Chicago Waiting Room

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So her granddaughter and her kids would be able to get in with one pass for each of them, ...
It is one pass for all of them.

The passes state "Entry valid for bearer and immediate family members or one non-family guest traveling together."

Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounges like the one in Chicago are only for First Class passengers with a same-day ticket. When they say First Class that DOES NOT INCLUDE those with tickets for coach seats only. The lounge is for those that are paying premium prices for rooms aboard the train and quite frankly the room could not handle all ticketed passengers and visitors.
Now, if it was my granddaughter, and she had a few hours there, I would buy her a one-day pass to the Metropolitan Lounge. You can buy them off eBay rather cheaply.
Out of curiousity, who would buy them, besides Amtrak riders?

Now, if it was my granddaughter, and she had a few hours there, I would buy her a one-day pass to the Metropolitan Lounge. You can buy them off eBay rather cheaply.
For the most part, one buys them from AGR. You have to buy them in groups of 5. So, some people who don't need all 5, sell their extras on eBay.

Beside Amtrak, possibly Continental Air passengers in NY???

So her granddaughter and her kids would be able to get in with one pass for each of them, ...
It is one pass for all of them.

The passes state "Entry valid for bearer and immediate family members or one non-family guest traveling together."
Well then that is a semi-recent change, since it used to be one pass per person, but a welcome one. Mind you I haven't seen such a pass in years now, since I'm Select Plus and I can just flash my card to gain entry.

For the most part, one buys them from AGR. You have to buy them in groups of 5. So, some people who don't need all 5, sell their extras on eBay.

Beside Amtrak, possibly Continental Air passengers in NY???
There are also people who don't live near a lounge that get the passes with their Select kits, and therefore sell them. And people do buy them.

RE: who gets in the CHI lounge (not Hall);

From the Amtrak Station Lounges page:

Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounges are located at the following stations:

* Chicago

* Miami

* New Orleans

* Portland, Oregon

* Raleigh

* St. Paul/Minneapolis

ClubAcela lounges are located at:

* Boston South Station

* New York Penn Station

* Philadelphia 30th Street Station

* Washington DC Union Station

So the Lounge in CHI can't be for Acela passengers, it doesn't run there.

This is also posted on the same Amtrak page;

"First Class passengers traveling aboard Acela Express trains and passengers traveling in Sleeping Car accommodations on long-distance trains, are welcome to use ClubAcela facilities by displaying a same-day Amtrak ticket."

And on another page;

"Sleeping car passengers are entitled to a range of hotel-like amenities, including fresh linen and towel service, complimentary bottled water and daily newspapers. In addition, as Sleeper Service passengers, you and your companions enjoy access during your voyage to ClubAcela and Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounges located at select stations."

So, there is a Sleeping Service class of passenger, but they still get the Acela and Amtrak 1st class perks as far as lounges go.

I looked on the AGR page and all I could find was the block of 5 passes for CulbAcela @ 5000 points. Would one be able to use these in the Metropolitan Lounge? I would gladly pay the points.

I travel through Chicago Union Station on the way to Saint Paul, MN on the Empire Builder about twice a month. I used to be able to get a sleeper for a reasonable price, but the bucket prices have gone through roof. Now I have to travel coach, and I sure miss being able to use the Met Lounge.

I looked on the AGR page and all I could find was the block of 5 passes for CulbAcela @ 5000 points. Would one be able to use these in the Metropolitan Lounge? I would gladly pay the points.
Yup, those are the passes that you need. They do say Club Acela on them, which is why some attendants at the CHI Met Lounge initially refused to take them. But in the fine print and elsewhere it does say that they are good for the Met Lounge too.

I think that the difference between First Class and Sleeper Class is that First Class implies unlimited liquor whilst Sleeper does not.

Yup, those are the passes that you need. They do say Club Acela on them, which is why some attendants at the CHI Met Lounge initially refused to take them. But in the fine print and elsewhere it does say that they are good for the Met Lounge too.
Yup, the fine print does say the passes are good at ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounge, and First Class Lounges.

Which just begs the question, what are First Class Lounges, if not Acela and Metropolitan?

Yup, the fine print does say the passes are good at ClubAcela, Metropolitan Lounge, and First Class Lounges.

Which just begs the question, what are First Class Lounges, if not Acela and Metropolitan?
Pacific Parlor Cars?

I just called AGR. It took them over 10 minutes to get the answer, but they read the pass and did confirm that they are good for the ClubAcela, and the Metropolitan Lounge. She first said they were only good for the ClubAcela, but after my questioning she then asked her supervisor, he didn't know. So they read the pass and what do you know it worked.

