Chicago things to do near Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anywhere to get Cannoli in the loop area? , we will hopefully be staying at the Central Loop hotel and only have one full day before the CZ trip. I tried Cannoli in NYC for the first time at Christmas and would have to have some more, not dared look for it in the UK as not diet friendly but diets are off on holidays!

I don't remember security at Willis being that bad. It's just a metal detector. You don't have to take off your shoes or any other TSA-type stuff. I put my purse and change in the little bin and walked right through. I have to do the same thing at the courthouse.
Same here, Sarah. I've done the same at the Smithsonians and amusement parks.

Guess some people are missing out on having fun visiting places.

Hancock tower on Michigan Ave respects people and doesn't subject you to the degrading animalistic personal assault like they do at Willis.
I have also found this to be true on the Observation Deck at the John Hancock Tower and I highly recommend the new TILT attraction there. Of course, you should not have a fear of heights. :)

Last edited:
Is there anywhere to get Cannoli in the loop area? , we will hopefully be staying at the Central Loop hotel and only have one full day before the CZ trip. I tried Cannoli in NYC for the first time at Christmas and would have to have some more, not dared look for it in the UK as not diet friendly but diets are off on holidays!
Ooh, yes.

Go to L'Appetito. It's at the bottom of the Hancock building, near The Cheesecake Factory. The entrance is on the outside, so go down the stairs into the plaza (you'll see what I mean). The address is 875 North Michigan Ave.

They have all kinds of Italian desserts, cookies, and gelato. They also have deli items, drinks, etc.

I haven't had their cannoli (yet), but if their other desserts and gelato are any indication, you will not be disappointed. :)

http://www.lappetito.com/

Edit: There's another location at 30 E. Huron. I haven't been to that one, but it's about 6-8 blocks closer to your hotel.

Last edited by a moderator:
So...all this focus on downtown.

But let's say someone wants to hop a bus, L, or even Metra train for a little trip to another neighborhood or burb. What would you recommend?

Glennview for lunch @ Grandpas or Joliet, makes for a nice points run if on Amtrak or cheaper on Metra!

If you like Baseball there is the famous Wrigley Field and The Sox play in South Chicago! Both reachable on the L!

There is also a nice Zoo in Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville is also a nice place full of clubs, cafes and interesting buildings! All reachable on the Brown Line on the L!

Ooh, yes.

Go to L'Appetito. It's at the bottom of the Hancock building, near The Cheesecake Factory. The entrance is on the outside, so go down the stairs into the plaza (you'll see what I mean). The address is 875 North Michigan Ave.

They have all kinds of Italian desserts, cookies, and gelato. They also have deli items, drinks, etc.

I haven't had their cannoli (yet), but if their other desserts and gelato are any indication, you will not be disappointed. :)

http://www.lappetito.com/

Edit: There's another location at 30 E. Huron. I haven't been to that one, but it's about 6-8 blocks closer to your hotel.
Thank you Sarah, hve bookmarked that link, mmmmm might just have to take the cannolis to go and try the gelato too :)

I'm tbinking for Italian eating, you really ought to just go down to "Little Italy" and Taylor Street's restuarants, not all that terribly far from Union Station, either. Try some Italian Ice!

Or try something along Grand Ave, west of Halsted. Good sandwich shops, pizza, and other yumilicious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back