Capitol Limited Dining

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daybeers

Conductor
Has anyone been on the Capitol Limited recently? Does it have a Cross Country Cafe or a regular dining car nowadays? Upsides/downsides to this? I'm going from WAS to CHI in June.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless things have changed it operates with a Cross Country Cafe Car.

The dining car portion serves the full dining Car menu. The Cafe is operated out of the window with standard cafe menu. (The SSL car is unstaffed). There is only one LSA that handles the money for the dining car and the lounge car. The diner is staffed with 2 servers, and one chef.

Unless things have changed it operates with a Cross Country Cafe Car.

The dining car portion serves the full dining Car menu. The Cafe is operated out of the window with standard cafe menu. (The SSL car is unstaffed). There is only one LSA that handles the money for the dining car and the lounge car. The diner is staffed with 2 servers, and one chef.
So would you say this is better or worse than the regular diner? Does the CCC still have those weird U-shaped seats?

Service and menu are the exact same. And it keeps bossy LSA's busy with the cafe. Win for me!

The CCC cars have all standard diner booths now. I actually kinda liked the U-shaped booths. They were quite common in pre-Amtrak diner and lounges.

I've seen it into Toledo on tons of occasions into Toledo (29 and 30) (and ridden quite a few times) in the last year, it's been a Cross Country Cafe. Especially lately. It seems it will stay that way. It never really gets full, either.

I've made sure to check every time I see the Capitol Limited for the diner type. I really hope they put a full diner back on because honestly, it's pointless for the CCC. They never clean the tables on the cafe side or the crew take it over so everyone has to sit in the lounge and eat their cafe items anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen it into Toledo on tons of occasions into Toledo (29 and 30) (and ridden quite a few times) in the last year, it's been a Cross Country Cafe. Especially lately. It seems it will stay that way. It never really gets full, either.

I've made sure to check every time I see the Capitol Limited for the diner type. I really hope they put a full diner back on because honestly, it's pointless for the CCC. They never clean the tables on the cafe side or the crew take it over so everyone has to sit in the lounge and eat their cafe items anyways.
Yeah, well at least it's not the U-shaped booths that didn't really work logistically. It is silly that the crew takes over the lounge section. If there was a regular diner, where would they hang out?

Service and menu are the exact same. And it keeps bossy LSA's busy with the cafe. Win for me!

The CCC cars have all standard diner booths now. I actually kinda liked the U-shaped booths. They were quite common in pre-Amtrak diner and lounges.
I'm glad the service is the same. That's what I was worried about.

For me, the Capitol makes the most sense of all the changes. It eliminates an LSA position, potentially eliminates some stocking fees (not sure if commisary charges per car?), and doesn't eliminate anything service wise for the passengers.

Yeah, well at least it's not the U-shaped booths that didn't really work logistically. It is silly that the crew takes over the lounge section. If there was a regular diner, where would they hang out?

I'm glad the service is the same. That's what I was worried about.
It's a bit better when the crew sat at one table in the Sightseer lounge, but in return there were even more tables in the downstairs cafe of the SSL.

Also, if they're not using the tables in the CCC cafe portion, they don't clean them that way people aren't inclined to sit there.

I like it when they run the cafe in the lower level of the SSL, that way there is eating tables downstairs and upstairs the tables are reserved for people with laptops, games, and other entertainment/talking places.

Actually they should use the Cafe for all the people with laptops; games and other entertainment - and let the people who enjoy sightseeing stay upstairs - which was always the intended purpose.

Actually they should use the Cafe for all the people with laptops; games and other entertainment - and let the people who enjoy sightseeing stay upstairs - which was always the intended purpose.
However - they do have tables upstairs, which are for people who want to look outside while enjoying a game of cards or solitaire, or playing a board game with kids while the parents are looking outside.

Or they could reserve the entire SSL car as a "judgement free" zone and let people enjoy the car as they see fit.

I'm doing CHI-WAS-NYP then NYP-WAS-CHI from June 2-6 so I'm curious as well. Seems like it could go either way. I wonder if the SSL not having the cafe downstairs makes it less lively or if it doesn't make a difference at all in how people use it.

I'm doing CHI-WAS-NYP then NYP-WAS-CHI from June 2-6 so I'm curious as well. Seems like it could go either way. I wonder if the SSL not having the cafe downstairs makes it less lively or if it doesn't make a difference at all in how people use it.
They put a trashcan in the stairwell of the SSL when they don't have the cafe down there.

They put a trashcan in the stairwell of the SSL when they don't have the cafe down there.
I think the OP was asking about the SSL car in general. In my experiences, the car is used the same either way.

I've also seen Conductors take over the lower level SSL as their "office" which is actually pretty ideal. Better than taking up space in the lounge or diner.

