Chicago-Florida

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one is going to spend two nights on a train just to go from CHI to FL.
I agree about two nights. It certainly stopped me from taking the train when I found that out. We would have gotten a sleeper too but, not at those prices. One night, most likely.
Correction - almost no one! I would! :p

But I agree, most people would rather take the shortest route with the least overnights.

Look at (for example) CHI-PDX. I think many more take the EB for 2 overnights than take the CZ or SWC connecting to the CS for 3 nights! Or CHI-LAX, many more take the SWC for 2 nights than take the TE for 3 nights!

Getting the impression many think there is not a major market for a midwest to Florida train, am I right? I think a CHI-FL train through Indy or CIN through LOU, or NASH to Chattanooga and through the ATL would be wildly successful. There may not be the same amount of snowbirds as in the NEC but there is enough from the midwest. And trying to extrapolate numbers from how many that connect in DC to the Silver trains from the Cap Ltd is not a true gauge. No one is going to spend two nights on a train just to go from CHI to FL.

That's whats happening now!

RF

This topic has been discussed multiple times on this site.
When looking favorable at the "Dixieland's" route, it should be remembered that this was the first of the "fast three" to die.

To summarize previous discussion:

The fastest and most popular, the City of Miami through Jackson TN, Birmingham, and Columbus GA is no longer possible. Critical segments of the route have eitehr been abandoned or become slow speed short lines.

The South Wind route, which became the Amtrak Floridian's route would need major work between Chicago and Indianapolis and between Montgomery and Waycross GA to have a decently fast schedule.

The Dixieland route, while all in place and all with CTC signalling and higging the most centers of population, although missing such places as Indianapolis and Louisville in favor of Evansville IN, is very congested with freight, very curvey across northern Georgia and with reductions in Superelevation on many curves could not support the speeds of the past, nor given the current realitiies where the train could not be "given the road" there is no way the former schedule could even be approached.
George, I think two things may have contributed to "my train', the Dixie Flagler/Dixieland falling first.

One, the fact that the Flagler was slower to run all streamlined sleeping cars, as noted per my earlier post. The City of Miami and the South Wind only suffered that anomoly one or at the most two winter seasons. The Flagler had some lightweight sleepers of course but it was not until it was re equipped and renamed the Dixieland 12/54 that all its sleepers were streamlined.

Secondly, the winter season New Royal Palm gave more daily competition than might be thought. It was all streamlined and daily and from Chattanooga and Atlanta to Jacksonville and Miami was fully as fast as the Dixie Flagler/Dixieland. Noted in my earlier post, both the SW and the City served Birmingham and the SW and the Flager both served Nashville. But the additional competition from the New Royal Palm on its faster winter schedule seemed fairly intense.
Bill: I also suspect that the schedule of the Dixie Flagler was wound considerably tighter than the City of Miami, and possibly tighter than the South Wind. The CofM had more frequent stops and longer dwell times than the other two despite having the same end to end time. for Example: The CofM stop in B'han was scheduled for 30 minutes compared to the South Wind's 8 to 10 minutes. Therefore, there was less time in the DF's schedule to make up for delays. Given the crookedness of the W&A, it is also likely that the run between Atlanta and Chattanooga had a lot of stay in your seat and hang on distance.

Bill: I also suspect that the schedule of the Dixie Flagler was wound considerably tighter than the City of Miami, and possibly tighter than the South Wind. Given the crookedness of the W&A, it is also likely that the run between Atlanta and Chattanooga had a lot of stay in your seat and hang on distance.
LOL George, "wound pretty tight" is probably a good description. The Dixieland was carded at around 23 hours through those hills whereas the Southern's Royal Palm was carded at around 31hrs between Chi and Jax. I doubt if you could sleep very well. Some good examples. Chattanooga to Atlanta, DL 3hrs, RP 4hrs. Atlanta to JAX, DL 8hrs and RP 9+hrs. Should service ever be restored on either route and since these are the only two viable routes left I would suspect the schedule would be in the 30+hrs range. If you have to wait for all the west coast trains to arrive then you are looking at a two nights out schedule between Chi and Jax with probably late evening departures from each end. The good news about this type of schedule is it would give good times through the major population centers such as Cincinnate, Lexington, Chattanooga and Atlanta via the NS or Evansville, Nashville, Chattanooga and Atlanta via CSX. Of course without Amtrak ordering substantial new equipment this discussion is just for fun. Run properly, the train could be as successful as any other Amtrak LD train and would fill an important missing link in Amtrak's network. But there are so many 'missing links' now days Amtrak would have to develop a whole new attitude toward LD trains to fill these needs and the traveling public would have to be retrained to use rail vs air or highway.

