Chicago - Willis (Sears) Tower

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
My daughter and I will be arriving in CHI via the CL on 11/20 (Sunday). We will be catching the CZ that afternoon. We're planning to go to the SkyDeck in the Willis Tower.

I know it's a short walk across the river (yes, I can walk on water :giggle: ). Should I aim to get there when it first opens (to avoid a long line)? I know they have express passes, but would rather not spend the extra $$ if I can help it. I had originally planned to try to go to Mass at one of the two churches nearby first, but don't want to risk missing the train. I know a lot will depend on what time the CL gets into Union Station and how long it will take to take our luggage to the Metro Lounge, etc.

img-skybox.jpg

My daughter and I will be arriving in CHI via the CL on 11/20 (Sunday). We will be catching the CZ that afternoon. We're planning to go to the SkyDeck in the Willis Tower.
Visit the Hancock Tower instead - - it is cheaper and nearly just as high - with no lines. It is a bit of a walk from Union Station (I have done it....takes about 15-20 minutes depending on congestion), but the water taxis also take you right to Michigan Ave.

If Mass and time is an issue.....I would do Willis Tower immediately after getting off the CL.....the lines are somewhat unpredictable during the day.....but, hit the Tower----then the Panera Bread right across the street.

John

Visit the Hancock Tower instead - - it is cheaper and nearly just as high - with no lines. It is a bit of a walk from Union Station (I have done it....takes about 15-20 minutes depending on congestion), but the water taxis also take you right to Michigan Ave.

If Mass and time is an issue.....I would do Willis Tower immediately after getting off the CL.....the lines are somewhat unpredictable during the day.....but, hit the Tower----then the Panera Bread right across the street.

John
Thanks for the suggestions. I pretty much have already decided that the Tower comes before Mass (I'm sure He will forgive me on this). If we get there when it opens (it opens at 9:30 on Sun this time of the year) and get through it quickly we may still have time to do Mass.

Hope you get to go. I had made similar plans when I arrived on the Cap in July, but we were four hours late and I only had twenty minutes before the EB was scheduled to leave, so I didn't get to go. I get to try again in March when I connect from the Card to the SWC. Fingers crossed.

When I visited the line for the Sears(!) tower was crazy long but we had a city pass that included fast pass privileges so we blew right by it. We still ended up spending a lot of time up there just looking around and walking out into on the glass boxes. The view is more interesting than the Hancock tower in my opinion. Hancock tower was a lot more empty though so if you're willing to trek all the way over there you probably won't be waiting long. My only advice if go there is to AVOID THE SIGNATURE ROOM.

There's no way a reasonable person can walk from Union Station to the Hancock building in 20 minutes.

I make a similar walk regularly (my destination is a couple blocks away from the Hancock building), and the best I can do it is 40 minutes, and I walk fast.

There's no way a reasonable person can walk from Union Station to the Hancock building in 20 minutes.

I make a similar walk regularly (my destination is a couple blocks away from the Hancock building), and the best I can do it is 40 minutes, and I walk fast.
Evidently I walk faster than you......lol.

OK....so 20-25 minutes.....I know that I made it in good time, and there wasn't alot of people on the sidewalks...and I jay-walked at every red light.......whatever.

Bottom line is that the Hancock Tower is a much better deal than the lines/cost at Willis.

John

I checked the costs online and the Hancock Tower was only a couple of dollars less than the Willis Tower. So cost would not be a deciding factor. Shorter lines might be. However, I'm set on going to the Willis Tower on this trip...if the CL is not running too late.

I may decide to splurge on the express tickets...we'll see.

Evidently I walk faster than you......lol.

OK....so 20-25 minutes.....I know that I made it in good time, and there wasn't alot of people on the sidewalks...and I jay-walked at every red light.......whatever.

Bottom line is that the Hancock Tower is a much better deal than the lines/cost at Willis.

John
It's a two-mile walk. To get there in 20 minutes requires a brisk jog or really, really long legs.

I've done the Willis Tower between the LSL and the CZ. I don't remember what the lines were but I remember I had plenty of time to make the connection. I think we also had lunch somewhere around there and still made it back without worries.

