Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFSS

Engineer
Honored Member
I was in Chicago for a quick turn on Saturday. Another AU member sent me a lounge pass (Thanks, Amamba) so my wife and I could wait there for our departing train. We happened to get in right after all the afternoon LD trains had left and before the afternoon LD trains arrived. So, it was almost empty. A good time for some pictures. If you have never been in the lounge in Chicago, here's what it looks like.

0045-1.jpg

This is the main entrance as seen from just outside the doors where you enter the lounge.

0051.jpg

The reception desk where you check in.

0052.jpg

The door to the baggage storage area.

0053.jpg

The refreshment center. No snacks - just drinks.

0050-1.jpg

Waiting area with TV.

0049.jpg

Waiting area near the rear exit to the trains.

0048.jpg

Waiting area - looking toward the reception desk.

Questions - let us know.

Thanks for the pics. I'll be there in less than 4 weeks. I always like to try to visualize places I've never been to before, so this is great.

I was in Chicago for a quick turn on Saturday. Another AU member sent me a lounge pass (Thanks, Amamba) so my wife and I could wait there for our departing train. We happened to get in right after all the afternoon LD trains had left and before the afternoon LD trains arrived. So, it was almost empty. A good time for some pictures. If you have never been in the lounge in Chicago, here's what it looks like.
Great to meet you and Mrs. FSS. John

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job with the photos! I'll be there tomorrow to catch the Texas Eagle. Don't the ceilings there seem a little low?

WOW - I have never seen it that empty. Did you have any problem (like Kevin did) using a pass with a woman's name on it? I understand that when Kevin tried to use the pass the lounge was packed.

:hi: Nice pics Tom, thanks! Im wondering if the fact that ya'll were there after the Western Trainjs left if the "snacks" had all been eaten by the thundering hurd waiting on the LD Trains? Everytime Ive been there Ive noticed Pretzels, Goldfish and sometimes even pastry set out for those waiting, but this is the second post that has mentioned no snacks available, is Amtrak trying to cut back by starving LD Travelers while they wait! :eek: :lol:

:hi: Nice pics Tom, thanks! Im wondering if the fact that ya'll were there after the Western Trainjs left if the "snacks" had all been eaten by the thundering hurd waiting on the LD Trains? Everytime Ive been there Ive noticed Pretzels, Goldfish and sometimes even pastry set out for those waiting, but this is the second post that has mentioned no snacks available, is Amtrak trying to cut back by starving LD Travelers while they wait! :eek: :lol:
Probably decided they don't need to provide food since everyone orders pizza from, um, what's the name of that place again? :giggle:

Really good photos - thanks.

No! I have never seen it so empty either - usually jammed full in my experience. Guess it all depends on time of day.

I see you hid the faces of the Red Cap and those at the desk behind the computers. Was that to protect the guilty (I mean innocent)!
laugh.gif

I rather be in the ML than see photos of it!
mosking.gif
But really, good job Tom!

WOW - I have never seen it that empty. Did you have any problem (like Kevin did) using a pass with a woman's name on it? I understand that when Kevin tried to use the pass the lounge was packed.
Penny - when we first entered the place was packed and I had to wait for about 3-4 sets of passengers to check in before it was my turn. All I could think was, "they aren't gong to let us in, today."

But, the lady behind the desk looked at our tickets, the pass (which was from Amamba's husband) gave me the pink entrance pass and said, "next!" to the couple behind us. Sharon and I used the rest rooms and then left for Lou Mitchell's.

0044-1.jpg

After we return was when the lounge was almost empty. We said goodbye to John as he went to board the builder and watch the CZ and SWC folks leave. Then it was really empty in there.

:hi: Nice pics Tom, thanks! I'm wondering if the fact that y'all were there after the Western Trains left if the "snacks" had all been eaten by the thundering hurd waiting on the LD Trains? Everytime Ive been there Ive noticed Pretzels, Goldfish and sometimes even pastry set out for those waiting, but this is the second post that has mentioned no snacks available, is Amtrak trying to cut back by starving LD Travelers while they wait! :eek: :lol:
Jim - last couple of times I've been in there snacks were far and few between.