Another reasonable requirement is that all major cities be served at hours between 6 am and midnight.
Reasonable? If we are maintaining one frequency a day on the LD trains, its insane.
I probably would have chosen a different word, like perhaps "impossible", but otherwise I do agree with GML it is simply not possible to do all that you suggest delvyrails with only one run per day in each direction.
Oh, its possible. Anything is possible except for skiing through revolving doors, and don't you forget it. This is even easily possible. You can just have the train sit for many hours waiting for time to pass to make sure that the next city isn't served until after 6- this is done with the Cardinal in Indy for example.

It is, however, insane to attempt this and expect ridership. So I'd say insane is a better word than impossible.

Another issue that will come up in the future is that Positive Train Control requirement. The freight RRs are already calculating the costs associated with this thing, and their respective managements are certain to demand that Amtrak bear its Just and Fair share of the cost of PTC installation and maintenance. The freight RRs may see PTC as a legal "Taking," for which they are entitled to "Just and Fair Compensation."
No way. It was quite clear that this was the job of the freight roads to pay for this.

Another issue that will come up in the future is that Positive Train Control requirement. The freight RRs are already calculating the costs associated with this thing, and their respective managements are certain to demand that Amtrak bear its Just and Fair share of the cost of PTC installation and maintenance. The freight RRs may see PTC as a legal "Taking," for which they are entitled to "Just and Fair Compensation."
Don't all frieght RR's of a certain class of rail and higher have to convert to PTC? So they will have to do this either way.... unless Amtrak wants them to make a higher class for them to operate on, which would require large expenses anyway.

There is no way 6pm chi departure takes two nights to get to Fl. If and thats a big if the they might as well not run it. Even with slow running through the mountains it should not take twi nights.

There is no way 6pm chi departure takes two nights to get to Fl. If and thats a big if the they might as well not run it. Even with slow running through the mountains it should not take twi nights.
The departure time for a two nights service would be more like 11PM from both Chi and Jax. This is assuming that 30+ hours Chi to Jax is the best that could be hoped for. If you left early enough for a one night(before 9am) out you would go through Chatanooga and Atlanta at odd times and arrive in JAX in the early afternoon which would mean a very late arrival in Mia. When the Southern ran the Royal Palm it was exactly that schedule, two nights out with a morning arrival in Jax. They ran the Ponce De Leon on the opposite schedule with a morning departure from Chi one night out and an evening arrival in Jax with another overnight to Mia. With Amtrak only able to run single trains on these long routes you have to arrange the schedule so as to serve the large population centers at something like reasonable times. Currently to go Chi to Jax it's two nights out with a change of trains in DC and takes something like 36 or so hours depending on which silver service train you take from DC. This route would offer a one seat ride and would be slightly faster. But more importantly it would also serve Chattanooga and Atlanta which don't have north-south service or any service currently.

GML wrote:

" You can just have the train sit for many hours waiting for time to pass to make sure that the next city isn't served until after 6- this is done with the

Cardinal in Indy for example."

I aways thought the Cardinal was held in Indianapolis for two hours because of the congestion in Chicago between 8:00am and 10:00am.

Just for the heck of it, here are some schedules from back when. In every case I have shown just the departure times, and thus not the dwell time, at major stops.

Dixieland (former Dixie Flagler) 12/16/54, Every third day, rotating with South Wind and City of Miami as noted previously. they had similar point to point schedules

lv.CHI 9;10 am

Evansville 2.45 pm

Nashville 5.55pm CST

Chattanooga 10.10 EST

Atlanta 1.25 am

Jax 9.45 a.m.

ar Miami 5.05 pm

Georgian,12/16/54 neat overnigter good for business travel

lv CHI 4 p.m.

