Chicago First Class Lounge - guest allowed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimsinsky

Train Attendant
I will be riding the Hiawatha to Chicago with my disabled brother who will leave in the Capital to DC. Will I be able to wait in the lounge with him to help him make the connection? He does have a sleeper.

I will be riding the Hiawatha to Chicago with my disabled brother who will leave in the Capital to DC. Will I be able to wait in the lounge with him to help him make the connection? He does have a sleeper.
I THINK a sleeper pax is allowed one "guest" in the lounge

The rules listed on the Amtrak website are a little unclear (especially in terms of what rules apply to Club Acela vs. Metropolitan Lounge) but it looks like guests might be permitted in Club Acela lounges but not Metropolitan Lounges. Or maybe I'm just misreading/misunderstanding what I'm seeing on the website.

I got into the ML with another AU member who rode my train in a sleeper (I rode in coach) for the 2013 gathering. I think he got me in just using his sleeper ticket, but he may have used his Select+ card.

I was denied entry into the Metro Lounge in Chicago during the Chicago Gathering even though I arrived on the LSL in a Sleeper because I lost my paper ticket.

When a Select+ AU Member tried to invite me in as a Guest, I was again denied admittance by the Desk Dragon!

As always with Amtrak, YMMV no matter what the Policy actually is!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you ask to assist your disabled brother, they should let you in -- it's a reasonable accomodation under the ADA.

About 15 years ago, I had a sleeper on the Cap, and the gatekeeper allowed my brother, who was living in Chicago at the time, to hang out in the lounge with me before seeing me off.

When I travel with a family member, my Select Plus allows me to bring them into the Club Acela, which is very handy at NYP.

When some friends connected in Chicago, another member and I decided to meet up with them at Union. When we got there, we didn't see them anywhere, so we figured they were in the lounge. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask the desk clerk if we could just pop in to grab our friends and pop right back out.

The doors opened, and we saw the line at the desk was really long. The friend who was with me said, "Come on, I see them." So, we walked in like we had a million times before and walked right over to our friends. We hung out for quite some time before leaving for lunch. Nobody ever asked us for our day passes. ^_^

I'm not saying you should try to sneak in. (I just like telling that story.) I agree that they should allow you to accompany your brother, as he is disabled. ADA aside, it's simply the proper thing to do.

When some friends connected in Chicago, another member and I decided to meet up with them at Union. When we got there, we didn't see them anywhere, so we figured they were in the lounge. I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask the desk clerk if we could just pop in to grab our friends and pop right back out.

The doors opened, and we saw the line at the desk was really long. The friend who was with me said, "Come on, I see them." So, we walked in like we had a million times before and walked right over to our friends. We hung out for quite some time before leaving for lunch. Nobody ever asked us for our day passes. ^_^

I'm not saying you should try to sneak in. (I just like telling that story.) I agree that they should allow you to accompany your brother, as he is disabled. ADA aside, it's simply the proper thing to do.
Is the friend who led you astray a Chicagoan who likes to clown around?

Is the friend who led you astray a Chicagoan who likes to clown around?
The one and only. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back