Cardinal 50 Jan 26 seems to have super liner rooms on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paull65

Train Attendant
I was looking on Amtrak web site for Cardinal prices.. I saw that it lists Family bedroom and super liner roomettes on the site between Chicago and Washington. They are not available but they are listed. This Cardinal 50 appears to terminate in Washington because it is listed as cancelled if you ask for Chicago to New York. Since the Capitol Limited for Jan 26 is terminating in Pittsburgh, I guess that they may be putting a superliner bedroom car that is already fully booked between Chicago and Washington on the Cardinal. Just a guess...

I am paying attention to the Cardinal because I just booked it for the 30th.

Unless it is a trans dorm car, i am guessing you wouldn't be able to move from car to car while en-route? Or is my limited experience keeping me from understanding?

Just after I posted, l thought that it would have to be a trans dorm car if they actually had people booked in the rooms. If it was a superliner bedroom car just going along for the ride, why would they show the sold out rooms on the inventory? Just attach it to the train and let it be a surprise to anyone that sees it.

Once in a while, the Cardinal utilizes Superliner equipment between Chicago and Washington due to operational or equipment requirements. †he weekend snowstorms along the east coast may have resulted in this oddity. The whole train would be Superliner equipped,not just the sleeper. A Superliner equipped Cardinal would originate/terminate in Washington, since Superliners cannot operate along the Northeast Corridor.

Okay, help me out here, but usually when the Cardinal is a Superliner consist, it is because the Capitol Ltd needs a consist ferried from either Chicago to Washington or vice versa. Didn't the Capitol Ltd operate westbound from WAS to PIT at the outset of this storm, but not return? If so, they are down at least one consist in Washington, and perhaps this is why the shift is made.

I'm seeing the same thing - the cars are marked "not available", but are listed. Superliner bedroom, roomette, and Family bedroom.

FWIW, and I think this point was already made that the whole train is a Superliner, but I don't think the TransDorm has bedrooms and family bedrooms - only roomettes.

It is also possible that since 51 was canceled during the storm there is a lack of single level equipment in Chicago for the return of 50 today.

Just looked few seconds ago and viewliner roomettes are available and superliner roomettes and family bedrooms are sold out. So, if true, the train must not be all superliner. Strange...

I just heard from a very reliable inside source that it will be a four car Superliner train. So, it isn't what I thought - a ferry ride of the 29/30 consist. Fun chance to ride them if you want. I imagine it will be 1 sleeper, 1 CCC, 2 coaches. Just a guess.

It is actually five Superliners. It has a transdorm as well. I hope it has a good run so the connecting passengers don't have to wait too long.

I got to do a trip like this a few years ago. Basically, the Superliners handle the weather a bit better than the Viewliners do...so when the Cap got cancelled during the infamous freeze-up I remember taking said train (though it also had a full-service diner for the run).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back