Chicago Damen Avenue Blue Line Station Has Re-Opened

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George K

Conductor
http://chicagoist.com/2014/12/22/merry_christmas_from_cta_the_damen.php

Some neat pictures:

2014_12_22_Damenblueline2.jpg

2014_12_22_Damenblueline1.jpg

2014_12_22_Damenblueline5.jpg

Washington is second largest in US and most likely North America but they don't even come close either.

Tokyo, Seoul, Moscow, New York, London are in the classes of their own. Maybe Paris too. Per capita, ridership total to me is less relevant.

Last edited by a moderator:
The NYC Subway could renovate stations like that. It would just take longer to get to all of them. In practice, however, NYC renovations just don't look that good, even when they recently rebuilt every station on one of the elevated lines in Brooklyn. Many have questioned why.

I live off the very similiar California stop. CTA did a great job with my station too when they remodeled it this summer.

The NYC Subway could renovate stations like that. It would just take longer to get to all of them. In practice, however, NYC renovations just don't look that good, even when they recently rebuilt every station on one of the elevated lines in Brooklyn. Many have questioned why.
They rebuilt the entire platform, presumably it had something to do with safety.

Yes, Western is the next stop. Though it's a half mile away and connecting buses don't run 24/7, like the L, to this bustling late night entertainment district.

However, typically, CTA has decided to bring stations up to accessible status, when renovated. It is interesting and notable, therefore, that they found a way for this to be an exception.

Given, the small footprint, curving track work, neighboring buildings abutting, and historic nature of the station have all likely contributed to such.

Interesting, I wonder what other agencies use those turnstiles. I thought New York was the only one.
As much as I love the look of turnstiles, I really wish the CTA would switch over to the style of gate they have in Washington D.C.

5d6552414a5790e45c772568c116e43a.png

It's so much easier/faster to get through those, especially when you're carrying bags and/or pulling a suitcase.

It doesn't help that the turnstiles are more narrow at the bottom:

2669766883_5acc45d6ef.jpg

I do use the handicap gate if I'm hauling a ton of stuff, but other people with bags and such create a bottleneck at the turnstiles, especially if it's in a heavy tourist area.

Back