CHI weekend trip...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm planning a possible weekend trip to Chicago from Ann Arbor in a couple weeks (Apr 14-15) to go to a couple Tigers/White Sox games and maybe do a little sightseeing while I'm there. Anyway, given this I have a few questions:

1) Would I be OK taking #351 (Wolverine) to CHI on Saturday for a 3:10 game, or should I come on #355 on Friday to make sure I arrive on time? I know the NS delays make the trip take longer, though when I took #351 last Saturday it got in at 12:30 or so, which would still seem to give me enough time. Also, would I make it back from Sunday's 1:10 game on time to catch #354?(I assume yes, but I don't know how long getting out of the stadium would take right after the game)...

2) What's the best way to take public transit between Union Station and U.S. Cellular Field? Is this recommended, or would it be better to spring for a cab?

3) Where would be a good place/area to stay close to Union Station, the stadium, and transit? If I came on Saturday, I'd check in after the game (and make use of the lockers in CHI until then). In any case, I'd be checking out before Sundays game, rent a locker in CHI to leave things in, and then return to CHI to catch #354.

I figure I may also return to CHI for National Train Day as well, so some of this may be helpful for that as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would plan for an hour to get to the ball park and an hour to get back. To get to sox park exit union station onto Clinton. To get to Clinton you would turn left after getting off your train and walk through a passageway and up some stairs. At the top of the stairs you will Turn right as you pass baggage claim. After baggage claim you will come to an intersection. Turn left through the sliding glass doors. Walk towards the great hall. As you enter the great hall keep to the left, looking for a hallway leading to Clinton street.

Once you reach Clinton, turn left and walk 2 blocks south to the blue line Clinton stop. The entrance is located underneath the expressway bridge. The ride to sox park is 25 minutes.

To come back do the reverse. You should IMHO leave six park no later than 90 minutes before departure.

Hope this helps.

If you really enjoy being at the park early for batting practice, etc, come in the night before. A late train would prevent that from happening.

Actually, I am also looking for a hotel in Chicago convienient to Amtrak pax. Dosen't have to be close, but it has to be accesible by transit from CUS. Been searching for two mounths but still can't find one!

Actually, I am also looking for a hotel in Chicago convienient to Amtrak pax. Dosen't have to be close, but it has to be accesible by transit from CUS. Been searching for two mounths but still can't find one!
How much do you want to spend?

We usually stay at The Hilton Suites or The Drake, both are VERY easy to get to from CUS.

The 151 stops at the Northwest corner of Canal & Jackson near the station and will take you down Michigan Avenue.

You can't take the wrong 151 because it originates and terminates at that stop.

You get off at the Delaware stop - it's approx. a 25 minute ride and a fun one too if you want to do a little sightseeing.

The Drake is one teeny block north - you can't miss it.

The Hilton Suites are one block east on the corner of Delaware and Mies Van Der Rohe.

Depending on when you're going, you can get very good deals at those hotels - we've stayed for as little as $109 and we always book through Hilton.com

The 151 is a great bus to take if you want a much nicer taste and view of Chicago that's not around CUS - being a Chicago native, I find the CUS neighborhood ugly and depressing and certainly no place I would hang out.

The CTA uses Google Maps for transit directions.

Click on 'Get Directions', click on the 'Bus' icon, input your location and where you're going, the date and times, and then click on the big Get Directions button.

Hi,

I'm planning a possible weekend trip to Chicago from Ann Arbor in a couple weeks (Apr 14-15) to go to a couple Tigers/White Sox games and maybe do a little sightseeing while I'm there. Anyway, given this I have a few questions:

1) Would I be OK taking #351 (Wolverine) to CHI on Saturday for a 3:10 game, or should I come on #355 on Friday to make sure I arrive on time? I know the NS delays make the trip take longer, though when I took #351 last Saturday it got in at 12:30 or so, which would still seem to give me enough time. Also, would I make it back from Sunday's 1:10 game on time to catch #354?(I assume yes, but I don't know how long getting out of the stadium would take right after the game)...

2) What's the best way to take public transit between Union Station and U.S. Cellular Field? Is this recommended, or would it be better to spring for a cab?

3) Where would be a good place/area to stay close to Union Station, the stadium, and transit? If I came on Saturday, I'd check in after the game (and make use of the lockers in CHI until then). In any case, I'd be checking out before Sundays game, rent a locker in CHI to leave things in, and then return to CHI to catch #354.

I figure I may also return to CHI for National Train Day as well, so some of this may be helpful for that as well...

Here's a link to Google Maps for multiple choices of transit directions leaving CUS on 4/14 at 1:00PM going to U.S. Cellular Field : CTA CUS to U.S. Cellular Field

Also leaving U.S. Cellular Field on 4/15 at 4:00PM in time to catch #354 at 6:00PM CTA U.S. Cellular Field to CUS

Click on the option you like and beneath that, you'll get a detail of how far you have to walk, etc.

Of course, you can play with the times and dates yourself.

