Choice between Transitional Sleeper or Standard sleeper car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wet. :lol:
And soapy!

When I did the CL from Chicago to Washington in April I was in the transdorm coach, it was fine, not that different from the other sleepers, no real noise from the crew, but those bloomin horns just kept me awake all night. No so bad from 3 or 4 coaches back, but it was just awful....... Take earplugs! Or chop your ears off before your trip. :blink:

I was wondering in the shower this morning,
The trans-dorm sleeper has its shower on the upper level. This suggests they rock more, but shake less. How is it showering in one?
I used the showers downstairs. The attendant told me I could use any of them on the car. I believe there was one upstairs and 2 or 3 downstairs.

I checked last night and my July 21 Sunset Limited is now completely sold out - all classes. Guess I'm in for an experience. I leave today on the EB. Thanks to all for your helpful comments about trans/dorms - the good and the bad. I'll report my own experience on my return. George

Back to another point made earlier, and I'm tying a lot of topics in one on this. It was mentioned that an SA typically gets one roomette in the sleeper to which they are assigned. But the few times I've ridden, they seem to have taken over two or three roomettes for storage, office paper work, etc. Perhaps the roomette was badordered or it wasn't sold.

At any rate, when looking for an onboard upgrade, I wonder if the conductor could or would sell a good roomette that was being used to store orange juice coolers.

Also, does a transitional sleeper get its own attendant, or does one from another sleeper take extra duty?

I used the showers downstairs. The attendant told me I could use any of them on the car. I believe there was one upstairs and 2 or 3 downstairs.
I guess showering downstairs with the crew, will surely allow you to get to know them better. ;)

Also, does a transitional sleeper get its own attendant, or does one from another sleeper take extra duty?
Usually one of the coach attendants is assigned to also work the Trans/Dorm.
I seem to recall some discussion here that when a coach attendant is scheduled to work the Trans/Dorm, the Trans/Dorm is placed at the end of the train (next to a coach car), or, alternatively, the Trans/Dorm remains the first car after the baggage car but is followed by the coaches. This allows the Trans/Dorm to be next to a coach car so they can share an attendant.

Is this always the case, or must the coach attendant run back and forth through all the other cars when the car is not placed like I just described?

I seem to recall some discussion here that when a coach attendant is scheduled to work the Trans/Dorm, the Trans/Dorm is placed at the end of the train (next to a coach car), or, alternatively, the Trans/Dorm remains the first car after the baggage car but is followed by the coaches. This allows the Trans/Dorm to be next to a coach car so they can share an attendant.

Is this always the case, or must the coach attendant run back and forth through all the other cars when the car is not placed like I just described?
I'm only aware of that swap happening on the CZ and it sounds like it's not happening this year now.

On the SWC in June, the sleeper attendant in the next car was also taking care of the transition dorm passengers as well.

When I was on the CZ last year, the transitional sleeper was in its normal place, just behind the baggage car and in front of the coach cars. There was no other transitional sleeper. The first coach car's attendant also took care of the trans sleeper. He did a great job.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was on the CZ last year, the transitional sleeper was in its normal place, just behind the baggage car and in front of the coach cars. There was no other transitional sleeper. The first coach car's attendant also took care of the trans sleeper. He did a great job.
I'm sure that he's happy with those tips from sleepers. ;)

I gave him a decent tip, that he well deserved.

Based on all the comments on this thread, I am going to stick with my current reservation in the standard sleeper roomettes (#4 for the CZ westbound, #5 for the CS northbound, and #3 for the EB eastbound).

I just hope they load the cars facing the correct way (even numbers on the right, odd on the left).

Thanks!!

I gave him a decent tip, that he well deserved.

Based on all the comments on this thread, I am going to stick with my current reservation in the standard sleeper roomettes (#4 for the CZ westbound, #5 for the CS northbound, and #3 for the EB eastbound).

I just hope they load the cars facing the correct way (even numbers on the right, odd on the left).

Thanks!!

Good choice, the transition sleepers have not undergone the full refurbishing like the cherry wood panels and all that good stuff that some superliner 1 sleeping cars have undergone. Also you get more engine noise in the transition.

Your choice though, hope you make a good decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back