Cardinal surprise

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question: Is there any word on whether this will be repeated in the coming days? As frakked as timekeeping has been, I'd pay to jump from the Cap to the Cardinal on this trip if it's got an SSL.

Would be nice to see Superliners return to the Cardinal on a regular basis, but I don't hold out hope of this happening.

Is there any chatter on whether this will be continuing for the next few days? If I had a hard lead on it continuing through Wednesday, I'd dump my reservation from the Cap to the Card in a heartbeat. Between the SSL in the Gorge and the schedule nightmares which would put me in the Gorge during the day...no question there.

How long does it normally take to turnaround a train like the CL? If everything goes as scheduled there's only 2:55 to turn 30 into 29, which is not nearly enough time, right?

How long does it normally take to turnaround a train like the CL? If everything goes as scheduled there's only 2:55 to turn 30 into 29, which is not nearly enough time, right?
If on-time 2:55 isn't bad. It can be done in that time but not likely to be done in that time period.
30 isn't usually turned into 29. The Cap usually uses three sets...Amtrak looked at adjusting the turns, but they couldn't make things work without either pulling 30 too early for safe connections (or, presumably, without dampening 29's utility WAS-PGH and/or WAS-CHI).

Just to follow onto this, but I'm wondering...with the Builder running with six sets and now this, where are they getting the equipment? There's not enough stuff available to reverse-substitute the Cap, for example.

Pushing maintance people hard. A bit of equipment came out of the depression spending bills, this equipment was never add to any set, just gave the maintance people some breathing space.

Tiger equipment.

Coach/Bagged +1

Sleepers +4

Deluxe Sleepers +1

Lounge +4

Coach +2

Dinner +3

Transition Dorm +1

The list is from On-Track-On-Line.

The seven coach cars that Cailfornia pay to rehab not included.

Add number of cars CA rebuild.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a quote from a list I am on from Gene Poon...

The cold weather that has hit the upper Midwest and the East Coast over the past couple of days has caused problems for Amtrak's equipment.

Train 51(5), the Cardinal departing the East Coast on Sunday, will not operate New York-Washington. It will originate in Washington using standby equipment for the Capitol Limited...SUPERLINER equipment. This is due to its normal single-level consist being frozen in New York's Sunnyside Yard.

Train 48(4), Saturday's eastbound Lake Shore Limited, is not going to depart Chicago until 430am. True, it didn't arrive until 8pm, 10 1/2 hours late (it departed New York six hours late due to the Spuyten Duyvil movable bridge getting stuck), but it is estimated that it will take an extra three hours to get the equipment unfrozen and operable.

[SIZE=11pt]This set is already planned to rotate onto a Silver Service train for a trip to Florida, once it gets to New York.[/SIZE]
Gene seems to know his stuff, though I am not sure where he gets it.

He used to be a travel agent and had access to ARROW. Not sure if his access has since been revoked or not. I also believed that he's got a few contacts within Amtrak and in fact has gotten himself in trouble, and maybe one of the contacts, by posting some of the info he does.

I'm waiting at the Culpeper Va station, hoping the conductor will sell me a coach seat to Staunton in spite of sold-out status. Anyone ever had any luck with this?

The cold weather that has hit the upper Midwest and the East Coast over the past couple of days has caused problems for Amtrak's equipment.

Train 51(5), the Cardinal departing the East Coast on Sunday, will not operate New York-Washington. It will originate in Washington using standby equipment for the Capitol Limited...SUPERLINER equipment. This is due to its normal single-level consist being frozen in New York's Sunnyside Yard.

Train 48(4), Saturday's eastbound Lake Shore Limited, is not going to depart Chicago until 430am. True, it didn't arrive until 8pm, 10 1/2 hours late (it departed New York six hours late due to the Spuyten Duyvil movable bridge getting stuck), but it is estimated that it will take an extra three hours to get the equipment unfrozen and operable.

[SIZE=11pt]This set is already planned to rotate onto a Silver Service train for a trip to Florida, once it gets to New York.[/SIZE]
Ok, let's see...if Sunday's WB Cardinal is using Superliner equipment, that should mean that the Tuesday EB set would be using it as well. Does that sound right?

