Choice between Transitional Sleeper or Standard sleeper car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AAARGH!

Conductor
I will be taking several long trips in the fall (CZ westbound, Coast Starlight southbound (EMY to LAX) AND Northbound LAX to SEA), and the Empire Builder eastbound back to CHI (yes I am nuts). I will be staying in Roomettes for 3 of the 4 legs.

Last year I took the CZ and stayed in a Transitional Sleeper roomette. I am booked in the standard sleeper roomettes for this trip (#s 3, 4, and 5 for the three legs).

My questions is which is better, a transitional sleeper roomette or a standard sleeper roomette? I know there is almost no difference between the rooms themsleves and that the transitional car has more horn noise. I am looking for opinions.

I know there are three or four showers in the transitional sleeper and I never had to wait for one. Is the one shower in the standard car enough for 14 roomettes?

Thanks.

You can probably just go next door to the shower in another car if the one in yours is taken. I don't think there is any rule against that, as long as you are indeed a sleeper passenger. :)

I am booked in the trans/Crew car (roomette) on the Sunset Limited and waitlisted for a regular roomette.

The Amtrak phone person told me there would be two trans/crew cars on my train (July 21) and that mine would be fairly far back. I'm wondering if that might alleviate some of the whistle noise. What about other aspects? For instance, does the presence of crew mean much more corridor traffic in the middle of the night? Are there actually advantages to being in the trans/crew car?

Bottom line - Should I bother trying for the regular roomette? Opinions based on experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can probably just go next door to the shower in another car if the one in yours is taken. I don't think there is any rule against that, as long as you are indeed a sleeper passenger. :)
From my experience, attendants tend to be VERY PROTECTIVE (territorial?) of their cars, and don't like "outsiders", even sleeping car passengers from adjacent cars, to be making use of anything in their cars.

However, I have never found the one shower in my car, in use. And I use it every morning.

From my experience, attendants tend to be VERY PROTECTIVE (territorial?) of their cars, and don't like "outsiders", even sleeping car passengers from adjacent cars, to be making use of anything in their cars.

However, I have never found the one shower in my car, in use. And I use it every morning.
Thanks, but for me, the issue will be the opposite. I am booked in the attendants' car, which is what Amtrak does when the other cars are full.

I am booked in the trans/Crew car (roomette) on the Sunset Limited and waitlisted for a regular roomette.
The Amtrak phone person told me there would be two trans/crew cars on my train (July 21) and that mine would be fairly far back. I'm wondering if that might alleviate some of the whistle noise. What about other aspects? For instance, does the presence of crew mean much more corridor traffic in the middle of the night? Are there actually advantages to being in the trans/crew car?

Bottom line - Should I bother trying for the regular roomette? Opinions based on experience would be appreciated. Thanks.
I can't imagine why or how they could put two trans/dorms on the train. Well actually I can see how, but it would be very intersting as one would need to be at the head end and one at the rear end. It would certainly make no sense to put two dorm cars on the same train though.

That said, you might hear more radio traffic in the car since the conductor's office is there, and perhaps a bit more foot traffic, but probably not. Mind you the crew has to walk by every sleeping compartment in every sleeping car to reach the diner, lounge, and coach cars so I don't think it matters which sleeping car you're in.

Thanks, but for me, the issue will be the opposite. I am booked in the attendants' car, which is what Amtrak does when the other cars are full.
Actually the sleeping car attendant's each have their own room in the sleeping car that they are assigned to. Generally, although not always, they sleep in their car. The Trans/Dorm holds the bedrooms for the cook, SA's (waiters), LSA's (dining car manager and cafe attendant), and the coach attendants. Also as I mentioned above, it holds an office for the conductors.

I can't imagine why or how they could put two trans/dorms on the train. Well actually I can see how, but it would be very intersting as one would need to be at the head end and one at the rear end. It would certainly make no sense to put two dorm cars on the same train though.

That said, you might hear more radio traffic in the car since the conductor's office is there, and perhaps a bit more foot traffic, but probably not. Mind you the crew has to walk by every sleeping compartment in every sleeping car to reach the diner, lounge, and coach cars so I don't think it matters which sleeping car you're in.