Really good photos - thanks.

No! I have never seen it so empty either - usually jammed full in my experience. Guess it all depends on time of day.
Probably not the day but the time of day if everything is running on time, which it was on Saturday.

John - good to meet you - wish we could have had more time to chat. Are you home, yet?

I'd have to say thanks for the pictures because now I have something to strive for lol (never been in there, always took coach)

The snacks have to be replenished by the staff and in some lounges, they're not especially good at doing that. NYP has this problem too, although in defense of the NYP staff; they are very busy there compared to all other lounges save Chicago and they have to stand up to even see if the snacks have all been eaten. The counter behind which they sit prevents a direct view of the snack & beverage area. Out of sight/out of mind. Same problem for Chicago too, although in their case the snacks are around the corner so a wall is in the way.

Very nice photos! I've been in there once when it was not so busy, also after the west-bound trains had left, but usually it's really busy. And thanks for the photo from Lou Mitchell's! Yum!

Nice photos. I've been in the lounge several times and have never seen it that empty. And have never seen it out of snacks. (I know because the snack counter is always the first place I head once I get to the lounge :lol: ) Problem is, after seeing these photos, I want to go on a long-distance train trip, knowing I won't be able to go on one for at least nine months. :eek:

And thanks for the photo from Lou Mitchell's! Yum!
Well - the interesting thing about our visit was it was my wife's first time in the place.

She is a Weight Watchers type of person (I'm not :cool: ) so she had a hard time with the menu. And, what she had she really didn't like. My olive burger was great!

And thanks for the photo from Lou Mitchell's! Yum!
Well - the interesting thing about our visit was it was my wife's first time in the place.

She is a Weight Watchers type of person (I'm not :cool: ) so she had a hard time with the menu. And, what she had she really didn't like. My olive burger was great!
A group of 5 of us ate at Lou Mitchell's on our way to the gathering. I try to eat healthy and was very happy with my sliced turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread. However, most of the menu options were not for calorie watchers. It was my first time there and it was an interesting experience. Please note that I am not complaining about the food - the group was very considerate of me when they opted to go to Lou Mitchell's over Giodano's. Because of my allergy to garlic, I would not have been able to eat at Giodano's - and I had many options at Lou Mitchell's. But to me honest, I enjoy hanging out with AU members even if I am unable to eat the same food as they do. :wacko:

PS - Please tell Sharon hi for me.

The problem was I Got that fat a$$ tim i think his name was. He was one of those people who knows everything but knows nothing. Said passes are nontransferable they have to be in your name etc.He gave hessjm a hassle with the select plus card. then when everyone aruged my case the women next to tim was afraid to stand up to him and just said we have 4 large groups coming in we just can't. Its one extra person not a group. But tim picked the wrong group of railfans to mess with. Alan sent a email to a amtrak big wig who means business.

I went in their with Alan a couple of weeks ago, with my select plus card, and saw the guy. I thought, this should be interesting since I had read about this on the forums. His demeanor was much improved. He glanced at my card and let me enter with no hassle. Alan noted that his announcements were much more precise and pleasant. He must have gotten the message somewhere. LOL.

John - good to meet you - wish we could have had more time to chat. Are you home, yet?
Yes. Home early today.

My favorite place to stay between trains. Most of the time the wi-fi works great.

My favorite place to stay between trains. Most of the time the wi-fi works great.
When we were there this last weekend the community computer wasn't working and they said it had been down for four days!
Really hard to tell Tom since that is the infamous Slowest Computer in the World! And as has been said, it seems to be "down" most times, with the "friendly" front desk staff ever vigilent for those that try to boot it up! :help:

Thanks.. I'm going to be there in Chicago in 7 weeks!!!!! Now I know just what to look for :wub:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back