Edit: The "4 bedrooms available" bit is also confirmation. Card usually runs with a single Viewliner (3 bedrooms). They'd have to use a Superliner (with 5 BRs) to have four available. That it says "Viewliner" versus "Superliner" would just be down to the fact that you can't necessarily update Arrow room types that quickly.

Also, in a spectacularly ironic display...it looks like the Cardinal has the best shot at running on-time from CHI.

Just an update: Arrow is not showing capacity constraints on the Cardinal EB on Tuesday. The system would let me book six bedrooms, for example...that is not supposed to happen. I'm actually wondering if they're going to stuff extra equipment onto it; with the Cap and the LSL shot to hell, it may make sense to run a long Cardinal to try and deal with some of the catastrophically delayed folks out of CHI (witness the LSL above).

This isn't as goofy as it sounds. Enough of the traffic on the Cap is through traffic (close to 50% goes to WAS) that you could "easily" divert them to the Cardinal (with bus connections CVS-RVR for those headed further south). The LSL has a large batch that could be run to WAS and then up to NYP (and connected to an Empire train to ALB, for example) as well.

Just an update: Arrow is not showing capacity constraints on the Cardinal EB on Tuesday. The system would let me book six bedrooms, for example...that is not supposed to happen.
Two Superliner sleepers equals 10 bedrooms.

My guess is that means that they're using the Cap's equipment again for Tuesday's run.

Amtrak doesn't have 2 Viewliner sleepers to spare, which is the only way that they could get to 6 bedrooms for sale. And frankly the odds are good that at least 1 or more Bedroom was sold before this cold snap, which would mean that they'd have to add 3 Viewliners to the consist in order to sell 6 Bedrooms.

If you think about it, you really wouldn't even need a full Capitol set to match the capacity the Cardinal normally has. 1 Sleeper, 1 Lounge, and 3 coaches is way above typical capacity. Throwing in a second sleeper gives tons of capacity to the train.

When I was leaving Washington DC this morning on the 11 AM Acela, I noticed them pulling in a Superlight train set onto the lower-level platforms. I thought this was strange, since the capital Limited normally boards from the upper level platforms

Today's Arriving Capitol had no Diner or Lounge, only a Diner Lounge. Sounds perfect for a Cardinal turn!

Ok, further update: Bedrooms seem to be at low bucket on the Cardinal ($380 for a BR for one) while a roomette is at high bucket ($516 for a Roomette for one). Based on my experience on the Silvers, this hints at suddenly having bedrooms to fill at the last minute (since the odds of filling 3-4 BRs in two days is pretty low).

If it weren't so darn cold......

I'm going to pull the trigger on this as soon as I'm on the Chief this afternoon (so my LAX-CHI reservation can't get screwed up). All this really affects is my layovers...worse comes to worse, I change CHI-WAS-RVR to CHI-CVS-RVR.

You guys have no idea how awesome this vacation has been (and I'm not being sarcastic in the least). I got an overnight trip from LA to Sacramento on the Starlight. I'm getting the Cardinal with Superliners. This is awesome beyond belief.

I'm going to pull the trigger on this as soon as I'm on the Chief this afternoon (so my LAX-CHI reservation can't get screwed up). All this really affects is my layovers...worse comes to worse, I change CHI-WAS-RVR to CHI-CVS-RVR.

You guys have no idea how awesome this vacation has been (and I'm not being sarcastic in the least). I got an overnight trip from LA to Sacramento on the Starlight. I'm getting the Cardinal with Superliners. This is awesome beyond belief.
Cliff: Sounds like your Trip has turned into a Great Adventure! IINM the Superliner Consist running on the Card has a CCC in lieu of a Diner and No Sightseer Lounge, but the Views of the New River Gorge should be Awesome with No Leaves on the Trees! Look Forward to your Trip Report!!! Stay Warm on the Train and Be Ready for Slow Orders Heading East!!!

51(5) was seen as having: 1, 136, bag, dorm, sleeper, sleeper, Diner, LOUNGE, coach, coach, coach.

Wow! I wonder when the last time 51 had a longer consist than 29 was!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back