There's another way they could put two trans/dorms on the train: put them back-to-back with the two low-level ends facing each other.

It would be equally as interesting as having them book-end the train, since to travel to the rear-most one you'd need to go to the lower level, cross through to the next car, and then go back up to the upper level, but it would be possible for some extra capacity in a pinch...

My guess would be, though, that they'll do as you suggest and put one in the front and one in the back. The one in the front will be strictly for the crew while the one in the back will be sold as revenue space and unused by the crew (and the rearmost coach attendant will take care of the sleeper attendant's duties, like on other trains with trans/dorms on the rear).

Thanks, AlanB and Jackal. I'll keep you posted on what the actual config was after I complete the trip. In the meantime, I'll hope Jackal's guess is correct and that I'm on one that is dedicated to revenue space. Hint, when I called to be put on the waitlist, the Amtrak agent said that five roomettes on that car were still available.

There's another way they could put two trans/dorms on the train: put them back-to-back with the two low-level ends facing each other.
That would work, but it does cause two major issues. One of course that's a lot of climbing for both the crew and the passengers. Second, that type of configuration would tend to put a fair amount of diesel exhaust into the first car. Even if they put the Trans/Dorm on the bottom of the train, you'd still take exhaust in whatever car is the first bi-level car behind the engines. Having a Trans/Dorm that connects to the baggage car eliminates this issue.

This used to be a big problem for the Cardinal back when it ran with Superliners, as it most often ran without a Trans/Dorm. So the single sleeping car would take a fair amount of smoke.

This is directed at Jackal too, but have either of you seen this season's schedule?

It contains a train, ostensibly, and likely, the Coast Starlight, on the cover. That train's consist is as follows: two P42s, 2 Trans-dorms, 3 Sleepers, 1 Pacific Parlour, and whatever else drifts off the frame into oblivion. The Transdorms are arranged such that it is probably impossible to travel between the first and second while the train is moving!

This is directed at Jackal too, but have either of you seen this season's schedule?

It contains a train, ostensibly, and likely, the Coast Starlight, on the cover. That train's consist is as follows: two P42s, 2 Trans-dorms, 3 Sleepers, 1 Pacific Parlour, and whatever else drifts off the frame into oblivion. The Transdorms are arranged such that it is probably impossible to travel between the first and second while the train is moving!
I have seen the timetable cover. It is indeed the Coast Starlight, and the picture was taken about 20 miles from the town where I grew up. Chuljin, I, and Richard Elgeson (of TrainWeb fame) covered that very trackage in May (and chuljin took a pretty decent photo of that trestle over Stenner Creek from the uphill side).

However, I must confess that I was not looking at the consist that closely (other than to note the presence of the PPC). I have the timetable book on the top of a pile in the other room and will have to go look at it shortly...

Personally, I would feel very, very uncomfortable using a roomette in the transitional dorm. In fact, when reserving my accomodation I always note the roomette number and specifically ask the agent whether or not the space is in a "standard" sleeper.

If no space was available in a standard sleeper, I would simply change my travel dates. Although I am certain some Amtrak staff are not bothered at all by this encroachment , I am also certain there are others who absolutely fume about it. In any case, I simply choose not to accept this option.

I do realize that one roomette in the Sleeping Car is assigned to that car's attendant. BUT, what if other roomettes/bedrooms in the car were assigned to "working" service-crew members ? Would this make the other passengers feel a little unconfortable ---knowing they were there and perhaps listening to private conversation , albeit innocently ? I know I would be a little disconcerted by a situation like this.

So, again , personally I do not like the idea of using the transition dorm for revenue. But, to each his own , and I respect that.

That would work, but it does cause two major issues. One of course that's a lot of climbing for both the crew and the passengers. Second, that type of configuration would tend to put a fair amount of diesel exhaust into the first car. Even if they put the Trans/Dorm on the bottom of the train, you'd still take exhaust in whatever car is the first bi-level car behind the engines. Having a Trans/Dorm that connects to the baggage car eliminates this issue.

