Clinic on how to run a diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If a couple wishes to eat alone perhaps they should eat in their sleeper.
We're talking about people who could easily be paying $1,000-$2,000 each way for a single bedroom on a long trip. So they eat in their cramped room three times a day for three days each way?
Yes, if they want to eat alone.
Now that we've gotten the low effort no compromise "solution" out of the way perhaps we can explore a more nuanced and amicable resolution.

We're talking about people who could easily be paying $1,000-$2,000 each way for a single bedroom on a long trip. So they eat in their cramped room three times a day for three days each way?
So? People are used to eating in their own house on the couch in front of the TV.
Call me crazy but I think Amtrak's silhouette of a couple enjoying a romantic dinner aboard the train is actually a great marketing tool. All they need to do to make it a reality is charge a little more for exclusive table service. Maybe they could also include a nicer table setting and/or improved meal options to go along with it. That could do wonders to realizing some of Amtrak's true potential.

Eating in your own room is basically the same thing, but probably more relaxing. Of course, you don't get to meet people, but that would be OK if you are in a bad mood yourself. Don't go to the diner to rant and get others angry. Eat in your room.
So calmly desiring a slightly more romantic experience for you and your special someone is equivalent to ranting about sour grapes? Tough crowd.

Last edited by a moderator:
A more nuanced and amicable resolution?

It's not like anyone here runs Amtrak or can alter its operations.

Anyway, with a name like Devil's Advocate, you should be prepared to catch a little you know what. :)

i think I had her. :giggle:

We had a 6pm reservation, and went to the dining car at 6pm. All the tables were still full so we figured we just had to wait. The LSA very sternly told us that it wasn't 6pm until she announced over the PA system that it was 6pm. The real thing wrong with that, is that the PA system only works like 50% of the time on the Silvers.

Yes, if they want to eat alone.
Now that we've gotten the low effort no compromise "solution" out of the way perhaps we can explore a more nuanced and amicable resolution.

So? People are used to eating in their own house on the couch in front of the TV.
Call me crazy but I think Amtrak's silhouette of a couple enjoying a romantic dinner aboard the train is actually a great marketing tool. All they need to do to make it a reality is charge a little more for exclusive table service. Maybe they could also include a nicer table setting and/or improved meal options to go along with it. That could do wonders to realizing some of Amtrak's true potential.

Eating in your own room is basically the same thing, but probably more relaxing. Of course, you don't get to meet people, but that would be OK if you are in a bad mood yourself. Don't go to the diner to rant and get others angry. Eat in your room.
So calmly desiring a slightly more romantic experience for you and your special someone is equivalent to ranting about sour grapes? Tough crowd.
I meant that you are better off eating in your room if you're angry then going to the diner. That "romantic dinner" thingy is seperate but similar. They just kinda got meshed together..... :help:

I don't really have a dog in this fight. Most women I know are just not that interested in riding on trains and I'm not the kind guy who feels the need to press the issue. The last time I traveled with a significant other by rail we spent much of our time in the bedroom and enjoyed various meals with all sorts of other folks in the diner. However, that doesn't mean a romantic dinner in the diner would not have been appreciated now and again. When folks travel with routine riders like us it's easy to manage their expectations ahead of time, but when they schedule the first ride on their own or through a smooth talking travel agent it can be a bit of a letdown once they see how things actually operate. Most of what bothers me about the dining protocol isn't suffered on my account. It's the newbies who have to put up with being talked down to and admonished for failing to follow a series of largely unwritten rules that the rest of us already know like the back of our hand.

We had a 6pm reservation, and went to the dining car at 6pm. All the tables were still full so we figured we just had to wait. The LSA very sternly told us that it wasn't 6pm until she announced over the PA system that it was 6pm. The real thing wrong with that, is that the PA system only works like 50% of the time on the Silvers.
She's right; you're wrong. You don't go to the diner until your reservation time is called.