I cannot spend more than $140/night including taxes. I already booked my train tickets so I have to get $140 or lower reliably, not just as a discount or low season prices.

I cannot spend more than $140/night including taxes. I already booked my train tickets so I have to get $140 or lower reliably, not just as a discount or low season prices.
Look at Choice Hotels.

They have 2 reasonably priced, nice hotels on Ohio just east of Michigan Ave.

Of course, the prices will rise as summer nears.

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the Hosteling International in CHI! It's Clean,Safe, Convienant, a Very Nice Place to stay! Its located on Congress about 8 blocks from Union Station,(two Blocks from the Lake , one block East of Michigan Avenue1)reachable by Cab or Bus from Union Station, and is right by the L Tracks!

People of all ages and from all over the World stay there, its about $35 a night Single and now has Private Roomsa Available!Very helpful staff and they have discount tickets for various activities in CHI also! This Price includes Breakfast, and there is a nice Resturant in the Lobby that serves Great Cuban Sandwiches! Google it up, definitely worth while! :wub:

Sort of off-topic, but I thought you might be interested:

The Tigers play the Cubs in a mid-week series during June.

I'm so glad the two teams are meeting in inter-league play. :) BF is a HUGE Cubs fan, and I grew up watching the Tigers, so we always joke that we're fine rooting for both teams since they never play each other.

So much for that. ;)

I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned the Hosteling International in CHI! It's Clean,Safe, Convienant, a Very Nice Place to stay! Its located on Congress about 8 blocks from Union Station,(two Blocks from the Lake , one block East of Michigan Avenue1)reachable by Cab or Bus from Union Station, and is right by the L Tracks!

People of all ages and from all over the World stay there, its about $35 a night Single and now has Private Roomsa Available!Very helpful staff and they have discount tickets for various activities in CHI also! This Price includes Breakfast, and there is a nice Resturant in the Lobby that serves Great Cuban Sandwiches! Google it up, definitely worth while! :wub:
You know, a long time ago you said the same thing!

I would plan for an hour to get to the ball park and an hour to get back. To get to sox park exit union station onto Clinton. To get to Clinton you would turn left after getting off your train and walk through a passageway and up some stairs. At the top of the stairs you will Turn right as you pass baggage claim. After baggage claim you will come to an intersection. Turn left through the sliding glass doors. Walk towards the great hall. As you enter the great hall keep to the left, looking for a hallway leading to Clinton street.

Once you reach Clinton, turn left and walk 2 blocks south to the blue line Clinton stop. The entrance is located underneath the expressway bridge. The ride to sox park is 25 minutes.
You missed the part about riding the Blue Line towards O'Hare, exiting at Jackson and transferring to the Red Line using the pedestrian tunnel. Then take the Red Line towards 95th, exit at 35th.

Thanks for the information. Anyway, if I came on Saturday on 351 and the train was running later than normal (normal being arriving at around 12:30-1 given the Norfolk Southern delays), could I reasonably expect to get a cab to U.S. Cellular Field (and if so, how long would it take/how much would it cost)? I'd probably take public transit if I were there on time, but my train didn't get there until 2pm or so I'd want to get there ASAP.

Last summer I took a cab from U.S. Cellular field back to CUS to catch the Cap Limited home but I can't remember how much it was. I don't recall it being more than $20, but I could be wrong. Of course, we had to swing back by our hotel to grab our bags, too.

Thanks for the information. Anyway, if I came on Saturday on 351 and the train was running later than normal (normal being arriving at around 12:30-1 given the Norfolk Southern delays), could I reasonably expect to get a cab to U.S. Cellular Field (and if so, how long would it take/how much would it cost)? I'd probably take public transit if I were there on time, but my train didn't get there until 2pm or so I'd want to get there ASAP.
It takes approx. 10 minutes to drive to the U.S. Cellular Field from CUS.

This is a great website for finding taxi fares.

This link is for CUS to U.S. Cellular Field, btw, approx. $15.00 - TaxiFareFinder.com

There are more than enough cabs around CUS.

DO NOT respond to anyone near the doors asking if you need a cab.

They're usually just panhandlers who will take you to the door of a cab and expect $, not a situation you want to be in.

Just walk outside and find a cab with a driver - it's easy.

Hi,

Thully,

I'll offer some advice that hasn't been offered yet. As someone who lives in the Loop, I often spring for Metra's intracity services as Metra can be faster and more enjoyable than the CTA 'L'. As a Chicago Loop resident and a Sox fan, I've often taken advantage of Metra's Rock Island District trains to the brand new 'Lou Jones / 35th / Bronzeville' station right at 'the Cell'.

Here's my step by step for a faster, more enjoyable trip to the Sox game:

1. Arrive on Amtrak 351 (Wolverine) for 11:24am arrival.

2. If you get in on time or somewhere on time, walk around the Loop and check out State Street. Or catch the Chicago Watertaxi (connects to Union Station at Madison Street) for a quick trip to Michigan Ave (and back later).

