Clinic on how to run a diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I ate dinner in the diner tonight on 49. I was on the 4920 car and was sent to the diner by the sca shortly before leaving Albany. I was traveling with one other person. We walked into the diner, and the LSA led us to a table that had a couple seated there. They were on each side of the table sitting by the aisle with stuff placed in the seats by the window. I thought they would slide over, leaving us aisle seats. Instead, they got up offering us window seats opposite of each other. Being rail fans, we happily obliged.

The couple was surprised, and they decided that they would come back at a later seating so they could sit by themselves. The lsa calmly and politely stated that that would be ok. There were no loud lectures about community seating. The lsa did not make us sit next to each other. We made sure to scoot over to signal that we would be glad to share the table.

I saw her name and remembered her from a previous trip. I greeted her but she didn't tember me which is fine. Then she told a waiter to leave us alone and not seat anybody with us.

I sure would never ask for preferential treatment on a crowded LSL diner, but this ended up being a great dinner.

I've often wondered why Amtrak advertises pictures of romantic one-on-one dinners that are virtually impossible to plan for due to the reality of how the diner is actually seated. We can blame other diners for being anti-social if we really want to, but in some ways I think Amtrak creates half of the confusion themselves by intentionally advertising something that is unlikely to occur with any regularity.

I'm not aware of Amtrak advertising romantic dinners for two in the diner. And I never stated these other people were anti-social. Clearly, by their behavior they understood that people could be seated next to them. Blocking seats in the diner is certainly inappropriate.

I'm reiterating that the lsa handled this in a way that was better than most. Initially, I thought she could have left it alone. But the other tables filled up. Had we been seated elsewhere others would have eventually been seated there.

I ate dinner in the diner tonight on 49. I was on the 4920 car and was sent to the diner by the sca shortly before leaving Albany. I was traveling with one other person. We walked into the diner, and the LSA led us to a table that had a couple seated there. They were on each side of the table sitting by the aisle with stuff placed in the seats by the window. I thought they would slide over, leaving us aisle seats. Instead, they got up offering us window seats opposite of each other. Being rail fans, we happily obliged.
The couple was surprised, and they decided that they would come back at a later seating so they could sit by themselves. The lsa calmly and politely stated that that would be ok. There were no loud lectures about community seating. The lsa did not make us sit next to each other. We made sure to scoot over to signal that we would be glad to share the table.

I saw her name and remembered her from a previous trip. I greeted her but she didn't tember me which is fine. Then she told a waiter to leave us alone and not seat anybody with us.

I sure would never ask for preferential treatment on a crowded LSL diner, but this ended up being a great dinner.
:cool: Sounds like this LSA would make a Good trainer for Food Service Crews! Ill be on the LSL in Feb., Hope I get her for my Diner meals! Was it a heritage diner or 8400??

Yes. That is the Boston sleeper. There is a post from jim Hudson asking if this diner was the 8400. Your first post was after Jim's. after you posted I responded to Jim's question. You were expecting me to respond to your post so you got confused when you read my answer.

Whereas I know you understand the communal dining concept, I am a bit concerned about the staff being too generous during busy times on the train. However, if the diner were a bit slower like I experienced on the Meteor last month, this is EXACTLY what I would expect from the crew.

There is a fine line between excellent customer service and doing your job right. I don't think that in this scenario someone didn't get to eat dinner, so the action was fine.

"Then she told a waiter to leave us alone and not seat anybody with us."

The LSA was doing everything right until this.

I was surprised by the last part too. I suspect she was somewhat caught off guard when they got up to leave. We were rather happy to get the window seats. It was awkward because normally people traveling together are seated side by side. So when they both got up to give us window seats I was hesitated, not being sur what the lsa wanted. She said nothing so we sat.

We would have been glad to eat with others. I think she knew the next couple would want to sit side by side, and she did not want to disturb us. Also, with the first couple leaving and staying with us was also awkward. That first couple through down the gauntlet by sitting on the aisle and blocking seats.

The couple was surprised, and they decided that they would come back at a later seating so they could sit by themselves. The lsa calmly and politely stated that that would be ok. There were no loud lectures about community seating.
From my experience, the LSA would have, politely, mentioned that their assigned dinner seating time (in other words, their "reservation") was for then. Also, if the couple insisted that they would come back later, I would think the LSA would have mentioned that there would be no guarantees that they would have a table to themselves, or even have a table at all (the diner could be fully booked all the way until closing time).

Normally that's what would happen. This occurred after Albany and maybe most of the passengers on nyp section had already eaten, giving the lsa more leeway.

My point is that the lsa kept her wits and handled this reasonably well. She had a plan for filling the diner and serving the Boston passengers dinner. This couple wanted to come back later, and she allowed them to. If the later seating was full, she would have advised them of this IMHO. The dinner service was smooth and efficient. The steaks were perfect. Thus I think she knew what she was doing. It's easy to Monday morning quarterback after the fact. Lets see you run that diner as well as this lsa. I know I couldn't. And I bet you can't.

