Capitol Limited Tracking

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
#29 (17)

WAS: 3 minutes late

PGH: 40 minutes late

CHI: 3:11 late

#30 (17)

CHI: 1:23 late

PGH: 2:37 late (arrived); 2:56 late (departed)

WAS: 4:25 late

Guess the blame game shifts to NS this week.

<_<

Two of the boys and I are going to be on the CL from Chi-DC in March. I guess I don't care how late it is into DC since there is always a way to get to Phil. But on the way home, if it is too late, and I miss my connection to the SWC, that would be bad. We are scheduled to get off at Hutchinson, KS at 4:00 AM on Sunday morning, drive home to Pratt and be in the pulpit by 8:30 AM.

#29 has not fared quite so badly, compared to #30.

So far this month, we've only seen one run go over five hours late into CHI.

FWIW, #29 just arrived in PGH, 30 minutes off the time card, and is boarding even as I type. This from the Amtrak website.

As for #30, it is running at least 3:32 late, having departed CHI 2:16 late. My guess is that #30 was held for another late train. Anyone with better info, feel free to chime in.

UPDATE: As of this morning, #30 was 5:05 late out of PGH, while #29 was about 1:05 late. I'll give a full update when I get back from work tonight.

Midland Valley said:
Two of the boys and I are going to be on the CL from Chi-DC in March. I guess I don't care how late it is into DC since there is always a way to get to Phil. But on the way home, if it is too late, and I miss my connection to the SWC, that would be bad. We are scheduled to get off at Hutchinson, KS at 4:00 AM on Sunday morning, drive home to Pratt and be in the pulpit by 8:30 AM.
If you're going to Philly, you might want to consider connecting in Pittsburgh with the Pennsylvanian, and riding around Horseshoe Curve.

Then again, considering how late #30's been running lately, maybe not. Just another option for you to think about.

#29 (18)

WAS: OT

PGH: 30 minutes late (OT by DOT criteria, methinks)

CHI: 2:12 late

#30 (18)

CHI: 2:16 late

PGH: 4:55 late (arrived); 5:05 late (departed)

WAS: 5:53 late

Whatever CSX did in the last week, goofed up NS, apparently.

If it's not one, it's the other.

As of this post, #29 (19) was running 24 minutes late out of PGH; #30 (19) was running 20 minutes late out of TOL. OT, by our DOT standards!

#29 (19)

PGH: 15 minutes late (OT by DOT criteria, methinks)

CHI: 1:18 late

#30 (19)

CHI: 16 minutes late

PGH: 1:41 late (arrived); 1:59 late (departed)

WAS: 2:21 late

NS is the bad guy today. ;)

As of posting time, #29 (20) is 2:08 late running into PGH; #30 (20) is 2:09 late. Conspiracy theorists, start your engines...

#29 (20)

PGH: 1:47 late (arrived); 1:56 late (departed)

CHI: 2:25 late

#30 (20)

CHI: 2:05 late

PGH: 2:40 late (arrived); 2:49 late (departed)

WAS: 3:07 late

One of these two is the one that hit the pedestrian. Hard to tell from OTP.

They seem to have a problem getting #30 out of Chicago on time. I realize that with a 5:35 PM departure they may be waiting for connecting trains from the west.

However, as I last understood, #30 does not use the equipment of the same day's #4 anymore; rather an arriving #4 sits in Chicago for a day undergoing maintenance and it becomes the next day's #30.

Also, leaving an hour and a half to two hours late or so puts #30 in the same departure slots as other trains like the Lake Shore, Cardinal/Hoosier State, and City of New Orleans. That makes things take longer because the people in Chicago are incapable of loading more than one train at a single time.

So what is going on?

Sam Damon said:
Midland Valley said:
Two of the boys and I are going to be on the CL from Chi-DC in March.  I guess I don't care how late it is into DC since there is always a way to get to Phil.  But on the way home, if it is too late, and I miss my connection to the SWC, that would be bad.  We are scheduled to get off at Hutchinson, KS at 4:00 AM on Sunday morning, drive home to Pratt and be in the pulpit by 8:30 AM.
If you're going to Philly, you might want to consider connecting in Pittsburgh with the Pennsylvanian, and riding around Horseshoe Curve.

Then again, considering how late #30's been running lately, maybe not. Just another option for you to think about.
Horseshoe Curve is pretty awsome. That would be good for the boys to experience but isn't the connection at Pittsburg in the wee hours of the morning?

Sorry for the delay folks; trying to enjoy some summer on a couple weekdays off, as I'm working this weekend. And thank you, AmtrakFan, for jumping in to update this thread.

#29 (22)

PGH: 37 minutes late (arrived); 42 minutes late (departed)

CHI: 1:07 late

#30 (22)

CHI: 27 minutes late

PGH: 1:22 late (arrived); 1:39 late (departed)

WAS: 2:01 late

#29 (23)

WAS: 11 minutes late (OT by DOT criteria?)

