Car hits Amtrak train in upstate New York

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
she failed to stop for the westbound passenger train and hit the second Amtrak engine, according to deputies
Do Empire Service trains travel with two locomotives very often?

As best as I can tell, it might have been Empire Service #261, due into SYR @ 3:53 pm. Reports say it happened 40 miles east about 3 pm.
I think you meant to write #281. Which according to the archives at Amtrak Status Maps, #281 (1/27) departed Rome NY 7 minutes late, but departed Syracuse 1 hour and 38 minutes late. Going to be an unusual report by the driver's insurance company agent: ran INTO the side of a train locomotive, not hit by one.

Actually, the day before the P42 assigned to 64 failed in Canada. So 64 came with a VIA P42 upto NFL and then it was replaced by the protect P42 in NFL. This train was taking the substitute for the NFL protect that came to ALB on 64. That is why it had two P42s.

Actually, the day before the P42 assigned to 64 failed in Canada. So 64 came with a VIA P42 upto NFL and then it was replaced by the protect P42 in NFL. This train was taking the substitute for the NFL protect that came to ALB on 64. That is why it had two P42s.
Talk about luck! If the P42 in Canada didn't fail, she would have run headlong into a passenger car instead of an unoccupied locomotive.

It's actually not as unusual as you'd think, in 2011, the last full year of data avalible, trains were struck by vehicles once for every four vehicles they hit.
Not too long ago a guy hit the side of a freight train, I think near the Bear Shops. I believe he was charged with DUI which probably explains why he didn't see the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to be an unusual report by the driver's insurance company agent: ran INTO the side of a train locomotive, not hit by one.
It's actually not as unusual as you'd think, in 2011, the last full year of data avalible, trains were struck by vehicles once for every four vehicles they hit.

http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/OfficeofSafety/publicsite/Query/gxrtab.aspx
What's even more amazing is that apparently 7 people walked into/crashed into trains. 2 were killed, 4 were injured and one is unaccounted for or just walked away from that traumatic experience! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back