This used to be a big problem for the Cardinal back when it ran with Superliners, as it most often ran without a Trans/Dorm. So the single sleeping car would take a fair amount of smoke.
I didn't notice a smoke problem on the Portland section of the EB, riding in the lounge car through the gorge. I was standing in the front doorway looking forward out over the top of the engines. Just lucky, I guess?

Personally, I would feel very, very uncomfortable using a roomette in the transitional dorm. In fact, when reserving my accomodation I always note the roomette number and specifically ask the agent whether or not the space is in a "standard" sleeper.
If no space was available in a standard sleeper, I would simply change my travel dates. Although I am certain some Amtrak staff are not bothered at all by this encroachment , I am also certain there are others who absolutely fume about it. In any case, I simply choose not to accept this option.

I do realize that one roomette in the Sleeping Car is assigned to that car's attendant. BUT, what if other roomettes/bedrooms in the car were assigned to "working" service-crew members ? Would this make the other passengers feel a little unconfortable ---knowing they were there and perhaps listening to private conversation , albeit innocently ? I know I would be a little disconcerted by a situation like this.

So, again , personally I do not like the idea of using the transition dorm for revenue. But, to each his own , and I respect that.
I took the CZ last July in the Transitional Sleeper. The crew portion of the car was in the front and there is no way they could hear our conversations given the track noise. At night the doors are shut, so no issue there. Besides, during the day, almost none of the crew is actually there. They are working.

The mid-car stairwell makes a decent break for both sound and privacy. There is a curtain between there and the crew area.

The only time I ever felt like I was 'in their area' is when I traveled downstairs for the lavatory or shower. I had to walk past the open doorway to their office. They would look at me as I passed. No big deal as I had every right to be there and I seriously doubt they had a problem. If I had walked into their office or asked them a question from the doorway, then I would be intruding.

I enjoyed the roomette in the Tranitional sleeper car. This thread was for me to find if others like this or the 'traditional' cars better.

The Amtrak phone person told me there would be two trans/crew cars on my train (July 21) and that mine would be fairly far back.
That is odd. How would a reservation agent know that unless something very special was going on? Perhaps some private cars on the back end?

Last edited by a moderator:
Printman2000, from what I could tell just listening on my end of the phone, she looked up the consist on the computer. In addition, when I called last night to check my waitlist, a second agent also looked up the consist. I made a partial note of her comment: "Three coach, baggage, coach, passenger/dorm, cars 130 and 131." I couldn't write fast enough but she also mentioned dining car and observation car. I don't know if she was reciting the consist in order of the cars. I am on car 131, and I know that's a "passenger/dorm." I assumed car 130 also is. This might indicate these cars are there for revenue purposes only, unless this trip is carrying a big tour and needs more crew??? (Any ideas?)

Thanks....George

Printman2000, from what I could tell just listening on my end of the phone, she looked up the consist on the computer. In addition, when I called last night to check my waitlist, a second agent also looked up the consist. I made a partial note of her comment: "Three coach, baggage, coach, passenger/dorm, cars 130 and 131." I couldn't write fast enough but she also mentioned dining car and observation car. I don't know if she was reciting the consist in order of the cars. I am on car 131, and I know that's a "passenger/dorm." I assumed car 130 also is. This might indicate these cars are there for revenue purposes only, unless this trip is carrying a big tour and needs more crew??? (Any ideas?)Thanks....George
Since they planned to have 2 TS, it must either be a special service (like PV's on the rear that will have access to the train) or perhaps a needed equipment move.

First, the Trans/Dorm was specifically designed for sharing the car between crew and passengers. This was not something that Amtrak just threw together at a whim and suddenly decided to start doing to increase revenue. In fact for many years Amtrak was actually throwing away revenue by not using these cars as intended and built. David Gunn saw the folly of this and made the needed changes to start selling those revenue rooms.

Next, there is nothing in an employee's contract that guarantees them an exclusive car. They are only guaranteed a room to sleep in, as opposed to the freight RR's way of doing things where they often slept in the dining car.