Playing cards and watching the scenery. Seems like mutually exclusive activities....especially if it's a game like Hearts where you have to keep track of the cards already played. :)

It appears that some people are of the opinion that one is not allowed to socialize in the Lounge unless one wants to watch scenery? Seems strange.... specially since so many swear that the food eating experience in the Dining Car is essential in order to get to socialize with strangers. Of course it is possible two different groups have these two apparently conflicting ideas. :D

We rode #29 from CHI-WAS last week as part of an 11-day cross-country rail trip. The food service on the Capitol with the Cross Country Cafe was about the worst of anywhere. First, since we live near Chicago, we arrived at Union Station shortly before boarding. Dinner reservations are taken in the Metropolitan Lounge. So, folks arriving from earlier trains get "dibs" vs. if you show up at 5:30pm because you're starting your trip in Chicago. Our options were 8:30pm, 9:00pm, or dinner in our room. We went for 8:30pm as I wanted to eat in the diner -- it's part of a train trip. We didn't hear anything over the PA and finally went up to the dining car around 8:55pm. There was one LSA cleaning tables, waiting on people, and taking orders, etc. She said she was "running behind" and to "have a seat in the lounge portion" until she could get things moved along. Other folks also cued up in the lounge part of the CCC or went back to their rooms. 10:00pm rolled around and I had enough and was tired -- I went back to the room. My wife wanted dinner still and said she was seated at 10:10pm. She didn't get back to the room until after 11:00pm. Not cool. They need a real diner on this train if they are going to try and accommodate 2 full sleepers and also 1 transition sleeper where revenue rooms are sold. A CCC might work fine on the Texas Eagle or City of New Orleans where there is one full sleeper -- but keep it off trains with 2.5 sleepers. You can't feed everyone in a timely manner using basically half a regular dining car. The LSA told my wife she was going to be "even more swamped" in the morning and we should consider getting a "to go" breakfast brought by our attendant. We didn't listen and showed up for a full sit-down breakfast in the CCC around 7:30am and there were no problems getting a seat. Not sure why dinner was such a big cluster.

They need a real diner on this train if they are going to try and accommodate 2 full sleepers and also 1 transition sleeper where revenue rooms are sold. A CCC might work fine on the Texas Eagle or City of New Orleans where there is one full sleeper -- but keep it off trains with 2.5 sleepers.
A "CCC Car" vs. "A Real Diner" has absolutely nothing to do with this. Either type of physical car can be used in a variety of ways depending on the staffing. When the "CCC" car is used as a regular diner, it works just as well as a regular diner.

The bigger issue is.. why was their only one staff member on the diner? Is the lounge LSA back in the SSL now?

When I rode the Capitol there were 2 servers in the diner, and one LSA that handled the lounge and diner cash. That seemed to work quite well, at least with that staff. If the Capitol has been reduced to one server / LSA... that's not a good sign.

There was one server in the dining half of car -- she was cleaning tables, seating people, taking orders, serving food, taking money, etc.

Occasionally someone who was dressed in a cook's outfit (checkered pants and white shirt) would come up and help her out by bringing meals to people's tables. He was mostly downstairs though. I am not sure if he was the only one downstairs or if there was someone else down there with him too who never came up.

We watched this go on from about 8:55pm to 10:00pm when I gave up on our "8:30pm reservation".

The "lounge LSA" was in the lounge half of the car serving people upstairs. She was swamped too and never helped out on the dining side of the car. Not sure if she was supposed to or not, but she was just doing the lounge side of things.

There was a SSL lounge on the car -- but the bottom level was blocked by trash cans and signs that said "Crew Members Only Beyond This Point".

I agree something about the dining situation on the capitol is amiss. Last year i took the train out of chicago in coach and soon after we left the station i went to the dining car. They said their was no room and only would offer something to go. As far as i can tell no one from coach was able to sit in the diner and eat and this train was not all that busy. I don't see anywhere on my ticket that says the dining car is only available to sleeping car passengers. I did take the to go order and ate by myself in the lounge but i thought it was a shame to not have the opportunity to use the dining car.

There was one server in the dining half of car -- she was cleaning tables, seating people, taking orders, serving food, taking money, etc.

Occasionally someone who was dressed in a cook's outfit (checkered pants and white shirt) would come up and help her out by bringing meals to people's tables. He was mostly downstairs though. I am not sure if he was the only one downstairs or if there was someone else down there with him too who never came up.

We watched this go on from about 8:55pm to 10:00pm when I gave up on our "8:30pm reservation".

The "lounge LSA" was in the lounge half of the car serving people upstairs. She was swamped too and never helped out on the dining side of the car. Not sure if she was supposed to or not, but she was just doing the lounge side of things.

There was a SSL lounge on the car -- but the bottom level was blocked by trash cans and signs that said "Crew Members Only Beyond This Point".
If the cook was coming up to help serve, I'm wondering if the train was short a server for some reason. When i rode the Capitol last October I had a fantastic diner crew. Was 2 servers only. Service was very fast.

My understanding is the "Lounge LSA" is the only LSA on the train now. They handle the diner money in addition to the lounge car duties.

I agree something about the dining situation on the capitol is amiss. Last year i took the train out of chicago in coach and soon after we left the station i went to the dining car. They said their was no room and only would offer something to go. As far as i can tell no one from coach was able to sit in the diner and eat and this train was not all that busy. I don't see anywhere on my ticket that says the dining car is only available to sleeping car passengers. I did take the to go order and ate by myself in the lounge but i thought it was a shame to not have the opportunity to use the dining car.
Last August on #30 out of Chicago, the diner was a real zoo. Our 7:30 or so dinner res wasn't called until after 9! In part due to staffing and also the time change shortly after departing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back