3. Head over to Metra's LaSalle Street Station to catch Metra #215 (Rock Island District) departing at 2:30pm. The Metra LaSalle Street station is 5 blocks, 1/2 mile or a 10 minute walk from the main entrance to Union Station. The Sox stop (Lou Jones / 35th / Bronzeville) is a flag stop, SO MAKE SURE you tell a conductor when you board you want the train to stop there. FYI - from Union Station to LaSalle St Station - head South on Canal after exiting Union Station. Turn left (east) on Jackson Blvd. Turn right on S Financial Place. Financial Place turns into a pedestrian only walkway which leads your right into the LaSalle Street Station.

4. Enjoy the quick, relaxing 7 minute ride.

5. The Metra Bronzeville station is steps from the Cell (US Cellular Field) - you'll arrive at 2:37pm - enough time to get inside the ballpark, buy a dog and a beer and enjoy the game.

6. If you don't mind following the Metra schedule, get back to the Bronzeville station by 5:39 (flag stop, will stop when they see you on inbound platform) to head back to the Loop. Or if you rather go on demand, catch the CTA 'L' red or green line back to the Loop or Fulton River District.

I'd recommend staying in or around the Loop for super easy access to all transit. There are nice hostels and decently priced hotels throughout the Loop.

Either way I highly recommend the Metra Rock Island District to connect to the Cell. It's the only way I go to Sox games now. And its faster and more convenient than the 'L' if you can align yourself to the Metra schedule. Metra fare is $2.75 one way - 50 cents more than the CTA.

Thanks for the tips - I went ahead and booked my train trip, hotel, and game tickets. I went with #355 on Friday night - I would have preferred to only do 1 night in a hotel and come Saturday, but the NS delays on the Michigan Line may make the arrival too close to comfort (it has been after 2pm on multiple occasions in the last week...). As such, I figure #355 is probably best - but I'll look at taking Metra instead of the L to/from the game. I'm staying in the Loop - the La Quinta (very close to Union Station and the L). Seemed reasonable for what I wanted, though I may look at the hostel option for future trips (such as National Train Day when all I'll really be looking for is a bed since I'm arriving late Fri and leaving Sat night, spending most of the time at CUS).

Looking forward to this - been wanting to take a Chicago trip and see some kind of sporting event (preferably a Detroit team away game, as this is) for a while. I've stopped over at CHI quite a few times, but never spent the night. Sorcha: thanks for mentioning the Cubs series - unfortunately its midweek, and I want to save my vacation days for LD trips...

You missed the part about riding the Blue Line towards O'Hare, exiting at Jackson and transferring to the Red Line using the pedestrian tunnel. Then take the Red Line towards 95th, exit at 35th.
Just to make sure there is no confusion, the Blue Line runs a U-shaped route from Ohare Airport Northwest of CUS to the Clinton stop near it and on to Forest Park directly west of CUS. The White Sox place of business is south of CUS, nowhere near the Blue Line.

Coming to this party late, but in case anyone else is interested...just got back from a quick trip on the Wolverine.... allow up to 6 hrs to and from Chicago. It will be slow going from ARB-Kzoo but fast between Kzoo and Michigan City IN.

In terms of hotels... get to know Priceline, Hotwire or whatever similar site appeals to you. If you can spend up to $140, plan to allow no more than $100, and bid for a 4 or 3 star hotel in either North Michigan Avenue or the Loop. Then you have money left over for a cab between the train station and the hotel. May hotels are walkable in nice weather, and if you're not lugging a lot of bags. Don't go out to O'Hare unless you are totally unable to find anything downtown ( a rarity). It's much nicer to exit the train, get in a cab and go straight to your hotel.

:rolleyes:

Thanks for the tips. I ended up changing my hotel reservation - saw a deal on hotels.com for the Allerton Hotel (which is on North Michigan Ave) at $93/night. That was considerably less than I was paying, though it is a bit further from the L than the La Quinta I initially booked. It isn't that far, though - Google Maps says 0.3 mi to the Chicago-Red stop, and it looks like bus #151 from Union Station has a stop pretty much right in front of the hotel. Would a taxi still be advisable, or is this a good way to get to the hotel?

Also, as far as going to the game - looks like the Metra station is a bit further from North Michigan Ave, so I think the L would probably be a better option. How much time do I have to leave in order to make sure I get there in time? It looks like it will be a direct route on the Red Line for me...

Definitely excited about leaving tomorrow - my first time staying in Chicago, and also my first time riding the westbound Wolverine at night...

The 151 will be just fine for traveling from Union Station to Michigan Avenue.

When in Chicago I usually stay at the Holiday Inn, just a block or so from the station, and there's an L stop right there I can get to/from Ohare also. Decent pizza place in the hotel too, not Chi deep dish, but still decent. It's reasonably priced, and for me, very convenient.

When in Chicago I usually stay at the Holiday Inn, just a block or so from the station, and there's an L stop right there I can get to/from Ohare also. Decent pizza place in the hotel too, not Chi deep dish, but still decent. It's reasonably priced, and for me, very convenient.
Holiday Inns are too expensive in the high season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back