systems put in place were obsolete by the time they were finished. The VTA lightrail, while it is good enough as far as it goes, has less service than the Portland MAX. The BART doesn't go to San Jose yet. So the San Jose station has long distance Amtrak, Capitol Corridor, Caltran, VTA and Altamont Corridor Express---five different rail systems all using one station, and all designed at different times to do different things. On one hand, the flexibility of these systems allows passengers to do different things, but it also seems they were jury rigged.
I also find it ironic that the San Jose Didiron station was not at all high-tech---I would think that in the technological capital of the world, the train station would have maybe wifi or electrical outlets to recharge phones, but it had neither.

My daughter & her family live about a 10 min walk from Diridon. When I visited them a few years ago I booked a hotel near the airport but on a road that the light rail ran on. That way I could take the light rail to Diridon and walk to their place saving them having to give me rides. Bonus was the light rail went right under their windows, so one day I took it to the next stop so I could wave to the kids from the train. :)

Last edited:
My daughter & her family live about a 10 min walk from Didiron. When I visited them a few years ago I booked a hotel near the airport but on a road that the light rail ran on. That way I could take the light rail to Didiron and walk to their place saving them having to give me rides. Bonus was the light rail went right under their windows, so one day I took it to the next stop so I could wave to the kids from the train. :)
The hardest part of this story for me to understand is that people, especially families, still live in San Jose---it was a beautiful city, but it is hard to understand how anyone can afford to live there! :)

The hardest part of this story for me to understand is that people, especially families, still live in San Jose---it was a beautiful city, but it is hard to understand how anyone can afford to live there! :)
They moved there from Cupertino. Probably to save a few pennies on rent. :)
My SIL would walk to Diridon to catch his work bus. By taking the light rail I was able to tell him a nicer way walk to the station, via the light rail station.

Last edited:
I enjoyed your video, Mr. Fish. I lived in San Jose for 33 years and it provided a reminiscence of my times there.

The VTA light rail system cost a fortune when it was finally constructed. However, at least during the non-commute hours, I don't think I ever saw more than 2-3 passengers riding on the train. Oh well, light rail systems are good for the politicians.

The San Jose Amtrak station was once a SP station. The current building opened in 1935. I always thought it interesting to travel along an underground passageway to get to the train tracks at ground level. Probably not a rare occurrence but I did find it interesting.

As you mentioned in the video, the Starlight gets into San Jose at around 8 PM. I appreciated the earlier boarding time compared to the boarding time for my nearest Amtrak station, in Martinez, where the northbound Starlight gets in at 10:30 PM. I took many trips on the CS when I lived in San Jose. Your video appears to be during the winter months with all the snow. It must have been great scenery traveling though the lower Cascades. In the summer, and with longer days, you can see Mt. Shasta as you get into Klamath, especially if the train is late.

The other advantage in catching a train in San Jose is that you can also hop on a Capitol Corridor train. I used the Cap. Corridor train, once, for a trip to the Calif. State Railroad Museum in Sacramento. It was a fun trip.

High housing costs in San Jose? I think so. I bought a house in 1974 (about 1300 sq. feet) for $ 48,000. Thirty-three years later I sold the house for $ 625,000. However, the capital gains tax was over $ 80,000 !

I don't like big cities, so I was glad to leave San Jose. San Jose did have a couple of nice small towns nearby. Los Gatos and Saratoga. We would often drive over to Saratoga for dinner at one of their fine restaurants. However, you would need a bank loan to pay for the cost of the meal.

Your video appears to be during the winter months with all the snow. It must have been great scenery traveling though the lower Cascades. In the summer, and with longer days, you can see Mt. Shasta as you get into Klamath, especially if the train is late.
Not during the winter--last weekend, May 27th to May 29th. It has just been a wet and chilly spring.

Back