CHI to NYC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done the connection several times, and have used the Pittsburgh station otherwise for arriving into Pittsburgh or departing from there by Amtrak. I have never even remotely felt the station area to be unsafe, and walked around that area extensively, specifically walking to or from hotels etc. As for comfort, it is no worse than any typical second tier Amtrak station, and actually considerably better than a few I can think of.
The only places I want to be between midnight and 5am are either my bed or inside a train sleeping.
Now you're talking! We're in full agreement on this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done the connection several times, and have used the Pittsburgh station otherwise for arriving into Pittsburgh or departing from there by Amtrak. I have never even remotely felt the station area to be unsafe, and walked around that area extensively, specifically walking to or from hotels etc. As for comfort, it is no worse than any typical second tier Amtrak station, and actually considerably better than a few I can think of.
Ever walked around that area late at night or the middle of the night (5:30am ish?)
Yes several times. No problem at all.

5:30 AM is still extremely early for me. I do have to be up at that time if I'm catching the early flight to Chicago for a day trip or catching the Empire Builder eastbound, but otherwise I'm fast asleep at that time.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that most people would prefer not getting off a train at 5:30 AM for a transfer, though, and that most people would see such a time for a transfer as inconvenient at best.

5:30 AM is still extremely early for me. I do have to be up at that time if I'm catching the early flight to Chicago for a day trip or catching the Empire Builder eastbound, but otherwise I'm fast asleep at that time.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that most people would prefer not getting off a train at 5:30 AM for a transfer, though, and that most people would see such a time for a transfer as inconvenient at best.
I agree. I just don't think of 5:30 as being "middle of the night". To me that would be more in the midnight to 4 am time period.

Plus, the sun is up that early sometimes...alas, its not up that early now and won't be again till spring. :(

Ever walked around that area late at night or the middle of the night (5:30am ish?)
Until recently, the closest Zipcar is six blocks away, so yeah I've walked around it at various times between midnight and 5:30 AM. Its a deserted place, except for the Greyhound station across the street from the train station.

There are three opera houses within a few blocks of the station. its not a bad part of town at all.

I have had to wait in PGH several times, generally always felt safe since rarely was by myself, seems there were others waiting as well. The one and only time we had a couple individuals making us concerned, we walked to the hotel across the way, very nice one, that graciously allowed us to sit in their lobby until the sun started to rise.

Note: I don't consider 5:30 AM middle of the night. 5:00 AM is the start of the morning for many of us. I even have a couple men's bible study classes each week that start at 6:00 am (sharp).

The Lake Shore tunnels are not under bodies of water....I suspect that might be the strongest 'phobia' for someone wanting to avoid tunnels.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back