Finally on many of the Eastern trains in fact, the crew shares a regular sleeper with the passengers. I know that the crew was in my Viewliner last week on the LSL and I didn't hear them or have any problems with them.

Printman2000, from what I could tell just listening on my end of the phone, she looked up the consist on the computer. In addition, when I called last night to check my waitlist, a second agent also looked up the consist. I made a partial note of her comment: "Three coach, baggage, coach, passenger/dorm, cars 130 and 131." I couldn't write fast enough but she also mentioned dining car and observation car. I don't know if she was reciting the consist in order of the cars. I am on car 131, and I know that's a "passenger/dorm." I assumed car 130 also is. This might indicate these cars are there for revenue purposes only, unless this trip is carrying a big tour and needs more crew??? (Any ideas?)Thanks....George
George,

I'm not sure that you are in the Trans/Dorm, do you have your room number? If it's between 1 and 14, then you are not in a Trans/Dorm.

Unless the Sunset runs contrary to normal Amtrak practices, the 30 series should only be regular sleepers, not Trans/Dorms. I know for sure that 130 is a regular sleeper and in all other cases to my knowledge, that would make 131 a regular sleeper too. The Trans/Dorm car should be in a different number series, like perhaps for example 4X and most likely it would be 140. Slight chance it's 141. All the coaches IIRC would be in the 10 series.

George,

I'm not sure that you are in the Trans/Dorm, do you have your room number? If it's between 1 and 14, then you are not in a Trans/Dorm.

Unless the Sunset runs contrary to normal Amtrak practices, the 30 series should only be regular sleepers, not Trans/Dorms. I know for sure that 130 is a regular sleeper and in all other cases to my knowledge, that would make 131 a regular sleeper too. The Trans/Dorm car should be in a different number series, like perhaps for example 4X and most likely it would be 140. Slight chance it's 141. All the coaches IIRC would be in the 10 series.
Thanks, AlanB. Here is my exact reservation, as confirmed in an Amtrak email: "Train #1, Depart NOL Monday July 21, 11:55am. Superliner Roomette 21 in Car 0131." During the two phone conversations I have had with an agent, both confirmed that I am on a Trans/Dorm, or some phrase like that. That's why they waitlisted me.

All said, I am somewhat comforted by people's comments that such cars aren't all that bad. I'll probably just let things be and see how they turn out. My SEA-CHI-NOL-LAX-SEA trip, departing tomorrow, will be the first sleeper accomodation I have taken on Amtrak. As mentioned earlier, I'll report on conclusion of the voyage.

Many thanks......George

Thanks, AlanB. Here is my exact reservation, as confirmed in an Amtrak email: "Train #1, Depart NOL Monday July 21, 11:55am. Superliner Roomette 21 in Car 0131." During the two phone conversations I have had with an agent, both confirmed that I am on a Trans/Dorm, or some phrase like that. That's why they waitlisted me.
All said, I am somewhat comforted by people's comments that such cars aren't all that bad. I'll probably just let things be and see how they turn out. My SEA-CHI-NOL-LAX-SEA trip, departing tomorrow, will be the first sleeper accomodation I have taken on Amtrak. As mentioned earlier, I'll report on conclusion of the voyage.

Many thanks......George
Hmm, very interesting George. Room #21 would certainly be a Trans/Dorm room. So it would appear that on the Sunset Amtrak has once again broken the normal rule that would see the Trans/Dorm being numbered in a different series from the standard sleeper.

Not exactly surprising, since they often aren't consistant, but still interesting.

Many thanks......George
Hmm, very interesting George. Room #21 would certainly be a Trans/Dorm room. So it would appear that on the Sunset Amtrak has once again broken the normal rule that would see the Trans/Dorm being numbered in a different series from the standard sleeper.

Not exactly surprising, since they often aren't consistant, but still interesting.

We'll just have to wait and see. Maybe the train will be cancelled and I'll be forced to eat two more days worth of New Orlans cuisine! :p

I was wondering in the shower this morning,

The trans-dorm sleeper has its shower on the upper level. This suggests they rock more, but shake less. How is it showering in one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back