Chicago station layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

morgan51

Train Attendant
I've posted before that I want to take a trip to the northwest coast in early spring from where I live in Lincoln, NE. But instead of catching the Zephyr west, I'm hoping to head westward on the Empire Builder by leaving home in Lincoln NE, connecting in Chicago to the Empire Builder, then heading north and westward from there. I would connect with the Coast Starlight in Portland, make whatever stop I decide upon in Oregon, then catch the Starlight down to Sac to reconnect with the eastbound Zephyr back to Lincoln. The layover in Sac wasn't bad last time. I didn't mind it.

Some have suggested other routes - take the Zephyr both ways, go south and connect northward in LA - but I am not interested in the southern route if I can avoid it. I really have my heart set on the Empire Builder. Renting a car or taking a bus to a smaller station from Lincoln to avoid the Chicago layover is too costly for me.

Does anyone have comments about just spending a day at the Chicago station reading, relaxing, and resting? Are there affordable places to eat or visit within safe walking distance? Are there lockers or watchers available for luggage like there are in Sacramento? I am disabled but mobile with my cane and walking is fine if it's not a long hike. And I think I will have ample time with my 15-day Rail Pass to spare a day.

No offense to the folks who replied to my earlier post. Just looking at more options and having a blast doing so :)

I don't recall if you're going coach or sleeper on the EB. If sleeper, you can store your luggage in the Metropolitan Lounge and hang out there. There are places to eat in the station plus places nearby. I'd recommend Lou Mitchell's - 1-1/2 blocks west on Jackson or any of the pizza places nearby.

There are lockers near the baggage claim area. Also, if you have a sleeper, you can use the First Class Lounge. They have comfortable seating, free chips, coffee and soft drinks. They also have a place you can check your bags for free while waiting for your train.

The station is in downtown Chicago and is save. You might use Uber if you don't want to walk. Also, there is a food court in the station with local foods. Many restaurants near the station.

Going Coach, AmtrakBlue, and thanks for the eatery ideas! Thanks also, benjibear, that helps to know. And thanks jimsinsky. just saw your reply too. Glad to know more about the station and area. Sounds like the Chicago layover might not be a bad idea since I am going for the rest, fun and adventure anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing to note is that the station does close from 1 am to 5 am, so those four hours you will have to find somewhere else to go. A few people on this forum have stayed at the HI Hostel in Chicago and found it quite good for the price, if you do not have friends or family in the area.

If you can walk, Chicago's a fun layover. The station is within blocks of the Loop, and across the river from the Sears Tower ("Willis Tower").

In a city with so many interesting museums, tasty restaurants, famous parks, acclaimed architecture, unique comedy shows, amusing tours, and fantastic live music, I cannot imagine wasting my stopover down in the bowels of Union Station.

One thing to note is that the station does close from 1 am to 5 am, so those four hours you will have to find somewhere else to go. A few people on this forum have stayed at the HI Hostel in Chicago and found it quite good for the price, if you do not have friends or family in the area.
So they make people leave the Metro lounge between 1 am and 5 am?

So they make people leave the Metro lounge between 1 am and 5 am?
The Metropolitan Lounge closes after the eastbound Lake Shore Limited departs at 9:30pm. It reopens at 7:45am.

I would NOT try and do an overnight in Downtown Chicago without a paying for a place to sleep especially when I know I can get a bed in the HI for $30 a night. Union Station does close.

If I was miss-connected in a Chicago Airport and stuck for a night that would be another matter (I've heard the Chicago Airports are quite good at leaving cots out for standard travelers) I'm assuming you need a plane ticket and be airside to get to them to avoid them turning into homes for the homeless.

Consider a Saturday or Friday night stayover in Chicago as hotel rates are lower. Moreover, if you arrive on Saturday, the roads are less crowded so taxis can get around. Same on Sunday to get back to the station. There should be always something going on in town and buses are at street level and less crowded on weekends so your Saturday (and Sunday AM) would be easier to get around.

Hostel sounds perfect. Lots of info at their web site. Other stops will be limited due to my budget. I'll stick to what's close and walkable. Thanks for suggestions, everyone! If I had money I'm sure I could enjoy other wonderful places Chicago has to offer - I've been there before - but taxis and hotels are just not affordable for me. I'm still going to make it an exciting adventure as best I can!

Check to see if you can find a cheap place to stay in Milwaukee. Take the CZ to Chicago and store the luggage in a locker for 1.5 to 3 hours. Walk east on Jackson to the Willis (former Sears) Tower.

Take the elevator up to the observation floor. Have a good look around and then head back to the station. Get something to eat and then take 1 of the 2 Hiawatha trains that leave 2-6 hours after the CZ arrives.

You'll have the morning and most of the afternoon to check out Milwaukee before the EB gets there around 3:30PM. Plan on at least 44.5 hours from MKE to PDX.

Wow you all are making this easy, thanks! Both great ideas, esp Milwaukee connection. Def going to look into that.

Check to see if you can find a cheap place to stay in Milwaukee. Take the CZ to Chicago and store the luggage in a locker for 1.5 to 3 hours. Walk east on Jackson to the Willis (former Sears) Tower.

Take the elevator up to the observation floor. Have a good look around and then head back to the station. Get something to eat and then take 1 of the 2 Hiawatha trains that leave 2-6 hours after the CZ arrives.

You'll have the morning and most of the afternoon to check out Milwaukee before the EB gets there around 3:30PM. Plan on at least 44.5 hours from MKE to PDX.
Except Sears/Willis Tower is not exactly inexpensive when you're on a tight budget.

The cheapest (free) place on Jackson Blvd is the Federal Reserve Bank self guided tour. The FRB is across the street from the Chicago Board of Trade.

The cheapest place to eat within walking distance of CUS is Pierogi Heaven which is a hole in the wall place underneath the El north and east of the station.

I've had great luck with Hotwire for hotels. If you have time, you can stay near O'Hare. Take the L to the airport and get a hotel with an airport shuttle.

One other thing of note: If you're a member of a science museum that has ASTC reciprocity (the University of Nebraska State Museum of Natural History appears to be one participating member) you can visit the Museum of Science and Industry, the Field Museum, and the Adler Planetarium free of charge. May not be worth joining just for that benefit, but if you're already a member it's a very handy benefit.

With everyone's help and suggestions, my dreaded layover in Chicago has turned into another adventurous leg of my trip. thanks to you all. Funny, I was about to join the UNL museum membership here, as I do with the Libncoln Children's Zoo annually as well, because of the reciprocity with other museums and zoos. It's not that expensive anbd the year-round benefits are worth it. Good to know since those museums you mentioned, jebr, would most definitely be interesting to me. I love science and history. And yes, DevilsAdvocate, I will take your advice. I have all winter to plan this since I can't buy my rail pass until within 6 months of my travel, if I'm getting that part right. I was planning to purchase my rail pass and book the legs of the trip at the same time. Would February or March be too late for travel in May? Should I buy the pass earlier? I know rail pass accomodations are limited.

As far as the suggestion by tomfuller to go to Milwaukee from Chicago, wouldn't that use up one of the eight legs on the pass? Don't know if it would be worth it unless you really have a desire to go there for some reason. After I finish here, I am going to check out the Hostel and see what that's all about, I have seen it mentioned several times on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back