Capitol Ltd and Lake Shore in Major Service Disruptions?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Railroad Bill

Buckeye Train Watcher
AU Supporting Member
Just checked status on 30, 29, 49 and 48 and there seems to be a major disruption of service somewhere around Cleveland. 29 and 49 running several hours late and there was no report for 30 or 48 after Elyria. Anyone know what the problem was/is?? :(

Just checked status on 30, 29, 49 and 48 and there seems to be a major disruption of service somewhere around Cleveland. 29 and 49 running several hours late and there was no report for 30 or 48 after Elyria. Anyone know what the problem was/is?? :(
Say what? 48 departed Cleveland 22 mins late and Buffalo Depew just 6 mins late, Syracuse 15 mins late and expected into Utica on time today, So it is not disrupted.

Something has indeed happened to 30, which probably is the root cause of delays to 29 and 49 too.

The construction is Sunday-Thursday ( impacts Chicago origins Saturday-Wednesday).

I was on Train 30 from Chicago to Pittsburgh, originating Nov 17. We were on time until just past Elyria, and came to a complete stop for 3 hours. We were told that a freight train ahead of us broke down. We finally moved about 3:30 am into Cleveland. About 5:30 am in transit to PGH, our sleeping car attendant came on the public address and announced that the train would be annulled at Pittsburgh, allowing those transfering to the Pennsylvanian in PGH to do so, and those destined for Connelsville, PA and Cumberland, MD to remain on the train. Those for Martinsburg, Harpers Ferry, Rockville, and Washington, DC would be bussed from PGH due to construction. The Amtrak staff did a great job managing the situation, the dining car staff came through the sleepers serving French Toast, sausages, and rolls. Baggage was handled, and everyone got moved.

You know I'm glad they started at least giving sleeper passengers breakfast. One time I was bustituted on #30.. about 6 years ago, they roused us in Pittsburgh, told us anyone connecting in DC HAD to be get on the bus, no choices, NO arguments. This was the end on of a 10 day circle trip for my son and I was counting on Breakfast on the and possibly lunch. I had about $5 cash on me and not much more on the credit card. We were placed on the bus which took us to Breezewood, PA where we stopped for lunch.. on our own dime. Since I only had $5, my son ate.. I sat and watched. We got to DC in plenty of time to catch a connecting train to Richmond, Of course that train itself was 3+ hours late.. never mind there were two later trains we could we could have switched to had we needed... so we shouldn't have been forced off #30... however what REALLY chessed me off was we looked up and here comes #30.. about 90 minutes late but still plenty of time to made the connection even if it had of been on time... so Amtrak jipped me out of a free (prepaid) breakfast AND lunch and forcefully roused us out of bed and said we had to pack up and get off in 20 minutes... boy did. Management get an earful from me on that one. The apology letter and voucher were nice, but it still should never have happened the way it did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back