Changes Coming to METRO & THE Map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Technically, it's:

NoMa/Galluadet U

New York Avenue

The New York Avenue subtitle will be there for a year, to get people acclimated, and then it will go away.
With the Phase 1 Silver Line slated to start service in December, 2013 (or early 2014), I would expect that will be the next time the maps and signs will get changed. So I would expect the New York Avenue subtitle to stay around until then. When the Phase 2 Silver Line opens (whenever that happens), we can look forward to being able to take the Metro from NoMa to Innovation Coppermine. After enough time, that will sound perfectly normal. :lol:

Edit: my bad. I voted for Coppermine because I thought it would be unique, but the Fairfax Cty board and staff choose Innovation Center for the Rt. 28 station. Brain freeze on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technically, it's:

NoMa/Galluadet U

New York Avenue

The New York Avenue subtitle will be there for a year, to get people acclimated, and then it will go away.
With the Phase 1 Silver Line slated to start service in December, 2013 (or early 2014), I would expect that will be the next time the maps and signs will get changed. So I would expect the New York Avenue subtitle to stay around until then. When the Phase 2 Silver Line opens (whenever that happens), we can look forward to being able to take the Metro from NoMa to Coppermine. After enough time, that will sound perfectly normal. :lol:
I actually think "Innovation" is the oddest of them all.

"The next station is Innovation. Doors will open on the left. Train to Stadium/Armory."

I actually think "Innovation" is the oddest of them all.

"The next station is Innovation. Doors will open on the left. Train to Stadium/Armory."
I fixed my post. You are right, the Rt. 28 station will be named Innovation Center. For some reason, I had Coppermine stuck in my head as the station name when I was jotting off my post. Both options are odd names initially for the station, but there is no established community name for the location. Rt. 28 would not work very well as the route is some 49 miles long.

So even better, whenever Phase 2 of the Silver Line opens, people will be able to take the Metro from NoMa to Innovation (Center)!

Is the station name "Innovation Center" or just "Innovation?" "Innovation Center" is a reasonable enough name; just "Innovation" would sound bizarre.
Just "Innovation".
No, the station name will be Innovation Center. I think it is a bit silly for a Metro station name, but better than naming it after a local politician or selling the station naming rights to raise a few bucks.

The station names for the Fairfax Count stations on the Silver Line have been voted on and approved by the WMATA board, so they are official. In order from the first station in Tysons Corner/McLean, the names will be:

McLean

Tysons Corner

Greensboro

Spring Hill

Wiehle-Reston East

Reston Town Center

Herndon

Innovation Center

The Dulles Airport station should be easy: Dulles Airport. The fate of the Phase 2 extension into Loudoun County is not yet known, so the defining the official names for the two stations in Loudoun at Rt. 606 and Rt. 772/Ryan Road can wait.

Is the station name "Innovation Center" or just "Innovation?" "Innovation Center" is a reasonable enough name; just "Innovation" would sound bizarre.
Just "Innovation".
No, the station name will be Innovation Center. I think it is a bit silly for a Metro station name, but better than naming it after a local politician or selling the station naming rights to raise a few bucks.
You're right. I went back and checked.

My confusion came from the fact that the Fairfax County Planning Board recommended just "Innovation", but the Board of Supervisors adopted "Innovation Center".

So now there'll be a "Center" station on the far west (Innovation), far east (Largo Town) and north (Medical) sections of the map as well as the....center (Metro) of it, as well as Federal Center SW (side note: I'm surprised they left this one alone; strange station name, considering there's also "Federal Triangle" on the same lines). I'm waiting for proposals to rename Van Dorn Street "[somethingorother] Center" so there's one in every direction.

THIS THREAD IS WELL OVER A YEAR OLD, BUT...

Here is a link to washingtonpost.com that has the latest, if not greatest, version of DC Metro's iconic map, with the soon-to-open portion of the Silver Line included, plus some more 'tweeking.'

Remember, the provision for Metro down the Dulles Access Highway is 50 years old by now. The provision for the Silver Line - Orange Line junction west of East Falls Church is over 40 years old by now. The opening of the first piece of Metro goes back about 36 to 8 years by now. At that time it was thought that the length of the system might not go beyond 25 miles and the ultimate system would be 98 miles with the end of lines beyond Rockville and Addison Road dotted in. However, all end of lines other than at Glenmont were built in such a way that they can easily be extended.

By the way, there is a provision at the south end of the Pentagon Station for a Columbia Pike line junction.

By the way, there is a provision at the south end of the Pentagon Station for a Columbia Pike line junction.
I like looking at those tunnels going into and out of the Pentagon station. I need to put my hand up to block the light to see them. I wonder if people wonder what I'm 'up to.' :unsure:

On a different note, and I almost hate to bring up the "NoMa Station" again, but I have a friend named Mel who moved to that area.

He is now 'Mel of NoMa.' :blink:

:eek:hboy:

THIS THREAD IS WELL OVER A YEAR OLD, BUT...