She's right; you're wrong. You don't go to the diner until your reservation time is called.
But how is a first time rider supposed to know that unless someone tells them that? If that is what they want, perhaps the LSA should have mentioned that when going around and taking reservations.

On my most recent trip on the silvers, they didn't even make any announcement or calls. Or if they did, I didn't hear them since the PA wasn't functioning in my sleeper. We just headed to the diner at our reservation times and were sat.

On my most recent trip on the silvers, they didn't even make any announcement or calls. Or if they did, I didn't hear them since the PA wasn't functioning in my sleeper. We just headed to the diner at our reservation times and were sat.
Exactly!

I don't how Bierboy can claim "she's right", for those exact reasons.

We just got off Viarail #2 The Canadian at first we had the worst dining crew I have ever seen - at breakfast they seated us next to a couple that was just about to finish so we had our breakfast next to their dirty dishes. Then they changed the OBS crew for a better one. Food was great though - but that did not justify Viarail's very high prices :angry2:

We just got off Viarail #2 The Canadian at first we had the worst dining crew I have ever seen - at breakfast they seated us next to a couple that was just about to finish so we had our breakfast next to their dirty dishes. Then they changed the OBS crew for a better one. Food was great though - but that did not justify Viarail's very high prices :angry2:
I took #1 about 2 weeks ago and I agree the Western Crew is way worse than the Eastern crew for sure. We had it the opposite, great crew out of Toronto, downhill the rest of the way. (This included my Porter, Via still calls them Porters).

And I agree... The difference in service is not as big as the difference in price. Gotta love those domes though!

@Devil's Advocate: I'm not as familiar with the main dining room, but most cruise ships have a large variety of restaurant choices and the majority of them involve eating with only your party. On our most recent cruise we enjoyed a fine dining restaurant, an Italian restaurant, a buffet, a taco bar, and a buffet/party of local cuisine. All of those experiences we enjoyed sitting as a family with no one else. In my experience, the formal dining room is overrated.

I have experienced a variety of quality in terms of diner service, but I have to say I recently took a trip on the SWC, CS, and CZ and all of the diner experiences were great. The staff were friendly on each train and the person in charge of the diner on each trip made it a point to carefully explain the lunch and dinner procedure. On the CZ the woman had a bit of an abrupt personality, which almost came across as gruff at first, but once you got to know her she was very funny and welcoming. I have had experiences in the past where the staff acted like we, the customers, were a hassle, so I'm happy to have positive experiences and hear that others are having them as well.

I'm actually going to split the difference here, given the unreliability of the speakers. It's entirely reasonable to go at the stated time and at least ask for a timeframe; I've done this a few times, especially if I was worried I would doze off and not hear the announcement, and if I need to wait I go to the lounge car for a bit.

I don't really have a dog in this fight. Most women I know are just not that interested in riding on trains and I'm not the kind guy who feels the need to press the issue. The last time I traveled with a significant other by rail we spent much of our time in the bedroom and enjoyed various meals with all sorts of other folks in the diner. However, that doesn't mean a romantic dinner in the diner would not have been appreciated now and again. When folks travel with routine riders like us it's easy to manage their expectations ahead of time, but when they schedule the first ride on their own or through a smooth talking travel agent it can be a bit of a letdown once they see how things actually operate. Most of what bothers me about the dining protocol isn't suffered on my account. It's the newbies who have to put up with being talked down to and admonished for failing to follow a series of largely unwritten rules that the rest of us already know like the back of our hand.
I totally agree about this. Too many people overestimate the train.

As for how Amtrak "advertises" the dining - I just looked through the dining section on amtrak.com, and I didn't see any mention of community seating. I've never gone on a cruise, but I've looked at several cruise lines' sites, and they're all very clear on their dining arrangements.

I think I might pay extra for a table for two. As it is, we usually try and reserve a later reservation, in hopes that it won't be too crowded & we'll get a seat to ourselves. That has happened a few times, but frequently many of the menu items are gone by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back