Cell Phone Service on Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't be specific about your phone service, but service will probably be sporadic with some dead areas. I have a Verizon phone, and I had a weak signal around Sanderson, Texas in 2002 while westbound on the Sunsetand was able to call the Roadrunner Hostel in Tucson to them I would be five hours late that night. I arrived at 2.a.m., walked several blocks and entered the place with the code he gave me, and slept on the couch.

Should have no problem through Louisiana. There are cell phone towers everywhere. We go from Lafayette to New Orleans frequently, US 90 parallels Sunset route for most of the way.

related question hows it on the LSL and do i have to program my cell to work in a different state.

On the LSL you should be fine as there are is population near the entire route. Your cell phone will work anywhere in the US with out any programing.
Just know that you could be charged extra for roaming, depending on your plan with the cell company.

And yes, overall you'll have cell service on the LSL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back