CHI to NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan O

Conductor
I understand that one could travel via the Lake Shore Limited, the Capitol Limited via Pennsylvanian in Pittsburgh or the Cardinal. The Cardinal only runs 3X a week and seems to take quite a while. Which route has the least and which has the most amount of tunnels? How long are the tunnels that lead to New York Penn Station?

Thanks.

I understand that one could travel via the Lake Shore Limited, the Capitol Limited via Pennsylvanian in Pittsburgh or the Cardinal. The Cardinal only runs 3X a week and seems to take quite a while. Which route has the least and which has the most amount of tunnels? How long are the tunnels that lead to New York Penn Station?

Thanks.
I couldn't remember too much about the tunnels going into NYP from TRE (wasn't the Pennsylvanian but NER which I would guess follows the same route) or leaving NYP to CHI on the LSL. The Horseshoe Curve is the attraction I remember most on the Pennsylvanian (or Broadway Limited or Three Rivers when I rode it).

As for the EB connection in Pittsburgh, IF you're on time you arrive in an almost empty station around 5am in the morning and have to wait 2 hours for the Pennsylvanian. I don't remember it too much but I can't imagine it would be pleasant and could be unsafe. And the last time I rode the CL they missed the connection to the Pennsylvanian and passengers had to travel by bus from PGH to HAR.

If Amtrak ever gets around to the direct connection between the CL and Pennsylvanian then the CL/P would become more feasible. Otherwise, if you're going to NYP, you're way better off doing the LSL.

The North River tunnels are almost 3 miles lone while the Empire Tunnel is under a mile long. The Riverside Park overbuild on the Empire Connection is a few miles long. Plus there a re more than a few short tunnels on the NYP-ALB route. I think there are three in total.

There is also the NER to CL option, but that woul add to the tunnel count. Sometimes, it prices out very favorably to the LSL, so it was worth mentioning. Much rather hang in WUS mid day than PGH at 5AM

As for the EB connection in Pittsburgh, IF you're on time you arrive in an almost empty station around 5am in the morning and have to wait 2 hours for the Pennsylvanian. I don't remember it too much but I can't imagine it would be pleasant and could be unsafe.
The one time I did it, the Capitol Limited was a few minutes early. The station was surprisingly populated, meaning there were other people and I believe not all of them arrived on the Capitol Limited. The wait was not pleasant, mainly due to the uncomfortable chairs. It did not seem to be unsafe at all, but perhaps I was oblivious, and I did not leave the station area.

I've never heard of anything unsavory happening in Pittsburgh's station. Plus its underneath a pretty swanky apartment building. Its not in a bad part of town.

I connected from the Capitol to the Pennsylvanian this past May. 30 was about an hour late, making the wait in Pittsburgh shorter. It wasn't bad at all and certainly not unsafe. The current station does not win awards, but is not a terrible place. I enjoyed the ride across Pennsylvania, but if I was to do it again, I would just route my trip to go to Washington and then up the Corridor. Less trouble..

I connected from the Capitol to the Pennsylvanian this past May. 30 was about an hour late, making the wait in Pittsburgh shorter. It wasn't bad at all and certainly not unsafe. The current station does not win awards, but is not a terrible place. I enjoyed the ride across Pennsylvania, but if I was to do it again, I would just route my trip to go to Washington and then up the Corridor. Less trouble..
Works for NYP and PHL (and those in between) but doesn't work for anyone between PGH and PHL. And from a scenic perspective, I remember Horseshoe Curve more than any scenery between PGH and WAS on the CL (and I just took the CL last month and don't remember the last time I traveled on Horseshoe Curve). I think the original poster was looking at scenery options (or specifically tunnels). Otherwise, he/she would've booked the LSL already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Consider the CL into Washington & a connection there. With so connections available to NYP you've little chance of being stuck there, unless you're arriving in DC the day before Thanksgiving or something like that.

I love this route because 1) its scenery is far superior to the LSL, especially in the winter when you miss at least of of the Hudson River route in daylight, & 2) the CL has high-level Superliner equipment with a sightseer lounge. Except for the Auto Train, you don't get that advantage otherwise in the East.

I also like the Cardinal better than the LSL, but as you say it does take extra time and doesn't even have a full dining car (although the meals were good by Amtrak standards).

Are you looking to see tunnels or to avoid tunnels?
I would rather see them. My wife would rather not. My guess is she wins but with this info at least we can make an informed decision. Thanks.

We were just in NYC. Drove there and that wasn't too bad. Didn't care for the 5 day drive home though so I thought possibly training it from southern California.

The Lake Shore Limited has the most *interesting* tunnels. The Riverside Drive "overbuild" -- the long tunnel -- isn't really a tunnel; the tracks are at ground level and there are buildings built on top. Exterior light comes in in places, either above or from the side. It's actually kind of fascinating to look at the construction, which varies from section to section

All the other tunnels on that route are very, very short. So I think the LSL might be the best bet for you.

If you are looking to avoid the "closed in feeling" I'll vote with Neroden. Very shortly after the station, the West Side track at least has light coming in. Also, a Viewliner roomette has windows for the upper berth, and a less closed in feeling than the roomette in a SL, so that may prove useful also.

The North River tunnels are almost 3 miles lone while the Empire Tunnel is under a mile long. The Riverside Park overbuild on the Empire Connection is a few miles long. Plus there a re more than a few short tunnels on the NYP-ALB route. I think there are three in total.
Between Peekskill and Manitou; just north of Garrison on #1 track only; Breakneck Ridge north of Cold Spring. That's all I can think of.

The Cardinal route has the most tunnels if you are a tunnel seeker.

As for the EB connection in Pittsburgh, IF you're on time you arrive in an almost empty station around 5am in the morning and have to wait 2 hours for the Pennsylvanian. I don't remember it too much but I can't imagine it would be pleasant and could be unsafe.
We've arrived on the EB CL at least 3 times and had to wait around until dawn to head out on the Great Allegheny Passage. Pleasantness is a matter of opinion; but only someone who has lived a sheltered life would consider the station or area around it unsafe.

I have done the connection several times, and have used the Pittsburgh station otherwise for arriving into Pittsburgh or departing from there by Amtrak. I have never even remotely felt the station area to be unsafe, and walked around that area extensively, specifically walking to or from hotels etc. As for comfort, it is no worse than any typical second tier Amtrak station, and actually considerably better than a few I can think of.

I have done the connection several times, and have used the Pittsburgh station otherwise for arriving into Pittsburgh or departing from there by Amtrak. I have never even remotely felt the station area to be unsafe, and walked around that area extensively, specifically walking to or from hotels etc. As for comfort, it is no worse than any typical second tier Amtrak station, and actually considerably better than a few I can think of.
Ever walked around that area late at night or the middle of the night (5:30am ish?)

Ever walked around that area late at night or the middle of the night (5:30am ish?)
Yep, as several of us have said, the calling times for the Cap in PGH are between Midnight and 5amish, so by necessity we've been there/done that!

Yep, as several of us have said, the calling times for the Cap in PGH are between Midnight and 5amish, so by necessity we've been there/done that!
The only places I want to be between midnight and 5am are either my bed or inside a train sleeping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back