Cars to be rebuilt

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I quite honestly don't know, except to say that perhaps the crew will have to be more organized. After all the current cars don't have luggage racks in them, so things are just piled on the floor. Pile too high, things tip over. The new cars will have racks to help keep things organized and to utilize more of the vertical space in the car.
Has Amtrak considered retrofitting an existing baggage car with racks in one half of the car, and asking the crew to try to keep all of the baggage in the half of the car with racks to see how well this might work? (For such an experiment, picking a baggage car with a door configuration close to what they're considering for the Viewliners would probably be best.)
They could use a baggage that has two doors on each side, put a barrier halfway and shelving in and say you can only use the front half and the two front doors.

Doubt they will do it, but it would be wise.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I stress that nothing is ever official until it's done, one rumor is that that all trains will get the new bag/dorms and that the Trans/Dorms will be converted to revenue cars.
On the other hand, if the rumor that only half the cars will be bag/dorms and the other half will be bags only, then there won't be enough bag/dorms to do the other rumor. That is unless the split is not quite 50/50.
If it turns out that putting shelves in the baggage half of a bag-dorm car makes a single bag-dorm car sufficient for every long distance route that doesn't split the train, is there any reason at all to build baggage-only cars?

Also, could Amtrak write the contract so that they have the option of whether the last N cars are going to be baggage or baggage-dorm, and don't have to decide until after they've inflicted the first baggage-dorm car on whichever long distance train tends to have the most baggage and found out how well it does or doesn't work?
Well first, let's be clear. There are plenty of rumors that suggest that the entire 75 cars will be bag-dorms. And then there are plenty of rumors that suggest that some portion will be baggage only.

So if the first rumor is correct, then your question is irrelevant. If the second rumor is true, then your question remains relevant. But I don't know the answer. Sorry! :(

As for your second question, I'm sure that Amtrak could request a contract with those terms and conditions. However, they'd have to ensure that the target date for delivery of the first few new cars is shortly before the peak season and then hope that they stay on schedule.

I quite honestly don't know, except to say that perhaps the crew will have to be more organized. After all the current cars don't have luggage racks in them, so things are just piled on the floor. Pile too high, things tip over. The new cars will have racks to help keep things organized and to utilize more of the vertical space in the car.
Has Amtrak considered retrofitting an existing baggage car with racks in one half of the car, and asking the crew to try to keep all of the baggage in the half of the car with racks to see how well this might work? (For such an experiment, picking a baggage car with a door configuration close to what they're considering for the Viewliners would probably be best.)
No clue.

Why do trans-dorms need to be WYEd any ways? If they're reversed, wouldn't there be a diaphragm mismatch?
They don't wye just the Trans/Dorm, they wye the entire train; at least in most cases. The Auto Train never wyes its consist, so the sleepers lead when going north and trail when going south. But on most other Superliner equiped trains, Amtrak wants the sleepers up front. That means that they wye the entire train when it reaches the terminals, be it LAX, EMY, SEA, PDX, CHI, NOL, WAS.

Why do trans-dorms need to be WYEd any ways? If they're reversed, wouldn't there be a diaphragm mismatch?
AFAIK for all LD trains, the entire train is wyed. So I don't understand why this has suddenly become an issue for Bag-Dorms or Trans-Dorms individually.

Transdorms have to be wyed every trip. Are wyes harder to come by on the right coast than the left coast?
Man! The entire train is wyeed. Why are you particularly worried about the Trans-Dorm. It just gets wyed with the rest of the train. No one would take the trouble to pull it out of the consist so that it does not get wyed when the rest of the train does, just to satisfy us worry-warts. ;)

Let us remember for a moment that all cars are going to be built on the Viewliner shell. The Viewliner shell, from its first stages as a Budd-Amtrak design was always designed to be modular.

That means that it is going to be hella easy to simply build a car with its roomette corridor just as in every other car and its baggage area separate in the other half. All the other ideas you people have suggested would involve extensive redesigns and reengineering, at the cost of millions of dollars. No.

The crew rooms will be roomettes, just like the other cars roomettes. They will be the exact same modules. Reduces costs considerably.

They could use a baggage that has two doors on each side, put a barrier halfway and shelving in and say you can only use the front half and the two front doors.

Doubt they will do it, but it would be wise.
There doesn't even need to be a barrier of any sort. Just ask the crew to try it out, and let the crews know that if the crews trying it out don't come up with concrete evidence that using only that half of the car doesn't work or suggestions for cheap/easy improvements, that's what they're going to be stuck with in the future, so it's in their best interests to try to find the problems with it.

I suspect experience will show that the first attempt at an exact shelving/rack configuration will be suboptimal, and building a prototype in an existing baggage car is probably the cheapest way to get an improved design into production. They could even build different prototypes in different baggage cars and figure out which works best.