Evansville 9.40 p.m.

Nashville 1.20am CST

Chattanooga 5;30 a.m EST

ae ATL 8.35 a.m.

Then here is the New Royal Palm, mentioned several times above in my posts, somewhat faster than the regular year round RP. The New RP was winter only, as I have previously noted.

Here it is for 12/16/54. It had cars from Detroit,Buffalo and CLeveland but this discussion concerns Chicago.

lv CHI 10.45 p.m

lv Cincinnati 8.30 ESt

lv Lexington 9.10 CST

lv Chattanooga 4.10 pm EST

lf Atlanta 7.50 pm

lv Macon 10.00 pm

lv JAX 4.25 am

ar Miami 11.25 a.m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just for the heck of it, here are some schedules from back when. In every case I have shown just the departure times, and thus not the dwell time, at major stops.

Then here is the New Royal Palm, mentioned several times above in my posts, somewhat faster than the regular year round RP. The New RP was winter only, as I have previously noted.

Here it is for 12/16/54. It had cars from Detroit,Buffalo and CLeveland but this discussion concerns Chicago.

lv CHI 10.45 p.m

lv Cincinnati 8.30 ESt

lv Lexington 9.10 CST

lf Atlanta 7.50 pm

lv Macon 10.00 pm

lv JAX 4.25 am

ar Miami 11.25 a.m.

Bill the problem with this schedule is getting to JAX so early. And the whole vacation picture has changed since then with the main draw in Florida being Orlando and Disneyworld. The standard daily Royal Palm was a little slower and arrived in JAX around 7am. In 1963 it was on a 32 hour schedule Chi to Jax. South of Jax it would be the same as the silver trains are now so I don't even figure that part. Back in 1956 it was 31hrs. So it did not change very much. On the CSX route via Nashville, George doesn't think they could maintain anything like the former 23-24 hour schedule they had back in the 1950's and 60's. So I would assume that either route would be in the 30+ hours range. So leave the schedule as you have it with around a 7-8am arrival in Jax and you have it. The return would be similar. Leave Jax around 11pm, morning in Atlanta, mid-afternoon in Chattanooga and next morning in Chi. I still think it would be a viable schedule and train if NS or CSX could be talked into running it and on time.

Here it is for 12/16/54. It had cars from Detroit,Buffalo and Cleveland but this discussion concerns Chicago.

lv CHI 10.45 p.m

lv Cincinnati 8.30 ESt

lv Lexington 9.10 CST

lf Atlanta 7.50 pm

lv Macon 10.00 pm

lv JAX 4.25 am

ar Miami 11.25 a.m.

Bill the problem with this schedule is getting to JAX so early. And the whole vacation picture has changed since then with the main draw in Florida being Orlando and Disneyworld. The standard daily Royal Palm was a little slower and arrived in JAX around 7am. In 1963 it was on a 32 hour schedule Chi to Jax. South of Jax it would be the same as the silver trains are now so I don't even figure that part. Back in 1956 it was 31hrs. So it did not change very much. On the CSX route via Nashville, George doesn't think they could maintain anything like the former 23-24 hour schedule they had back in the 1950's and 60's. So I would assume that either route would be in the 30+ hours range. So leave the schedule as you have it with around a 7-8am arrival in Jax and you have it. The return would be similar. Leave Jax around 11pm, morning in Atlanta, mid-afternoon in Chattanooga and next morning in Chi. I still think it would be a viable schedule and train if NS or CSX could be talked into running it and on time.
What about going from CIN to Knoxville to Chattanooga and south. NS tracks south of CIN to Knoxville are in great shape.

GML wrote:" You can just have the train sit for many hours waiting for time to pass to make sure that the next city isn't served until after 6- this is done with the

I aways thought the Cardinal was held in Indianapolis for two hours because of the congestion in Chicago between 8:00am and 10:00am.
No, its to give it reliable leaving times as the Hoosier State.

