Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just in the lounge and the woman at the front desk who gathered us to walk to the train (Capitol Ltd - on board waiting for departure) said it would be opening in June. She also said if you arrive in Chicago on a sleeper but are leaving in coach you will NOT be able to use the lounge unless you are otherwise qualified to enter.

I was just in the lounge and the woman at the front desk who gathered us to walk to the train (Capitol Ltd - on board waiting for departure) said it would be opening in June. She also said if you arrive in Chicago on a sleeper but are leaving in coach you will NOT be able to use the lounge unless you are otherwise qualified to enter.
Seriously? SERIOUSLY? That's ridiculous. Why pay for the sleeper service (that says it includes lounge access)???

Seriously? SERIOUSLY? That's ridiculous. Why pay for the sleeper service (that says it includes lounge access)???
Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous, but I don't think that will happen. If it does, Amtrak Customer Relations better be ready.

Was that one of those Chicago "Gate Dragons" we hear so much about?

Sure sounds like another Chicago Dragon making up rules on the fly!
I do not believe anyone is making up rules on the fly. I heard the same thing in Chicago when I was there last month.

Sure sounds like another Chicago Dragon making up rules on the fly!
I do not believe anyone is making up rules on the fly. I heard the same thing in Chicago when I was there last month.
Granted that y'all have heard this from various sources but this one is a major change in policy since up to now if one had a Sleeping Car ticket for that particular day, whether arriving or departing you were eligible to use the Lounge that day!

Hopefully these people are mistaken but if not just another example of giving the paying passengers Less for Higher Fares!

This sucks!

I took a round trip from Holland, MI to Glenview and got to use the lounge going from Business Class on the Pere Marquette to coach on the Hiawatha last month with no problems at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you arrive on a sleeper connecting to an all coach train, then you should be able to use the Lounge, it part of the reservation to get from point A to B. If you arrive on Coach connecting to a Sleeper there is no problem, so why would the passenger be treated such on the reverse?

If you arrive on a sleeper connecting to an all coach train, then you should be able to use the Lounge, it part of the reservation to get from point A to B. If you arrive on Coach connecting to a Sleeper there is no problem, so why would the passenger be treated such on the reverse?

Shouldn't. Your purchase for a BC or Sleeper is supposed to give you total access to the lounge no matter what your ticket says for your connecting train. That policy is still stated on the Amtrak page: https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245658203&WT.z_va_evt=redirect&WT.z_va_topic=Station%20Information&WT.z_va_unit=Metropolitan%20Lounge&WT.z_va_group=Station%20Details

"Metropolitan Lounges are available in Chicago - Union Station, Los Angeles - Union Station and Portland, OR - Union Station to sleeping car passengers, business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive members. Relax and enjoy comfortable, quiet lounge seating, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, snacks, and internet access. Attendants are available to assist with reservations, ticketing and local information."

As I said above, I didn't have any problems switching from the Pere Marquette Business Class to the Hiawatha, which is all coach, using the lounge during the layover.

With so many problems, I plan to print out the policy and have it with me every time I'm in that scenario.

Shouldn't. Your purchase for a BC or Sleeper is supposed to give you total access to the lounge no matter what your ticket says for your connecting train. That policy is still stated on the Amtrak page: https://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245658203&WT.z_va_evt=redirect&WT.z_va_topic=Station%20Information&WT.z_va_unit=Metropolitan%20Lounge&WT.z_va_group=Station%20Details

"Metropolitan Lounges are available in Chicago - Union Station, Los Angeles - Union Station and Portland, OR - Union Station to sleeping car passengers, business class passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) and Amtrak Guest Rewards Select Plus or Select Executive members. Relax and enjoy comfortable, quiet lounge seating, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages, snacks, and internet access. Attendants are available to assist with reservations, ticketing and local information."

As I said above, I didn't have any problems switching from the Pere Marquette Business Class to the Hiawatha, which is all coach, using the lounge during the layover.

With so many problems, I plan to print out the policy and have it with me every time I'm in that scenario.
The policy is the policy until they issue a new policy, which can happen without notice.

I've heard the same thing about departing passengers only with the thought that the change will take place when the new Chicago lounge opens. I don't consider it more than a rumor at this point, but given recent history, it would not surprise me.

The new lounge is very un-Amtrak looking. I hope that they will upgrade their snack and beverage offerings to match the physical surroundings. That aspect of the existing lounge is pretty miserable.

The last time I was at the Metropolitan lounge in Chicago, the place was so packed that I literally had to sit on an end table. If I had not been with a small group, I would have walked out and sat in the Great Hall. Just having an actual chair for sitting will be an upgrade for me.

The policy is the policy until they issue a new policy, which can happen without notice.

I've heard the same thing about departing passengers only with the thought that the change will take place when the new Chicago lounge opens. I don't consider it more than a rumor at this point, but given recent history, it would not surprise me.
I guess we'll see in about a month or so. I'm always the eternal Amtrak optimist, so I have hope it's the same as it's been before.

If true I don't understand what the marketing logic would be behind downgrading facilities for upper class passengers. This is almost opposite of what airlines do. Some airlines maintain special arrival lounges for the Upper Class passengers to use upon arrival to take a shower and get ready before they head off to business or pleasure or whatever.

Similarly I don't understand the lack of TQP bonuses for the Sleeper passengers. AFAIK most airlines give TQP and straight points/segments bonuses to their upper class passengers. I wonder which genius dreams up these self defeating strategies at Amtrak?

PRR60: could you shed some light on this comment of yours?"

"The new lounge is very un-Amtrak looking."

I would pretty much discount what that Chicago agent said about restricting access for incoming passengers unless I heard something from another source. If anything, it would make more sense to restrict access to the current, much smaller, lounge. About 90% of what I've heard from Amtrak onboard or station staff has never come to pass. Amtrak's rumor mills are alive and thriving.

I would pretty much discount what that Chicago agent said about restricting access for incoming passengers unless I heard something from another source. If anything, it would make more sense to restrict access to the current, much smaller, lounge. About 90% of what I've heard from Amtrak onboard or station staff has never come to pass. Amtrak's rumor mills are alive and thriving.
It was just a few months ago rumor had it the new lounge wouldn't have bathrooms. That certainly proved to be false and until I see or hear otherwise I won't believe this rumor either.

B/C to coach, Coach to B/c perhaps, the upcharge for a short B/C trip might not cover the bags of chips and the like I've seen some folks stuff in their bags, but sleeper passengers really should be left as is.

Back