Check Bags at Different Station than ticket

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But you are correct in that the OP should have a back-up plan. It appears as though others have done this successfully, but as I said earlier in this thread, I suspect it's going to depend largely on the agent on duty.
Agreed, it's really going to come down to the person at the station. And my guess is that if there is to be a problem, its more likely to occur in ALB, not CLE.

Not saying that there will be a problem, just that if any one were to balk at checking the bags, it's more likely to happen in ALB.
Hi Alan, I was able to track down the number to the Albany station and called them. The person I talked to said absolutely no problem. So hopefully whoever is working that day sees it the same way
rolleyes.gif

Thanks
Burt,

Glad to here that!

Again, that is the correct policy. That is what Amtrak should do in all cases. The worry is like I said, that you get someone who doesn't want to be bothered and makes up a new rule that says you have to go where your bag goes.
Message to new Amtrak customers: don't trust Amtrak to follow procedures. Nice.

Hi Alan, I was able to track down the number to the Albany station and called them. The person I talked to said absolutely no problem. So hopefully whoever is working that day sees it the same way
rolleyes.gif

Thanks
Burt,

Glad to here that!

Again, that is the correct policy. That is what Amtrak should do in all cases. The worry is like I said, that you get someone who doesn't want to be bothered and makes up a new rule that says you have to go where your bag goes.
It is unfortunate, but sadly true. :(

rolleyes.gif

Thanks
Burt,

Glad to here that!

And why is that allowed? That is the part I don't get.

I have to speak up for the baggage service in Albany.

A group of 5 of us had just arrived at the station for #49 when a guy in an Amtrak uniform came up and wanted to talk to us. I thought at first he might be a security nut suffering from bicycle derangement syndrome. But he only wanted to suggest we get our bikes boxed and checked as soon as possible. He expeditiously handled the paperwork, took us down stairs to get the boxes, and was in general very pleasant and helpful.

For some reason he offered to take my wife and her almost non-existent luggage down to the train early in the cart. I guess it was sort of like the usual red cap service. I know she had just bicycled in from Buffalo; but I didn't think she looked in that bad of shape. :giggle:

And why is that allowed? That is the part I don't get.
Well it's not allowed. But the supervisor isn't always there 24/7 and no matter how hard one tries too avoid hiring bad apples, there will always be those that slip through or sour over time. And getting rid of them isn't always easy, especially if people don't report problems. One reason that I and others here always tell people to call and report problems. It's not always easy to fix problems, but it is impossible to fix them if you don't know that they even exist.

All - just got back from my round trip to Albany... couldn't have been easier. Went to the Cleveland station the night before, boxed up my bike and checked it to Albany, then picked up the train in Elyria the next morning. I picked up the bike in Albany the next day, and the baggage person was even kind enough to hold the box for me for a few days (no way I could fit it in the car). On the way back yesterday checked the bike to Cleveland, and rode the train to Elyria. Again no problems.

Great first experience on Amtrak. Already thinking of doing the same thing on a future trip to Jacksonville or Tuscon.

I appreciate all the assistance everyone provided.

Burt,

Glad to hear that it went well! And that is how it should go. In fact that agent holding the box for you was above and beyond what one can expect!

I just never want to promise with 100% certainty that everyone always follows the rules all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back