I think I like the latter schedule the best which puts the train in Atlanta at 7:50 PM. This way, you connect to/from the NB Crescent which can draw people from Alabama and maybe even NOL into Florida. Of course, a connection for the SB Crescent would have to be made on the flip side to get those people home and to get people from Florida out to LA.

The problem however seems to be the fact that it takes almost a full day to go CHI-ATL which is almost double the time Google says it takes by car. By car it's 715 miles so I used that which gives an average speed of around 34mph for the train with that schedule.

If it were possible an AutoTrain running from Chicago to Sanford (Orlando Fl) would be a hit. The old AutoTrain corporation tried running service to Louisville Ky for a while in the late 70's but it was not profitable. I guess that the midwestern snowbirds and Disney vacationers didn't want to drive to Lousiville to catch the train there. I believe there is a market for another Autotrain to serve the mid West but it would need to be based in Chicago or in So. Ill.

I think I like the latter schedule the best which puts the train in Atlanta at 7:50 PM. This way, you connect to/from the NB Crescent which can draw people from Alabama and maybe even NOL into Florida. Of course, a connection for the SB Crescent would have to be made on the flip side to get those people home and to get people from Florida out to LA.The problem however seems to be the fact that it takes almost a full day to go CHI-ATL which is almost double the time Google says it takes by car. By car it's 715 miles so I used that which gives an average speed of around 34mph for the train with that schedule.
Matt, by rail it is 810 miles via Cincinnati and the NS and 731 miles via Nashville and the CSX. That was my guess too, that the train would have an average speed of around 35mph with all the stops and such. When the Southern ran the Royal Palm it's average speed was around 37mph.

For those of us who are convinced of the necessity of routing any Chicago-Florida service via Atlanta, here is the main-stops schedule of the winter-season New Royal Palm. Accordng to "Night Trains" and Wikipedia, NRP operated between 12/15/49 and 4/55. It was a deluxe coach and sleeping car train with Cincinnati as the collecting point for sleepers on New York Central trains from Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland-Buffalo.

Read down---------------Read up

1130pm Chicago 730am

8-830am Cincinnati 1015-1155pm

740-50pm Atlanta 1010-30am

405-25am Jacksonville 130-50am

1135am Miami 630pm

Apparently, the Chicago section was removed from 1953 on, but the others continued.

In the five decades since the heyday of this service, demography and the travel markets are much changed. Atlanta and Orlando are much more important. It is likely that relatively few would travel the full length of run from the major Midwest cities to Miami, but trips like Atlanta-Miami, Atlanta-Tampa, and trips from Chicago connections to intermediate point probably would predominate.

The addition of a Jacksonville-Orlando-Tampa section and use of the Florida East Coast route to Miami once again would allow all-year schedules that are not far off the above New Royal Palm schedules. Services both to Miami and to Tampa could be run with four equipment sets each.

NRP's night-day-night timing much better suits these needs than the day-night-day schedules of the other train on the route, the Ponce de Leon. The latter schedule, if essentially revived, would require train arrival times at Miami after dark much of the year, besides missing the Chicago connections.

If you think that energy and environment will become increasingly critical matters, here is one of several Amtrak network gap fillers which can have an growing transportation role to play.

