Checking baggage on late train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjaynes288

Train Attendant
I got on the 14 (9/10) in Martinez. Since I knew it the train was sitting motionless south of San Jose for a long time I did not arrive at the station until 1 am. The station agent was very reluctant to check my bag. He informed me in the future I need to check my bag before scheduled departure time. When I arrived in Salem my checked bag was not there. Hopefully it just took an extra trip to PDX. Does Amtrak really require passengers to check luggage before scheduled departure time when the train is obviously going to be hours late?

As was nearly your experience, yes.

Trains can make up time. Just because it's hours late now doesn't mean that it isn't going to be less late when arrival time rolls around.

I believe the actual policy is 45 minutes before departure. Whether it be scheduled departure or a late departure.

As mentioned already, trains do make-up time, especially at larger stops, due to padding in the schedule. When you estimate the arrival/departure time you have to remember to account for any padding.

You do not seem to be understanding me. The station agent did not care about an estimated time of arrival. He felt I should have check my bag before the scheduled time of departure. While I was checking my bag an Amtrak employee announced the 14 had just arrived in Oakland Jack London Square. The train did not arrive in Martinez until 2:44.

The point is you shouldn't be late. It is your responsibility to drop your bags off on time. Company policy dictates a minimum of 2 hours advance drop off. Like it or lump it.

Currently the website says:

• Luggage must be checked 45 minutes prior to scheduled train departure.

Our CLE station usually will check bags up to a half hour before train arrives. When the sliding door closes, it is officially too late. But I am sure at larger and busier stations, the policy of 45 minutes will be more strictly enforced. It is best to get the bags checked in as soon as possible to avoid any problems

After looking at the website, I see that it does say "scheduled departure."

I don't know, here at Spokane, the baggage department accepts checked luggage up until 45 minutes before departure.

When the train is running late then they continue to accept bags well past "scheduled" departure up to 45 minutes before when the train is actually going to depart.

So while the agent may have been technically correct, in my opinion it's pretty poor customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm totally ignorant about this, but I wonder if some stations have the personnel to check in baggage only at or before the scheduled time, and when a train is late, find they have other things to do?

All personnel will be stressed with a late train, and perhaps it helps to have set times for controllable tasks.

Just my thoughts.

They do perform multiple functions. At stl the person worked as a ticket agent when I approach these window to ask about assistance getting to the train for my gf and myself. More for her then me but we were together.

The ticket agent said sure. There was a second agent on duty. He closed up, and took us down on a cart to 22. I saw that this was a lot of extra work for him. I've made sure that we pack more responsibly fir our trips to avoid this extra effort.

I agree on the customer service front. If a train is VERY delayed, and is 15 hours late for a 6:46 am scheduled departure, you must get there before 6 am to check your bags - even though the 1 and only train will not arrive until 10 pm? :huh: Chances are it won't make up 15 hours!

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not seem to be understanding me.
No, I understand you perfectly. The rules says "before scheduled arrival".
Yes, it's the polite thing to do and extend that when the train is late, but you can't count on the train not making up time en route. Show up late at the station and check your bags late at your own risk.

You do not seem to be understanding me.
No, I understand you perfectly. The rules says "before scheduled arrival".
Yes, it's the polite thing to do and extend that when the train is late, but you can't count on the train not making up time en route. Show up late at the station and check your bags late at your own risk.
ryan, i would venture a guess that you live within 5 miles of your amtrak station and that the train you board is generally on time. we live 30 miles from station along the route of the eb. the requirement to check bags 45 minutes before departure makes perfect sense. the requirement to check 45 minutes before scheduled departure is idiotic. do you really think, for say a 5 hour late eb, we should drive that distance to check the bag, turn around, drive home and head in again in a couple hours? yes, it is my responsibility to be at the station when the train departs. i always contact one of the spk agents a times or two to get eta and then give myself some padding added to that. why not just call an idiotic rule by its proper name?

It is apparently a judgment call on the station agent's part whether to go "by the book" and refuse to check all luggage received after the 45 minute period prior to scheduled departure, even though a train is running many hours late. There is no obvious reason why an agent could not check luggage received before the 45 minute actual arrival time. It depends on whether the agent wants to go by the book or offer good customer service. It looks as though the agent at MTZ wanted to go by the book.There may be underlying reasons, such as dedicated personnel to handle/transport train-side all checked luggage at a specific time regardless of the ETA of the subject train. But I doubt this would be the case at a small station like MTZ.

It's interesting that the OP's luggage was lost en route even though it was checked almost 2 hours before #14's arrival time. Maybe he will report back and let us know if it finally made it.

I got my bag this morning. The station agent put it in a cab and it was delivered to my front door. I would never get that kind of service from an airline.

Martinez is a small station. The station agents handle the luggage. The station agent I talked to was probably just tired. The station was supposed to close at 11pm. When the #14 is late the station agents have to work overtime.

Actually, airlines deliver lost/late baggage all the time.

Actually, airlines deliver lost/late baggage all the time.
Yes, in 1999 my luggage (which was lost at Newark and ended up taking my tour to Italy twice) was returned to me five weeks to the day after our return. I was just ready to mail in my claim when someone brought it to my door.

I've had lost luggage delivered by an airline the next day. I thought that was pretty good especially considering I lived 50 miles from the airport and they delivered it at 0 dark 30 so it would be there the next morning. Okay, so they left in on the sidewalk instead of under cover in the middle of a driving rainstorm, but the thought and effort was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back