Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad the pass worked out! That is the benefit of BOTH me and H being select this year - lots of coupons! We are both going to shoot for S+ so hopefully we won't even need the lounge passes soon. Anyone else who wants one, feel free to send me a PM because I don't think I will be using the lounge passes.

I was under the impression that the CHI metro lounge was to be upgraded and relocated to the Great Hall butI guess not. The lounge still looks the same as it was when we were there last year.
The "new and improved" Metropolitan Lounge is under construction on the east side(river side) of the Great Hall, just north of the "Untouchables" stairway that goes up to canal street from the south end of the Great Hall. Date to be opened is to be determined.

What is a lounge pass, and is it possible for me to obtain one? Is it something you purchase? Is it only available to people with a million AGR points?

We're riding in Coach for our cross-country Christmas trip because my boyfriend is a bah-humbug, and I don't feel like hanging out in the freezing cold waiting area. We're going to try to get seats in the food court (Urlacher-style, since we figure it's going to be packed that day).

Barring that, I might set up my blanket and pillow in the Great Hall and get comfy with a book. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
We were there last year.

I didn't even know the place existed, but was just in Union Station to pick up my tickets that i'd bought online. But the lady at the ticket desk insisted we go there so we did.

It was very much like in your pictures. There were a couple of people there but it was very quiet. We had a coffee and then left our luggage with the luggage guy and then went outside for some more sightseeing in the area (we had about 2 to 3 hours).

I can't remember if there were any snacks or newspapers or anything but wouldn't rule it out. I'm not even sure if there was WiFi.

When we came back it was a bit fuller but not much. Some of the faces were the same so I'd guess they'd been waiting there all the time. This was about half an hour before departure time but they were already announcing our train and the redcap was a bit upset that we were late as she had already marched the others out. But we still had plenty of time.

We're going to try to get seats in the food court (Urlacher-style, since we figure it's going to be packed that day).Barring that, I might set up my blanket and pillow in the Great Hall and get comfy with a book. ;)
When you can't use the Metroplitan Lounge, I recommend the Metro Deli between the Metra ticket office and the great hall as a place to hang-out.

According to a text message from Shanghai, the internet is down today (10/29/11) at the CHI Metropolitan lounge.

We're going to try to get seats in the food court (Urlacher-style, since we figure it's going to be packed that day).Barring that, I might set up my blanket and pillow in the Great Hall and get comfy with a book. ;)
When you can't use the Metroplitan Lounge, I recommend the Metro Deli between the Metra ticket office and the great hall as a place to hang-out.
Thanks for the recommendation. I walk by it all the time, but I've never eaten there. I hear good things about it all the time.

I'm amazed by those pictures. Amazed because both times I used the Metropolitan Lounge it was packed with people, barely a seat to be had., and luggage blocking aisles. Both times were at the same time of day so maybe that's unusual. (I was connecting between the Hiawatha 334 and the TE 21.) About the only advantage was being guided to the sleeper when it was time to board.

I'm amazed by those pictures. Amazed because both times I used the Metropolitan Lounge it was packed with people, barely a seat to be had., and luggage blocking aisles. Both times were at the same time of day so maybe that's unusual. (I was connecting between the Hiawatha 334 and the TE 21.) About the only advantage was being guided to the sleeper when it was time to board.
Aloha

While being empty is unusual here is my picture of an uncrowded lounge.

35845291_fS39h-M.jpg

This was in Sept. 2005

When the New Lounge is completed out by the Greart Hall, should be lots more room, perhaps better refreshments and maybe the Wi-Fi and the Slowest Computer in the World will be better! :lol:

As has been said, the time of day has lots to do with the crowd in the Lounge, when Four Long Distance Trains are going out within a couple of Hours, and Four are arriving shortly after, not to mention the pax that will catch the Cardinal and the Cap later, it makes for a pretty crowded situation. There's even people that hang out there and eat Pizza etc., a bunch of wierdos called AUers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

World's slowest internet is right! When I was there in August the internet was slower than the time the ancient dial-up in my backwoods town a decade ago was messed up. It was for all intents and purposes unusable, as was the internet in the Metropolitan Lounge.

Tom: Thanks for the videos, seems like you are one of the few who gets to experience the Lounge when it's not jammed, Guess the Early Bird gets the worm as they say! ^_^
2:30 in the afternoon - not so early, but it was nice.

My favorite place to stay between trains. Most of the time the wi-fi works great.
When we were there this last weekend the community computer wasn't working and they said it had been down for four days!

I am in the lounge now. The Capital Limited & Cardinal have left and the lounge is quite empty.

For the first time in my recent three visits, the Wi - Fi IS working!!

My favorite place to stay between trains. Most of the time the wi-fi works great.
When we were there this last weekend the community computer wasn't working and they said it had been down for four days!

I am in the lounge now. The Capital Limited & Cardinal have left and the lounge is quite empty.

For the first time in my recent three visits, the Wi - Fi IS working!!
Wi-Fi is working now. (11/12/11). I just arrived on 58 and will be leaving on 50. The lounge is EMPTY, but not for long.

Before I went into the lounge today, I picked up a java at Corner Bakery and took a seat nearby. I was surprised to learn that people around me were connecting to the Met Lounge signal. With so many signal squatters upstairs, I am not surprised that the service is so slow in the ML itself. They should PW protect the network and provide the login credentials at check-in to reign in the access.

I'll echo everyone else's thanks to MrFSS for the pics/vid. I'll be making my first visit to the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge on Dec. 11. I'll be coming up on the 390 Saluki from Carbondale that morning, doing some sightseeing, and then heading out on the CONO that night. After two nights in NOLA, I'll be coming back to CHI on the CONO, arriving on the 15th. More sightseeing, then back down to CDL on that afternoon's 393 Illini. Pertaining to the lounge, a couple of (likely dumb) newbie questions:

Upon arriving from 390, I know I'll need to pick up my CONO sleeper ticket to show upon entering the lounge. Does one then just hand off their bags to the redcap in the baggage room? I'm assuming a tip is appropriate for the baggage room person, and if so does one give it upon dropping off their bags, or when they retrieve them. One other thing about the lounge. I know that on the way I'll be taken out from the lounge to the CONO with the other sleeper passengers at boarding time. But, when I am on the way back, is 393 announced in the lounge and do they also take you out to it, or is that just for the sleeper trains?

Some tip when dropping bags off, others tip when picking up. Your choice really.

And yes, you'll need to pick up those sleeper tickets to get into the lounge.

They will announce 393 in the lounge, but you'll have to go out to the regular waiting rooms to board. No slipping out the back door for non-sleeper trains. :(

Some tip when dropping bags off, others tip when picking up. Your choice really.

They will announce 393 in the lounge, but you'll have to go out to the regular waiting rooms to board. No slipping out the back door for non-sleeper trains. :(
Thanks Alan, what I figured on all of the above but what I love about this board is finding out things for sure ahead of time so that I can act like I have a clue. :giggle:

Thanks Alan, what I figured on all of the above but what I love about this board is finding out things for sure ahead of time so that I can act like I have a clue. :giggle:
Some of us act like we have a clue, and we really don't. :lol: I was in the metro lounge on Saturday from 9:30am to 5:15pm. I usually tip afterwards, and since the attendant that took my luggage was not the same one that returned it to me, the first attendant was not tipped by me. I guess I should have tipped half when leaving the luggage and half when retrieving. I will know for next time - but I am usually not there that long. :eek:

I would have to agree with everyone else and say thank you for the pictures and the video. The metropolitan lounge is always a nice area to relax before your train departs. Glad there are some photos of it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back