I traveled the pre Amtrak South Wind and Amtrak South Wind and Floridian frequently for the entire route and various parts of the route in the 1960s and 1970s. The pre Amtrak South Wind was great until about 1968 or 1969. It was fast and mostly ontime. In the winter its was usually about 18 passenger cars including sleepers from Chicago to Miami, Tampa and St. Pete and in winter a sleeper that was cut out or added at Jacksonville. There was a full diner, a full lounge (sometimes a teardrop observation), a 6BR sleeper lounger and coaches to all points. The South Wind ran every other day alternating with the City of Miami. It took two trains to cover the pre Amtrak South Wind, one train was powered by Pennsy locomotives, the other train by Coastline locomatives. In late 1969, the Penn Central withdrew from the through South Wind and ran a train with two coaches and a lounge car from Chicago to Louisville. L&N combined the South Wind with the Pan American between Louisville and Montgomery. A Sleeper and two coaches continued over the SCL from Montgomery to Jacksonville continuing on to Miami in another train. Also in the late 1960s, The Penn Central tracks between Chicago and Louisville became very deteriorated so the PC connection train was frequently late, but the connecting train was held which delayed Pan American passengers as well as South Wind passengers. When Amtrak started May 1, 1971, a daily through South Wind was introduced. It originally left from Central Station following PC's former NYC/Big Four Route to Indianapolis where it switched back to the former PRR route to Louisville, thence the same route as the former South Wind. The PC tracks in Indiana continued to deteriorate so that it was taking 12 hours to travel the 313 miles from Chicago to Lousiville where in the mid 60s the same route had taken only 6 hours and 20 minutes for the South Wind. Much of the track in Indiana became 10 MPH. The Chicago-Florida train was also switched to an overnite run from Chicago to Louisvile portion so the slow running would be at night. At that time the name was changed from South Wind to the Floridian. In early 1975, the train was switched for a few months to a Chicago- Evansville-Nashville route thence the regular South Wind Route. By the spring of 1975, the route was changed again to the former Monon Route between Chicago and Louisville. The 324 mile Monon line had always been slower than the Pennsy route, but in 1975, it was in much better shape than the PC route. The Floridian continued to use the Monon line until it was discontinued in the fall of 1979. The schedule was more reliable after the change to the Monon, but many of the Chicago-Florida passengers had already quit riding based on the horror trips of the first four years on Amtrak. When the Amtrak South Wind/Floridian was using PC between Chicago and Louisville, it wasn't unusual for the train to run 10-12 hours late. I remember arriving at Chicago Union Station on the Floridian at 3AM in the winter with a fairly full train of vacationers from Florida and absolutely no services available with lots of missed connections. The station was locked so those meeting passengers were not allowed in. Fortunately I had a confirmed reservation at a hotel just a few blocks away. There were so many disgruntled passengers and most were saying "never again". Amtrak would have to really come up with super train with excellent service to get people in Chicago and the upper midwest to take the train from Chicago to Florida again.

I think I like the latter schedule the best which puts the train in Atlanta at 7:50 PM. This way, you connect to/from the NB Crescent which can draw people from Alabama and maybe even NOL into Florida. Of course, a connection for the SB Crescent would have to be made on the flip side to get those people home and to get people from Florida out to LA.The problem however seems to be the fact that it takes almost a full day to go CHI-ATL which is almost double the time Google says it takes by car. By car it's 715 miles so I used that which gives an average speed of around 34mph for the train with that schedule.
Matt, by rail it is 810 miles via Cincinnati and the NS and 731 miles via Nashville and the CSX. That was my guess too, that the train would have an average speed of around 35mph with all the stops and such. When the Southern ran the Royal Palm it's average speed was around 37mph.

Just for the record, the Dixie Flagler (later renamed the Dixieland), and the Georgian made the 731 miles fromCHI TO ATL in about 15 hours, factoring the time zone change. That was an average of 48mph. Not bad counting the dead time stopping etc.

I fully undertand that this is not adequate today but this was an era before the interstate highway had gotten of the ground like it is now. There was no I 75 back then. Compare the Flagler and the Georgian with old highway 41 and we railfans would have nothng to be ashamed of..

It is noteworthy that today's Crescent averages about 45 from NYP to NOL.

So many time I have noted that the interstate highway helps the bus as much as it helps the car to be faster than the streamlined train, at least in curvey winding areas. This has been discussed just recently, possibly on this same thread.

Just for the record, the Dixie Flagler (later renamed the Dixieland), and the Georgian made the 731 miles fromCHI TO ATL in about 15 hours, factoring the time zone change. That was an average of 48mph. Not bad counting the dead time stopping etc.
The dead time stopping for these trains was very brief, probably well under an hour when all the arrival/departure time gaps were subtracted.

Twice I rode the night train out of Nashville to change to the Tennessean at Chattanooga, and the jolt of the first trip was at Wartrace. We pulled into the siding, and after a few minutes here came the northbound Georgian running like the back end was on fire. The second time, I was hanging out in the vestibule to watch it. Still a very respectiable train in length, and that was about 1965.

