Clevelanders enjoy boarding an Amtrak train in daylight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superliner Diner

Conductor
From Cleveland, OH Plain Dealer, 8/19/07:

Margie O'Connor of Concord had not been on an Amtrak train in 18 years, the whole time she had lived in Ohio. But one day this summer, she stood on the downtown platform, kissed her husband, Bill, goodbye and boarded the Lake Shore Limited for New York City.
Note that this story is 5 pages long, so please navigate between the pages. The entire article is here.

The first page of the article was nice enough, but the Cleveland Plain Dealer could better serve us by not requiring information before proceeding. That's what I got: a demand for information.

I'm reminded that Cleveland - "The Mistake By The Lake" - has the world's only nonsmoking river, the Cuyahoga. That's because if you toss in a butt, the river ignites. Randy Newman even wrote a song about the phenomenon. "Burn on, big river, burn on..."

At least the city gave us the Browns (2nd edition), the Indians (who doesn't love Chief Knockahoma?), and Dennis Kucinich.

Apologies in advance to any potentially irate Clevelanders (Clevelandonians?). When Cleveland is mentioned to a Californian the bad jokes just write themselves. It's not that we hate Cleveland; that would be too strong. We just don't like it much

And we don't really care what time the train stops there, as long as we don't have to get off.

Last year I was riding the Lakeshore Limited with my girlfriend when the train stopped. "Where are we?" she asked. "Cleveland." "OH GOD!" "Don't worry, we'll be moving again soon."

Cleveland--Home of the best symphony orchestra in the country; one of the most highly rated medical centers in the world, the Cleveland Clinic.; many top-notch institutions of higher learning including Case-Western Reserve Univeristy. Surrounding Cleveland is one of the most extensive municipal park systems in the country, referred to as "The Emerald Necklace".

Cleveland--You've got to be a tough sports fan as we remember: the drive, the fumble, the shot, and the 1997 world series, but stilll have deep support for our teams. What's the name of the LA NFL franchise?

Cleveland--The ONLY city in the country with a light rail system from its airport to the downtown district.

What the hell? Next time, get off the train in Cleveland....

Cleveland--The ONLY city in the country with a light rail system from its airport to the downtown district.
Technically most people consider that to be heavy rail, not light rail. And the cars on the line serving the airport are vastly different than the "light rail" cars used on Cleveland's other two lines.

As for the claim of the only city in the country with a rail system, that's far from true. Both of Chicago's airports are served by similar trains to Cleveland's and they run downtown. BART serves San Francisco and it's airport direct to downtown. Washington DC's Metro serves Reagan National. And Baltimore's BWI airport is directly served by it's light rail system that runs downtown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cleveland--Home of the best symphony orchestra in the country; one of the most highly rated medical centers in the world, the Cleveland Clinic.; many top-notch institutions of higher learning including Case-Western Reserve Univeristy. Surrounding Cleveland is one of the most extensive municipal park systems in the country, referred to as "The Emerald Necklace".
Cleveland--You've got to be a tough sports fan as we remember: the drive, the fumble, the shot, and the 1997 world series, but stilll have deep support for our teams. What's the name of the LA NFL franchise?

What the hell? Next time, get off the train in Cleveland....
In L.A. we have more important things to do with taxpayer money than cough up public cabbage for a bloodsucking NFL owner. Too bad more doesn't go for rail trainsit.

And I believe AlanB is correct about the overall transit situation. Even if he was wrong, I still don't wanna get off the train in Cleveland. HAHA!!

Why so much hate for Cleveland? I can think of cities much worse.

It's a good thing Amtrak prevents passengars from accidentally getting off at Phoenix by not stopping there. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Minneapolis' Hiawatha Light Rail Line connects MSP airport to downtown.

To add to the list, Atlanta's MARTA heavy rail goes directly between the airport and downtown. Metro St. Louis runs LRT right into their airport.

Philadelphia's SEPTA and Indiana's NICTD (South Shore Line) run commuter trains directly into their airports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back