PGH: 57 minutes late (arrived); 55 minutes late (departed)

CHI: 1:00 late

#30 (23)

CHI: OT

PGH: 1:08 late (arrived); 1:17 minutes late (departed)

WAS: 2:01 late

Midland Valley said:
Horseshoe Curve is pretty awsome.  That would be good for the boys to experience but isn't the connection at Pittsburg in the wee hours of the morning?
That depends on how well NS dispatching is working that night. :rolleyes:

Actually, The Pennsylvanian is the only train that goes over Horseshoe Curve these days, now that I think about it. The passage is in daylight year-round, which is a plus.

To answer your question, yes the connection from the Capitol is about 4:00a, if #30 is running OT. However, Penn Station in Pittsburgh is safe as long as you stay within the station complex. The waiting room is adequate, Amtrak staff are present, and there generally are fifty or so people connecting on a given night. You can even explore the outsides of the private varnish that are stored there. Just don't make a nuisance of yourself with the staff.

For a real adventure, call a cab and have breakfast over at Ritter's Diner in Shadyside. Pittsburgh's Strip District is open at that time, and all the produce for the Pittsburgh region tends to go through there. The last drunks from the trendy nightclubs should be out of there by the time #30 arrives, but be aware of your surroundings, even though Pittsburgh is a fairly safe big city. Not sure of the restaurant situation in the Strip, though; haven't been there at that hour lately. Primanti's closes about 4:00a, which doesn't help you if you're connecting from #30. The last time I used to hang out there (about a dozen or so years ago), the restaurants did not open until 6:00a. Don't try to walk; public transit at that hour is just getting started. Take a cab (Yellow or People's), and you should be fine.

Of course, should NS dispatching put a freight in front of #30, the connection is comparatively short.

I'd say that all of downtown Pittsburgh is quite safe. It's pretty dead until the commute starts, however.

I would not go to Ritter's as a tourist. The Strip District is pretty unexciting if you're not trying to shop or eat. That early in the morning, it's mostly going to be wholesalers; if you need a gallon of tomato sauce for your trip, stop by Penn Mac.

There's plenty of interesting architecture in downtown, if you want to do a self-guided walking tour. You can see locations where they filmed scenes for Dogma and Inspector Gadget. Station Square is across the river (wouldn't suggest a walk).

If it were me, I'd probably just try to catch a nap.

#29 (24)

WAS: 47 minutes late

PGH: 1:07 minutes late (arrived); 1:12 late (departed)

CHI: 1:34 late

#30 (24)

CHI: 8 minutes late

PGH: 35 minutes late (arrived); 56 minutes late (departed)

WAS: 2:46 late

What happened to #30 in Pittsburgh? Did NS get impatient and run a freight in front of them?

sechs said:
What happened to #30 in Pittsburgh?  Did NS get impatient and run a freight in front of them?
Any number of things could have happened. There could have been a delay loading or unloading baggage or passengers. A carman might have tried to fix something. Unfortunately, I'm not plugged in like some folks are. Anyone with better info, please chime in.

While I'm at it, #29 (25) just departed Pittsburgh at 12:02a; that's 17 minutes off the timecard.

#30 (25) left Toledo at 11:47p, 1:02 late.

#29 (25)

PGH: 17 minutes late (arrived & departed)

CHI: 1:03 late

#30 (25)

CHI: 4 minutes late

PGH: 1:12 late (arrived); 1:23 late (departed)

WAS: 1:41 late

#29 (26)

WAS: 3 minutes late

PGH: 5 minutes early (arrived) & 21 minutes late (departed)

CHI: 1:00 late

#30 (26)

CHI: 55 minutes late

PGH: 1:23 late (arrived); 1:34 late (departed)

WAS: 1:39 late

NS appears to be the villian these past couple days.

#29 (27)

PGH: 2 minutes late (arrived) & (departed)

CHI: 33 minutes late

#30 (27)

PGH: 1:57 late (arrived); 2:02 late (departed)

WAS: 1:50 late

Again, NS is the not-so-good guy for these runs.

#29 (28)

PGH: 20 minutes late (arrived) & (departed)

CHI: 52 minutes late

#30 (28)

PGH: 27 minutes early (arrived); OT (departed)

WAS: 39 minutes late

Science fiction writers should rejoice they don't have to compete with Amtrak's timetable writers.

Sam Damon said:
#30 (24)
CHI: 8 minutes late

PGH: 35 minutes late (arrived); 56 minutes late (departed)

WAS: 2:46 late
How is it they continue to lose time at the stations? Don't they have a green light to proceed? Or is it just smaller stations where they drag em on and off and head on trying to make up time?

#29 (29)

PGH: 27 minutes late (arrived) & 31 minutes late (departed)

CHI: 10 minutes late (OT by DOT criteria)

#30 (29)

CHI: 6 minutes late

PGH: 25 minutes late (arrived); 39 minutes late (departed)

WAS: 1:21 late

CSXT strikes on this run...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back