GML wrote:" You can just have the train sit for many hours waiting for time to pass to make sure that the next city isn't served until after 6- this is done with the

No, its to give it reliable leaving times as the Hoosier State.
Indy to Chicago is about the most important and well-patronised city pair on the Cardinal's route (ignoring the East Coast locations it picks up/sets down in); it would be mad for Amtrak to compromise the reasonably-timed departures and arrivals in both directions so that someone from Ashland, Thurmond or Clifton Forge could have a slightly shorter overnight journey into Chicago.

On post 35 I showed a condensed version of the Dixieland(former Dixie Flagler)schedule. Guess just to even it out I should post a City of Miami and South Wind brief schedule also. These were the trains which ran in rotation with the Dixieland, each every third day.(sometimes more in the winter).

I am not offering an opinion of what new service can be run some day with a few miracles, just giving a historical reference If I had it my way, they would all come back!! Atfer all, some of these are the trains I did my "teething" on.

Both schedules September 1957, Departure times shown only

City of Miami

lv CHI 9a.m.

Champaign 10.55

carbondale 1.40 pm(through cars from St Louis received here)

Jackson,TN 5.08

Birmingham 10.40 p.m. CST

Columbus 3.05a.m. EST

albany 5.30

JAX 9.45

Miami 5.15pm

South Wind

lv CHI 8.45 am

Indy 12.30pm

Louisville 3pm

Nashville 6.22

Birmingham 10.17 pm.

Montgomery 12.25 am CST

lv JAX 9.45 a.m. EST

Miami 5.15 pm

There were other, slower, trains besides the ones whose schedules I have listed. I have referred to them in earlier posts.

On post 35 I showed a condensed version of the Dixieland(former Dixie Flagler)schedule. Guess just to even it out I should post a City of Miami and South Wind brief schedule also. These were the trains which ran in rotation with the Dixieland, each every third day.(sometimes more in the winter).
I am not offering an opinion of what new service can be run some day with a few miracles, just giving a historical reference If I had it my way, they would all come back!! Atfer all, some of these are the trains I did my "teething" on.

Both schedules September 1957, Departure times shown only

City of Miami

lv CHI 9a.m.

Champaign 10.55

carbondale 1.40 pm(through cars from St Louis received here)

Jackson,TN 5.08

Birmingham 10.40 p.m. CST

Columbus 3.05a.m. EST

albany 5.30

JAX 9.45

Miami 5.15pm

South Wind

lv CHI 8.45 am

Indy 12.30pm

Louisville 3pm

Nashville 6.22

Birmingham 10.17 pm.

Montgomery 12.25 am CST

lv JAX 9.45 a.m. EST

Miami 5.15 pm

There were other, slower, trains besides the ones whose schedules I have listed. I have referred to them in earlier posts.

The modern day train would have to leave CHI the after 6PM. Which according to some here would mean a two night train with a morning arrival in MIA.

I wander today how much of the Cap ltd. traffic transfers in DC to the Silver trains.

The ironic thing is that extending the CONO to Mia from NOL may actually be the quickest way travel time compared to going through the mountains in KY and TN.

The modern day train would have to leave CHI the after 6PM. Which according to some here would mean a two night train with a morning arrival in MIA.
I wander today how much of the Cap ltd. traffic transfers in DC to the Silver trains.
It would only require that if you judged passengers traveling from out west to be important enough that the amount of passengers received from the west - beyond those destinations that the Amtrak and Metra trains that reach CHI for rush hour serve - would be more passengers than would be put off traveling from CHI by the two-night schedule and the less appealing times serving cities intermediate cities.

If you can fill a train with passengers that want a one-night service from the midwestern cities to the South-East, then that's what you'd do, and to hell with however many long-distance connections you'd manage to attract with a journey that would be a minimum of three nights, the same number of nights as a journey to Florida via DC would require, and an afternoon's layover in CHI.

Plus, the nature of the old schedules posted by Bill Haithcoat have the advantage of either a second schedule to Indianapolis, making rail a more serious proposition for that important city pair, or an improved frequency for Champaign and Carbondale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back