Coach passengers in the PPC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjaynes288

Train Attendant
On my last trip on the CS coach passengers were invited to the PPC for drinks during certain times. The parlour car attendent really wanted people to come try his mimosa during breakfast. What is going on here?

When was that?? I've never seen that, except for the time when the wine & cheese tasting was opened to coach passengers for a cost.

I've never really noticed the Parlour car's drink service being loudly touted at all, come to think of it. The Lounge car... those announcements sometimes get pretty beggy, but never the Parlour car.

The Parlour car attendant did once *pretend* to make a train-wide announcement... on finding out from my (then) 11 year old that she was homeschooled he got on the loudspeaker and asked if there were any schoolteachers on the train, to come give this homeschooled kid a test to see if she really knew anything (or something like that... it was kind of bizarre...), but actually he was only using the PPC's speakers not broadcasting out to the train. He came back over and gave my daughter a Coast Starlight pin and deck of cards. She was suitably amused.

Another sleeper "amenity" bites the dust, a la AutoTrain?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Amtrak Forum mobile app

Last week on the CS the PPC attendant announced several times that she'd sell mimosas to coach passengers. She made a point of saying that it was a special deal, not normally offered.

BTW, I'm now 5 for 5 over the last 1-1/2 years of not getting an actual PPC on the CS. Twice it was a sightseer lounge, and 3 times those crappy diner/lounge cars.

I agree that the LSA in the Parlor Car is trying to raise revenue due to the current ongoing "cut costs mania!"

Long as it doesn't force sleeping car passengers out of the few seats in the PPC I have no problem with this!(were the Coach pax allowed to hang out in the PPC or were the drinks "to go?"

Also totally agree that having a SSL or a CCC substitute for a PPC sucks!

I rode in a roomette twice last week from LAX-SJC and 2 days later from SJC-PDX. There were very few drinks ordered and I did buy the 2 for 1 mimosas both mornings. They also make a weak but tasty bloody mary. As far as I know there were no coach people invited, but, I almost never hear what is said on the overhead speakers. I did sit one whole day with some very train savvy guys that were on their way home to Montana after 5 weeks of train travel.

Yes, They did know Montana Mike personally.

I've ridden the CS a number times, never encountered this, well except when they were wine tasting for a fee to coach passengers. On my last trip they made pretty adamant announcements that PPC was for sleepers ONLY.

As long as the coach critters are sent back to their seats and aren't allowed to occupy seating in the PPC, that's ok...but what happens when one or many of the great unwashed decide to plop down in those comfy chairs? Will the attendant be vigilant in keeping them out? Sounds like a recipe for a confrontation.

One hardly expects all Americans to be polite and considerate of others, Frisky, but it is so upsetting for me to learn that your countrymen who are less wealthy than you don't wash, and smell bad. Do you have to wear a mask when in common area's of the train? Poor you!

Ed :cool:

One hardly expects all Americans to be polite and considerate of others, Frisky, but it is so upsetting for me to learn that your countrymen who are less wealthy than you don't wash, and smell bad. Do you have to wear a mask when in common area's of the train? Poor you!

Ed :cool:
Well stated, Ed. I don't mean to direct this only to Frisky, but to any one who has the attitude that those who are less wealthy are not worthy.

Also, traveling in Coach doesn't always reflect someone's economic status. Some people prefer Coach because they like to be around people, some prefer it to save money, and some people are there because they have to travel on blackout/busy/sold-out dates and can't get a sleeper (not that I'd know... ;) )

For that matter, if someone is in a sleeper, that doesn't automatically mean they're loaded. Some people have been saving up for a year, some use points, and some use a credit card they can pay off over time.

I'm so tired of these stereotypes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the idea of Coach passengers being invited into the PPC to order a drink. It gives them a chance to check out the posh threads and meet some folks in an adult beverage-lounge atmosphere. Such is a good move, as Amtrak is able to earn from increased drink sales during that period.

During the time that the car is available to Coach passengers for drink purchase, a special snack could also be made available for purchase. A few possible choices come to mind such as a high-quality pizza slice or a chicken quesadilla that can be prepared in advance, individually packaged and frozen then warmed in an oven at purchase.

I'm hoping that Frisky was being sarcastic, but that's a very good point. Once the PPC gets opened to all comers, it would be hard to stop. It does seem like they're trying to drum up sales to support the PPC - I wonder whether the PPC is really on life support.

I've often wondered whether they could reduce PPC expenses by leaving it unstaffed. However, it seems like it would soon become just a second lounge car for the whole train, which defeats the purpose.

I'm hoping that Frisky was being sarcastic, but that's a very good point. Once the PPC gets opened to all comers, it would be hard to stop. It does seem like they're trying to drum up sales to support the PPC - I wonder whether the PPC is really on life support.

I've often wondered whether they could reduce PPC expenses by leaving it unstaffed. However, it seems like it would soon become just a second lounge car for the whole train, which defeats the purpose.
Frankly, I'm not actually sure that defeats the purpose. I believe that the core need for the PPC is due to overcrowding in the lounge and dining car. It may make sense to make a "first class" lounge... or it may make sense to just have a second lounge for the whole train.

Either way, I'd prefer it to one crowded lounge serving the entire 4-coach/3.5-sleeper train. But one lounge appears to be the new (IMHO bad) plan for the Auto Train.

(The CZ is 3-coach/2.5-sleeper, and its lounge gets crowded. The EB is 5 coach/3.5-sleeper and also needs a second lounge. The Auto Train is 4 coach/6 sleeper... so seriously... did nobody in Amtrak management read the PIPs?)

... so seriously... did nobody in Amtrak management read the PIPs?)
Based on how many recommendations and suggestions have been implemented, or at least seem to be still in progress of being implemented, it would seem that the PIPs were perhaps read, but then quickly forgotten or discarded. ;)

Just departed SEA on southbound 11. The ppc attendant made an announcement that he would be inviting coach pax at certain points to the parlor car.

I got an amenity bag but no splits of bubbly. However I'm in the teams dorm so that might be part of it. Lastly the attendant told me that we would have the wine and cheese tasting today.

got off the cs yesterday. coach passengers were invited into the ppc for 30 minutes morning and evening for bar service. it seemed to me that they are trying to increase revenue for the car and possibly lure future sleeper pax
That is very reasonable and provided it isn't done during meal time should not lead to over crowding of the PPC. And it is a good way to preview the Sleeper Service to potential future customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back