Chase Sapphire Preferred Offer - Should I sign up?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just called the 800 number on y Sapphire because I had a question. The strangest thing happened. A PERSON answered! No automated system. No entering my number. Straight to a very helpful person.

The Sapphire card is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Just received my 40,000 bonus points last week along with loads of other double points for restaurants, hotels, etc. Yes, the Sapphire Card seems to be a really good deal..
How soon did you get the 40k bonus points after spending the required $3k? I am approaching the $3k spending requirement and was just wondering.

I got my 40k points at the end of the billing cycle where $3000 was spent. It was quick.

Same here. At the end of billing cycle it was immediately placed in the Rewards site along with the points for the purchases. Double for restaurants, hotels, rental car.
Thanks for the responses. My billing cycle ends on the 3rd of the month. Not to long from now!!

I recently got a CSP. It's definitely the best travel card out there. I just transferred 2000 point to AGR to put me over the top for a roomette.

The best way to maximize your points is to get a CSP, and a Freedom card. You can earn 5 points per dollar spent on certain categories throughout the year. If you just have the Freedom card, each point is only worth $0.01. If you also get a CSP, however, you can transfer your Freedom points to the CSP, and then transfer those points to various programs. You can really get a ton of points this way.

Question, I got the card using only my info and ssn. I got an extra card for my wife.

Can my wife get her own account and thus also get the bonus points?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

FYI for those considering the CSP: It appears that they have eliminated the 7% annual point bonus for new applicants and replaced it with some other features. The card opening bonus remains the same.

Based on what I've read, the bonus will be eliminated for existing card holders after 2015, i.e., the 2015 bonus, received in 2016, will be the last.

FYI for those considering the CSP: It appears that they have eliminated the 7% annual point bonus for new applicants and replaced it with some other features. The card opening bonus remains the same.

Based on what I've read, the bonus will be eliminated for existing card holders after 2015, i.e., the 2015 bonus, received in 2016, will be the last.
Ah, more fine print to peruse. We shall see whether the annual fee is worth it as time passes. As of now, we are pleased with the points acquired, especially in dining and travel categories. If that changes, we will return to our trusty Amtrak MC.

Ah, more fine print to peruse. We shall see whether the annual fee is worth it as time passes. As of now, we are pleased with the points acquired, especially in dining and travel categories. If that changes, we will return to our trusty Amtrak MC.
For me the annual fee is a minor issue considering how many ways I can use these points at a 1:1 ratio versus being locked into a single loyalty currency. Versatility is the name of the game when it comes to maximizing use and minimizing waste. In exchange for losing the annual bonus the trip cancellation & interruption benefit will be increasing in value from a maximum payout of $5,000 to $10,000 and the rental car collision damage benefit will go from being secondary to primary. Although I enjoyed receiving extra points at the end of the year that rebate was never a make or break aspect for me. I'm still working the CSP/INK/CFR cards for miscellaneous spending. Seems to work well enough for me thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad I got mine when I did. In the future, one the bonus is eliminated, it probably won't be worth keeping. I don't travel much, except for work which I am required to use the corporate card. When I dine out, I usually pay cash because I am either at a cheap fast food joint or I don't trust the waiters to give them my card.

Back