"City of New Orleans 1999" Derailment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
There will be a special on A&E regarding the derailment of Amtrak's City of New Orleans that took place in Illinois in March of 1999. The program will air at 9:00 pm on this Wednsday night if anyone is interested. :)

Amfleet said:
There will be a special on A&E regarding the derailment of Amtrak's City of New Orleans that took place in Illinois in March of 1999. The program will air at 9:00 pm on this Wednsday night if anyone is interested. :)
Thanks for the heads up Amfleet, I'll try to watch it. :)

The Lyons' and Falls' stories and those of other passengers and victims are told in vivid, chilling detail in A&E's Minute by Minute: The Crash of Amtrak's City of New Orleans. The program airs at 9 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 25. (Cox Communications cable channel 38)
This article states that the program will be aired at 9 pm.

Amfleet said:
Stupid me. ;) Only now do I realize this article is from a Louisiana webpage which means that 9 pm CT. :ph34r:
You just flunked the first conductor's test. What time zone am I in? :lol:

Amfleet said:
Just saw it. I don't want to ruin it for our Western viewers so I have my opinions tommorow. :)
What ever happened to the truck driver that was responsible for this horrible accident?

If he's not doing life without parole, there is something terribly wrong with our criminal justice system.

It was a very sad and moving piece, and it seemed even more tragic to me than when the derailment happened. If anyone missed or wants to see it again check your listings, because I know they're showing it more than once. :unsure:

Do you think when the Truck Driver dies he'll wind up on a plane. (If anyone gets my analogy). I know he's facing felony charges, but still has his license. :angry:

At least is wasn't like on of MSNBC's peices on it's all Amtrak's fault no matter what the case is. It was nice to see the passengers coming and working together to get anyone out of that wreck. That truck driver needs his license revaoked and throne in jail. He was working 10 hours overtime and tried to beat the train. Bad thing to do. Just to add. In the beginning it seems A&E through all these Amtrak video clips together. They had one with Amtrak equipment in Phase II and last time I checked AEM-7s did not run in or out of Chicago. Otherwise an 8/10 peice on my chart. B)

Amfleet said:
At least is wasn't like on of MSNBC's peices on it's all Amtrak's fault no matter what the case is. It was nice to see the passengers coming and working together to get anyone out of that wreck. That truck driver needs his license revaoked and throne in jail. He was working 10 hours overtime and tried to beat the train. Bad thing to do. Just to add. In the beginning it seems A&E through all these Amtrak video clips together. They had one with Amtrak equipment in Phase II and last time I checked AEM-7s did not run in or out of Chicago. Otherwise an 8/10 peice on my chart. B)
Yes some footage just Amtrak in general, also the simulation used single level cars, but still provided a clear understanding. Does anyone get my analogy?

Don't forget to throw away the key. :lol:

In an earlier topic buried somewhere in the board someone brought up the differences between the construction standards for US and Eurpoean passenger cars. Namely that US cars are built like tanks and Euro cars are not as strong. Taking that into consideration imagine the carnage had these been European cars, the number could easily be reversed with 11 survivors.

What was the truck driver's name again? I forgot to write it down to check his case status. It surprised me that his license was never revoked.

Viewliner said:
This truck driver didn't even bother to drive around the crossing gates, he drove through them according to this video.

Other than the 9/11 videos, this was one of the most tragic documentaries that I have ever seen.

If this truck driver has not been convicted of felony vehicular manslaughter, something is terribly amiss. :angry:

Allen Dee said:
Viewliner said:
This truck driver didn't even bother to drive around the crossing gates, he drove through them according to this video.

Other than the 9/11 videos, this was one of the most tragic documentaries that I have ever seen.

If this truck driver has not been convicted of felony vehicular manslaughter, something is terribly amiss. :angry:
I agree, the driver should get convicted of commiting felony vehicular manslaughter. In fact I don't know if there is even a punishment severe enough for what happened. I agree with you about this being a tragic piece, one example of an even more tragic documetary was "9/11", which they showed on CBS. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back