As for your second question, I'm sure that Amtrak could request a contract with those terms and conditions. However, they'd have to ensure that the target date for delivery of the first few new cars is shortly before the peak season and then hope that they stay on schedule.
How long is the period of time between when the first Viewliner and last Viewliner will likely be delivered?

(And remember that the regular sleepers and diners can probably be put in the middle of the order, with a few bag dorms at the beginning, if there's a question of how to configure the last of the baggage cars that will be delivered. Unless there's concern that the leaving the assembly line for roomette modules idle for a few months in the middle of the Viewliner project is going to have a meaningful impact on total costs. But even then, it might be possible to interleave the regular sleepers with the diners to help the roomette module output become a little closer to constant.)

How long is the period of time between when the first Viewliner and last Viewliner will likely be delivered?

(And remember that the regular sleepers and diners can probably be put in the middle of the order, with a few bag dorms at the beginning, if there's a question of how to configure the last of the baggage cars that will be delivered. Unless there's concern that the leaving the assembly line for roomette modules idle for a few months in the middle of the Viewliner project is going to have a meaningful impact on total costs. But even then, it might be possible to interleave the regular sleepers with the diners to help the roomette module output become a little closer to constant.)
Honestly, the diners are a race item. We could use the extra sleepers and baggage-dorms. But we NEED the diners. If the whole program goes kaput again, we need to have the diners online.

Honestly, the diners are a race item. We could use the extra sleepers and baggage-dorms. But we NEED the diners. If the whole program goes kaput again, we need to have the diners online.
The cars are presumably going to be built at a rate of at least one Viewliner a week, possibly somewhat more. If we ``only'' get two Viewliner Diners rolling off the assembly line a month, is that going to cause a critical shortage?

The crew rooms will be roomettes, just like the other cars roomettes. They will be the exact same modules. Reduces costs considerably.
Do attendant roomettes have two bunks?
The current ones do, and since as GML pointed out, these cars are modular they just slide the pre-fabed rooms right into the car and bolt it down, I'd guess that they'll just leave the extra bunk in the room. It probably wouldn't save very much by eliminating it. In fact, they might even get charged more to have it removed.

I have no idea, since I'm neither holding the contract nor am I versed in how fast a production line can roll cars off.

Do attendant roomettes have two bunks?
The current ones do, and since as GML pointed out, these cars are modular they just slide the pre-fabed rooms right into the car and bolt it down, I'd guess that they'll just leave the extra bunk in the room. It probably wouldn't save very much by eliminating it. In fact, they might even get charged more to have it removed.
It's also important to note that Amtrak employees traveling on the train are also instructed to book a crew-side Transdorm (and soon to be Baggage Dorm) room, and if it's a big group, they sometimes have to double bunk, so there is a use for having the bunk bed, even if it's used on rare occasions.

Rafi

I would be interested to see how it would look. It might be ungainly from the outside -- half with windows and the other half as solid panels.
For the Superliners: What's downstairs right now in the transdorm? More roomettes? I think that the entire downstairs of a dormer could be used for baggage and the entire upstairs could be used for dorms. This would far exceed the necessary space for checked bags. You wouldn't even need a transdorm because you don't have a baggage car any more.
What I recall from the past is the Superliner crew dorms have a small lounge area in the downstairs with a table and seating for crew members while on break or off duty. As for sleeper attendants, I'm with the group that thinks it'd result in worse service if you took car attendants from sleepers, keep them with the paying passengers where they can help with ongoing questions or routine housekeeping.

Transdorms have to be wyed every trip. Are wyes harder to come by on the right coast than the left coast?
Man! The entire train is wyeed. Why are you particularly worried about the Trans-Dorm. It just gets wyed with the rest of the train. No one would take the trouble to pull it out of the consist so that it does not get wyed when the rest of the train does, just to satisfy us worry-warts. ;)

Can someone please explain wyes & wyed? i tried looking it up & not sure if I have right info. Thank you!!!

Just want to follow the train of thought on this thread!

Turn a train around on a triangular shaped track shaped like a "Y".
Here's a link to the wye in DC:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=38....mp;t=h&z=16

Trains leave Union station coming up from the bottom left, go up the track to the left, then go in the opposite direction along the curved track towards the top right, which makes the train fast the opposite direction.

Great! Thank you! When I looked it up, there were 2 definitions; one about electrical wiring; the other was the tracks.

I was confused because the thread is about rebuilding cars, so I thought it could be a wiring issue.

Bringing this thread back from the dead, P40 #816 was at Ivy City this morning, so it looks like shipment #2 to BG is getting put together.
Good to hear! Hopefully #839 will be among them. It wasn't on the list, but there has to be one in place of #807 (listed for refurbishment, but wrecked in 1999). I think it will be #839, because that is the only unit that was in the Auto Train pool that hasn't been either sold or sent to BG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back