I'm not aware of Amtrak advertising romantic dinners for two in the diner.
Although it may no longer be active there has been a long running advertisement featuring a silhouette of a man and woman having what appears to be a romantic one-on-one meal on various Amtrak brochures and schedules in the past. It's true that Amtrak does not explicitly state that this is what's happening I'm not sure how else it could be reasonably interpreted by new customers who are unfamiliar with the actual dining process.

And I never stated these other people were anti-social. Clearly, by their behavior they understood that people could be seated next to them. Blocking seats in the diner is certainly inappropriate.
I agree you never said they were being anti-social. However, in other dining related threads on the forum that's been a common theme. It's clear to me that many folks expect (or at least anticipate) warm receptions and easy conversation from strangers at their table when dining on the train, which is fine with me in most cases. However, it does seem odd that the LSA's sometimes seem to go out of their way to smash folks together even when other tables are obviously free. It would be nice to have a one-on-one meal once in a while with a significant other or a close friend or family member from time to time. And sometimes you get this by chance or accident, but it would be nice to have a more formal way to make such a request and have some sort of expectation that it will be honored when possible. As is I don't think there is any way to do this without risking the ire of the dining crew. Maybe Amtrak could charge a $5 or $10 "separate dining fee" or the like? Seems like a great way to address multiple issues without causing too much trouble. People who want to be seated alone get what they want. People who want to be seated with friendly strangers end up together. Amtrak gets a little more money out of it. Everybody wins. Obviously this would be subject to limitations inherent in the dining process such that extremely busy seating periods may not accommodate such requests. Perhaps in those cases the LSA could offer more private seating later in the dining process.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's clear to me that many folks expect (or at least anticipate) warm receptions and easy conversation from strangers at their table when dining on the train, which is fine with me in most cases.
I know that every time I mention this, I get attacked, but IMHO, it is like being a cruise ship. On a cruise ship, there are a limited number of tables in the main, formal, dining room. Therefore, the ship attempts to fill up each table, with passengers from different cabins. And just like on a cruise ship, sometimes everyone hits it off (lively dinner conversions), and sometimes you don't (everyone keeps quiet)..

However, it does seem odd that the LSA's sometimes seem to go out of their way to smash folks together even when other tables are obviously free.
IMHO, the LSA is always anticipating more passengers will be showing up, and eventually, all the tables will be full. Plus, the LSA wants to seat everyone at the table, at the same time, so that they are eat/order at the same time. If they just put two people at each table, and later come back to backfill the table, you'll have some people eating their main course while others haven't even gotten their salads yet.

I know that every time I mention this, I get attacked, but IMHO, it is like being a cruise ship. On a cruise ship, there are a limited number of tables in the main, formal, dining room. Therefore, the ship attempts to fill up each table, with passengers from different cabins. And just like on a cruise ship, sometimes everyone hits it off (lively dinner conversions), and sometimes you don't (everyone keeps quiet)..
Can you pay more to get a private dining experience on a cruise?
However, it does seem odd that the LSA's sometimes seem to go out of their way to smash folks together even when other tables are obviously free.
IMHO, the LSA is always anticipating more passengers will be showing up, and eventually, all the tables will be full. Plus, the LSA wants to seat everyone at the table, at the same time, so that they are eat/order at the same time. If they just put two people at each table, and later come back to backfill the table, you'll have some people eating their main course while others haven't even gotten their salads yet.

Something tells me that people who would prefer to be alone regardless would be willing to take that chance.

I've never had to sit with strangers in the diner (probably because every time I ate in the diner, I was traveling with two other people), but I have shown up in the diner before my reservation time and when I had no reservation at all, and both times the staff had no problems with that. Of course, this was probably because one time was at lunch, and the other was an early dinner, and neither time was the diner crowded.

If a couple wishes to eat alone perhaps they should eat in their sleeper.
We're talking about people who could easily be paying $1,000-$2,000 each way for a single bedroom on a long trip. So they eat in their cramped room three times a day for three days each way?
This is really most pronounced at dinner time, not during Breakfast or Lunch (though it can happen).

I have been sat with someone who ordered their food about the time the other two of us were done eating. Sometimes, I don't think many LSAs use COMMON sense (like Gloria the Grumpy on the Meteor) in seating their customers. Plenty of tables and seats and turning away customers 30 minutes after the last call for reservations...

If a couple wishes to eat alone perhaps they should eat in their sleeper.
We're talking about people who could easily be paying $1,000-$2,000 each way for a single bedroom on a long trip. So they eat in their cramped room three times a day for three days each way?
So? People are used to eating in their own house on the couch in front of the TV. Eating in your own room is basically the same thing, but probably more relaxing. Of course, you don't get to meet people, but that would be OK if you are in a bad mood yourself. Don't go to the diner to rant and get others angry. Eat in your room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back