I now will purchase the 5 passes. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited by a moderator:

First class lounges are waiting areas for sleeping car pax that are usually not attended and lack a lot of the goodies such as Club Acela has in Boston. The last I knew they were in New Orleans (not much room and few amenities, Miami ( a large room and very nicely appointed) and a very nice Portland, Oregon lounge. I have heard rumblings of one in Charlotte but always fall asleep before we get there so maybe someone else can verify or disclaim its existence. I know of no others; perhaps someone can fill us in if others exist. OOps; almost forget the "new" waiting area for Coast Starlight pax at LAUPT. Haven't seen it but from others have shared it's not much to brag about. What concerns me about this is apparently pax for #2 and #4 cannot use the area. Anyone know for sure?

Last edited by a moderator:

With an upcoming CHI trip, as I understand it now, if I can locate a one-day ClubAcela pass, it would allow me and my family member (both with coach tickets) access to the Metropolitan Lounge... I'm sorry but could someone post (or re-post, as the case may be) the benefits of this lounge, thanks in advance :)

With an upcoming CHI trip, as I understand it now, if I can locate a one-day ClubAcela pass, it would allow me and my family member (both with coach tickets) access to the Metropolitan Lounge... I'm sorry but could someone post (or re-post, as the case may be) the benefits of this lounge, thanks in advance :)
Nice quiet, relaxing waiting area; comfortable overstuffed chairs instead of benches; AC on the weekends when the rest of the station goes without; refreshments including soda, water, coffee, tea, chips; clean restrooms with no lines; TV's; computer; pre-boarding for all long distance trains; red cap attended luggage room where you can park your bags for free while you go to get food or go touring Chicago (note: red cap does appreciate a tip, but it is not required).

AC on the weekends when the rest of the station goes without;
CHI is air-conditioned on weekdays but not on weekends? Why?
Because the station's AC system is tied into the building above the station. Office workers don't work on the weekends, so the building turns off the system. Hence, no AC in the Amtrak areas.

However, when Amtrak redid the Met Lounge a few years ago and expanded things, one of the other improvements was the installation of small independant AC units in the ceiling. And what a blessing as I spent many a hot summer day in the lounge prior to this major improvement.

Nice quiet, relaxing waiting area; comfortable overstuffed chairs instead of benches; AC on the weekends when the rest of the station goes without; refreshments including soda, water, coffee, tea, chips; clean restrooms with no lines; TV's; computer; pre-boarding for all long distance trains; red cap attended luggage room where you can park your bags for free while you go to get food or go touring Chicago (note: red cap does appreciate a tip, but it is not required).
Thanks, sounds very nice and hopefully I will come up with a pass! Would it be appropriate to leave laptop or anything expensive in the 'red cap attended luggage room' while doing some touring? I'm thinking no, but maybe...?...

Thanks, sounds very nice and hopefully I will come up with a pass! Would it be appropriate to leave laptop or anything expensive in the 'red cap attended luggage room' while doing some touring? I'm thinking no, but maybe...?...
I left all my bags, including my laptop bag in the luggage room. I can tell you that both times we were in CHI, I never saw a red cap near the luggage room. I had to find spots for our luggage. I still had my laptop after touring the city for a few hours. My daughter still had her dolls, even though she was concerned that someone would take them :blink:

The sign at the luggage room door specifially says, "don't give them laptops." On the other hand it is probably still safe, and especially if it's in a bag that doesn't look like a laptop case you might be quite safe.

But I've not tempted the fates in recent years. :blink:

About 5 or 6 years ago when I had one trip where I squeezed my laptop into my regular suit case I did temp the fates and it was fine. But I wouldn't give them something that obviously is a computer bag, just MHO.

I left all my bags, including my laptop bag in the luggage room. I can tell you that both times we were in CHI, I never saw a red cap near the luggage room. I had to find spots for our luggage. I still had my laptop after touring the city for a few hours. My daughter still had her dolls, even though she was concerned that someone would take them :blink:
This was in the Metropolitan Lounge? Recently? As in the last three years or so?

And did you confuse the old luggage area to the right of the checkin counter with the new area that is behind you when you are facing the checkin counter?

I've rarely seen the room unattended. And when it is, they usually have a tensi-barrier up in front of the room or the door closed.

This was in the Metropolitan Lounge? Recently? As in the last three years or so?

And did you confuse the old luggage area to the right of the checkin counter with the new area that is behind you when you are facing the checkin counter?

I've rarely seen the room unattended. And when it is, they usually have a tensi-barrier up in front of the room or the door closed.
I did not know there was a new area behind me while standing at the check-in counter. When we were there, we were told to put our luggage in the luggage area to the right of the counter. No mention of another spot. We were there on 6/22 and then on 6/28. My bag for my laptop also holds a lot of other things, so it doesn't look like a normal laptop bag. But like I said, we left it both times in CHI and it was fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back