I don't remember the lines being very long at that time on a Sunday. Most people are at church, still sleeping, or getting ready to leave town. I think you'll be okay, even without the pass, especially since it's November.

I checked the costs online and the Hancock Tower was only a couple of dollars less than the Willis Tower. So cost would not be a deciding factor. Shorter lines might be. However, I'm set on going to the Willis Tower on this trip...if the CL is not running too late. I may decide to splurge on the express tickets...we'll see.
I think you're already on the right path. Stick to the Sears tower. It's near the station and fun to visit. Get there early if possible to avoid a long wait in line. If there is a long line anyway and it's not moving fast enough to make the trip worthwhile then by all means pay for the fast past.

What the hell is the Willis Tower?
Some sort of advertising slang for the Sears Tower. :lol:

I went to the SkyDeck last in September, while waiting to make a connection at CHI. The view was great - as it was a clear day. :cool:

I went in the afternoon, and even with waiting in line for a ticket (there was only one ticket window open despite the fact there was about a 15 minute wait :wacko: ) it took a couple of hours total. But then I did not dwadle. No photo. Nothing from the souvenier shop up on the deck. Nor did I stop to look, or buy anything, in any of the THREE :angry: souvenier shops, or the food court, that one has to pass through once back down from the deck.

Don't let them fool you, you DON'T have to BUY ANYTHING to exit the place! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the SkyDeck last in September, while waiting to make a connection at CHI. The view was great - as it was a clear day. :cool:

I went in the afternoon, and even with waiting in line for a ticket (there was only one ticket window open despite the fact there was about a 15 minute wait :wacko: ) it took a couple of hours total. But then I did not dwadle. No photo. Nothing from the souvenier shop up on the deck. Nor did I stop to look, or buy anything, in any of the THREE :angry: souvenier shops, or the food court, that one has to pass through once back down from the deck.

Don't let them fool you, you DON'T have to BUY ANYTHING to exit the place! :lol:
I don't plan to stop in the souvenier shops, but can't say the same for my daughter (and she's 18). Ideally, we could skip all the "info" that is provided "on the way", but I suppose not. I guess that's what takes up most of the time. Well, we'll see how things go when we get to Chicago. If the weather is bad, I'm not inclined to venture out of Union Station. So far, the long-range forecast is for some showers.

Thanks everyone for your input (and more input is certainly welcomed as my trip is T minus 9 days.

My only other piece of advice is to visit the Sky Deck early in your visit. Some families will patiently wait for their turn and quickly make room for the next group when they're done. If everyone was like that then it would be a breeze to visit. Unfortunately there are other families that will push their way past the folks who are waiting, intentionally barge into any photos, and hog the box for most of their stay. <_<

The Willis Tower can have short or long lines depending on the season and the condition of the view on the observation deck. In November it shouldn't be at its peak so just go there and see. The Hancock Tower is in the Magnificent Mile area and its a cab ride distance for us. The advantage is the Magnificent mile area has an abundance of Restuarants and great upscale shopping. If you go to either location you will be required to pass through a metal detector so make sure that you don't take your knife or pistol along with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of us who grew up in Chicago and watched her being built, it will ALWAYS be Sears Tower :)
Except for those of us who call it the Big Willie. (Oh boy, do the Tower people ever hate that.)

If you go to either location you will be required to pass through a metal detector so make sure that you don't take your knife or pistol along with you.
Um, are foamers usually packing heat these days? :wacko:

I guess any of those who do should come on over to Texas. From what I understand most public buildings in Texas can't actually prevent you from bringing your guns inside so long as they're registered and you're licensed to carry. In other words just about anyone who's not a felon or a confirmed lunatic can take a gun almost anywhere in this state. We also have a "shoot first" law that allows both the paranoid and the vengeful to use their persecution complex as a bonafide legal defense in the killing of even unarmed civilians.

The Willis Tower can have short or long lines depending on the season and the condition of the view on the observation deck. In November it shouldn't be at its peak so just go there and see. The Hancock Tower is in the Magnificent Mile area and its a cab ride distance for us. The advantage is the Magnificent mile area has an abundance of Restuarants and great upscale shopping. If you go to either location you will be required to pass through a metal detector so make sure that you don't take your knife or pistol along with you.
DANG! :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back