Here is a link to washingtonpost.com that has the latest, if not greatest, version of DC Metro's iconic map, with the soon-to-open portion of the Silver Line included, plus some more 'tweeking.'
Nothing wrong with resurrecting an old, but appropriate thread. The projected start of revenue service for Phase 1 of the Silver Line is now early 2014 in the business plan presented at the Sept WMATA board meeting. Probably January or early February 2014, but we will have to wait for a formal announcement. The good news in the plan is start of deliveries of the 7000 series cars in 2014 with the 64 cars for SL Phase 1 and the start of replacement of the 1000 and 4000 series cars. The series 1000 cars could be gone in 3 years.

On the new map, it is much improved over the earlier drafts. PlanitMetro has posted the map with a PNG image version * for those who want an image file. BTW, there was a item in a newspaper article that WMATA was planning to have an open house day for the 5 new stations prior to the start of service. No details beyond that.

edit: the PlanItMtetro site has a really big bitmap file, so be careful if you download it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember, the provision for Metro down the Dulles Access Highway is 50 years old by now. The provision for the Silver Line - Orange Line junction west of East Falls Church is over 40 years old by now. The opening of the first piece of Metro goes back about 36 to 8 years by now. At that time it was thought that the length of the system might not go beyond 25 miles and the ultimate system would be 98 miles with the end of lines beyond Rockville and Addison Road dotted in. However, all end of lines other than at Glenmont were built in such a way that they can easily be extended.

Yes, the extension to Dulles has been in the someday plans for a long, long time. No one can accuse the local governments of rushing to build the line out to Dulles. Although I'm sure someone will or has made a "Why are we rushing to build this?" complaint in a public comment meeting. ;)

The stub tunnels for the Columbia Pike extension are mentioned in the Metro 2025 plans, not for extending a line down Columbia Pike because that is dead, but as a storage/turnaround track for short turning trains for weekend track work interruptions. The disruptions from the weekend single tracking and segment shutdowns have made it apparent that the system was built with too few pocket tracks to maintain better service frequencies, so the 2025 plan is to build additional pocket or turnaround tracks in the system in the 2021 to 2025 period. The Columbia Pike stub tunnels provide a place to add one, although I don't know how long the stub tunnels are.

Yes, the extension to Dulles has been in the someday plans for a long, long time. No one can accuse the local governments of rushing to build the line out to Dulles. Although I'm sure someone will or has made a "Why are we rushing to build this?" complaint in a public comment meeting. ;)

The stub tunnels for the Columbia Pike extension are mentioned in the Metro 2025 plans, not for extending a line down Columbia Pike because that is dead, but as a storage/turnaround track for short turning trains for weekend track work interruptions. The disruptions from the weekend single tracking and segment shutdowns have made it apparent that the system was built with too few pocket tracks to maintain better service frequencies, so the 2025 plan is to build additional pocket or turnaround tracks in the system in the 2021 to 2025 period. The Columbia Pike stub tunnels provide a place to add one, although I don't know how long the stub tunnels are.
The stub offs at the south end of the Pentagon are just long enough so that the construction of the cut and cover boxes beyond them can be done without affecting the current operation. Since extending these to add a pocket would be all underground and would require approach tracks long enough to get things to the same level, remember, that the tracks in the Pentagon station are not on the same level, this would be a most expensive pocket track to build.

The stub offs at the south end of the Pentagon are just long enough so that the construction of the cut and cover boxes beyond them can be done without affecting the current operation. Since extending these to add a pocket would be all underground and would require approach tracks long enough to get things to the same level, remember, that the tracks in the Pentagon station are not on the same level, this would be a most expensive pocket track to build.
Yes, extending the 2 stub tunnels to a new single pocket track tunnel would not be a small project, if that is what the WMATA planners are thinking about. I don't know exactly where the stub tunnels are with respect to the surface, but looking at the Pentagon Station area in Google earth with the track route lines shown (or their approximate location), it looks as if the stub tunnels are under the parking lot to the south of the Pentagon? There are no buildings directly to the west, just a massive amount of highway infrastructure. Might be able to build the extended pocket track with all cut and cover, tearing up only a part of a large parking lot in the process.
While not an inexpensive project, would be far less disruptive and less costly than adding a pocket track to the Orange/Blue or Green or Yellow line on the underground tunnels in the city. If there are places where the tunnels are far enough apart to stick a pocket track in-between. But the proposal is to study possible pocket tracks. The result may be that they run the initial cost estimates pass the WMATA board who decide that any new underground pocket tracks are just too expensive for the gain.

From Politico's Morning Transportation report of 9/18/13:

You've probably seen geographically-correct versions of the Metro map that show just how long the Red Line really is (a lot longer than you'd think by looking at the compact and tidy map hanging in trains around the city). But most of those accurate maps used Google or another online mapping service as the base. Reddit.com user Stupidgit has made a map (including the Silver Line) that's geographically accurate AND done in the familiar style of the official Metro map. It really puts things into perspective...
Link to the map here.

Back