Chicago things to do near Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad i found this form, because I am so clueless when it comes to my upcoming trip. I am going to Chicago on a trip during my reading days at college (not much reading going on if you ask me) I am going to be planning on having some time in Chicago, preferably in the afternoon time (maybe like 1-6 ish not sure had to also schedule a mega bus) It is going to be like early October on a week day. I dont want to have to take a cab/metra, I walk all around for a living so it wont kill me. I need some ideas on things to do and would greatly appreciate some input! reasonably priced food and attractions please im a college kid not a bank broker! :p

I haven't been there since I was a kid, but if I had 6 hours to spend in Chicago, I'd take a cab to the Museum of Science and Industry. Having grown up a military brat, living somewhere new every three years, I can say it was hands down the best museum of any I'd ever been to anywhere in the world. I love all the Smithsonians in DC but Chicago's Museum of S&I was better.

I haven't been there since I was a kid, but if I had 6 hours to spend in Chicago, I'd take a cab to the Museum of Science and Industry. Having grown up a military brat, living somewhere new every three years, I can say it was hands down the best museum of any I'd ever been to anywhere in the world. I love all the Smithsonians in DC but Chicago's Museum of S&I was better.
I was there last summer and just took a bus that went pretty much straight from downtown to the MSI. There were some stops along the way but it was pretty direct for a bus and you can't beat the price.

There is so much just within walking distance of Union Station that even I, a Californian and infrequent visitor to Chicago, know about.

I can't think of anything to do by the station other than Sears Tower, and I am a native.

Walk east on Adams St (exit Union Station on North side) about 20 minutes to Michigan (end of Adams--and east end of Route 66) gets you to the Art Institute. Go north on Michigan couple blocks to Millennium Park. Walk further up Michigan brings you to Chicago River,Tribune Tower, Wrigley Building, and Mag Mile. Continue to Water Tower, then Oak Street beach and lake front. About 2.5 miles from Union Station now. The 151 Sheridan bus on Michigan goes to Union Station and vice-versa. Fare is $2.25 cash. Daley Plaza--two blocks north of Adams at Clark and Washington has the Picasso sculpture. Chicago River is two more blocks north. Get a downtown map at Amtrak info counter or online at CTA website (transitchicago.com) Potbelly sandwich joints are okay.

See Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park. And Millenium Park. Get a gyros on Halsted. Or a Pastrami in the French Market by the old Northwestetn Station. Perhaps one of the Museums, such as Art Institute, Field (natural history), Adler Planaterium, or Shedd Aquarium. For free, drop by the Cultural Center to see an exhibit at this old central library and maybe even catch a concert. Walk down Michigan, across the bridge, to the Tribune Tower and see pieces from buildings around the world. If you do go to MSI, take a walk down the historic Midway and see the University of Chicago. Take a tour of Robie House or Rockefeller Chapel. There's a great view, and a Japanese Garden around the back (originally front) side of the museum. Or, instead of MSI, Findvisit the Oriental Institute or DuSable museum. Find some food (and great used book stores) on 57th Street. Or walk through the park to 53rd. You'll find the President's housr nearby here. If you're not interested in downtown or historic Hype Park, there are plenty of other interesting neighborhoods with their own historic and cultural aspects, often with good restaurants and ethnic food. Enjoy your trip. And welcome to the Great City by the Great Lake!

Chicago has an iphone app that is perfect for this.

The app is called 312Go. Turn it on and it tracks your location and the guides talk to you about the places you are walking past and sights you are seeing.

It's free on itunes.

Great way to kill sometime and learn about what's going on around you

I love MSI, but a few hours doesn't do it justice, but I could handle North Shore's agenda,,, (and go for the gyros !)

Chicago has an iphone app that is perfect for this.

The app is called 312Go. Turn it on and it tracks your location and the guides talk to you about the places you are walking past and sights you are seeing.

It's free on itunes.

Great way to kill sometime and learn about what's going on around you
That sounds great! I'm going to download that right now.

Reasonable and good food is available a short walk away Walk down the station to Jackson Street. Walk four blocks right to South Halstead Street. That is the Greektown section. In that area you have a great pastry shop, a number of Greek restaurants (The Greek Island is great) , some informal eateries , Dominicks Supermarket, a CVS store, a Starbucks and several other things.

For "things to do" ; most of the museums (and the Navy Pier) are on the lake side for which a cab ride is necessary. The Willis tower is a block away. .

As a youth with a best friend named Constantine Christopher, Diana's OOPAH on Halstead was heaven on earth,,, sadly I think it's gone,,,,,

Dominicks is dead (all stores closed at the end of last year) Marianos is the place to go to now.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I disagree that most of the downtown sites require a cab. A bus will do just fine and, if you have the time, ability, and will, can even walk as far as the Hancock Center/Oak St. Beach, Navy Pier, or the "Museum Campus" (which, to be clear, does not include MSI, further south) with no problem at all.

Though, if you want to hear some old radio broadcasts of the Whistler, you might want to check out the Museum of Broadcast Communications.

Though, if you want to hear some old radio broadcasts of the Whistler, you might want to check out the Museum of Broadcast Communications.

The Art Institute sells a combo ticket that gets you in the museum and to the Willis (Sears) Tower Skydeck. I forget the cost. For cheap eats, there is branch of the Billy Goat on Van Buren.

The new TILT attraction on the Observation Deck of the John Handjob Building is close enough to enjoy.

0.jpg

Water Taxi leaves from Adams St across bridge from Union Station. Short ride gets you to Michigan Ave or to Navy Pier. Wendella tour boats leave from Michigan ave by Wrigley Building. Chicago Architectural tours leave from other side of Michigan ave bridge. Check their websites for length and price. Just the water taxi trip gets you a spectacular view of riverfront.

I was going to suggest the water taxi. We took the taxi and I went bananas taking pictures of the architecture. Great ride, great price.

Most people love the architectural riverboat tours (lasting a couple of hours.) Though I think they embark from near the Michigan Ave. Bridge, as others have noted.

And, if you're going to Billy Goats, definitely do the noted underground street level one near there, across from Tribune Tower.

If I may chime on some of the posts here. Being from NJ and have made quite a few visits to Chicago I would like to comment on the area around CUS:

1. Greek Island Restaurant in Greek Town on So. Halsted St.. Best Greek cuisine that we've ever had and reasonably priced.

The Atopolis is a good place for sandwiches and salads. The Pan Helenic Pastry Shop is a good place to buy some good treats for your trip. The Parthenon is also a good restaurant but more expensive than the Greek Island

2. Sorry to hear that Dominicks Supermarket two blocks up at 40 S Halstead is gone. It sounds like the successor Marianos features all the same fresh food, coffee, juice bar and gourmet items. Good place to buy some take out food for the trip.

3. Agreed The bus system can take you to the museums and/or Navy pier on the Eastern lakeside end. Slower than a cab ride but more affordable. I guess that it will all depend on how much time you have before departure.

4. The playboy club closed long ago but you can still lodge there. Its now the Millenium Knickerbocker hotel on the North end of the Magnificent Mile across from the Drake Hotel. Have stayed there many times. It was also at one time Al Capone's Chicago office

5. And yes the Willis tower is across the street from CUS but I will not go there. You have to go through airport type security to take the elevator to the top. The Hancock tower on Michigan Ave respects people and doesn't subject you to the degrading animalistic personal assault like they do at Willis.

That's the visitors take on the subject

I don't remember security at Willis being that bad. It's just a metal detector. You don't have to take off your shoes or any other TSA-type stuff. I put my purse and change in the little bin and walked right through. I have to do the same thing at the courthouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back