Can you change routes during a trip?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkeye

Train Attendant
Just curious: I've booked a trip w/a sleeper using AGR. Let's say I'm taking the CZ to Chicago and am ticketed on the LSL into NYP (final destination NJ). If I arrive in time to make the CL and there is a bedroom available, can I switch to this train mid-trip?

The reason I ask is because I would get into Newark earlier on the NEC from DC is the CL gets into DC on time than I would taking NJT from Penn Station (and that's if the LSL is on time). If the LSL is late, I might not get to NJ until 10 pm or later.

I realize there are several "what ifs" in this scenario, but I was just curious if it's even possible to switch routes mid-trip without incurring extra cost. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just curious: I've booked a trip w/a sleeper using AGR. Let's say I'm taking the CZ to Chicago and am ticketed on the LSL into NYP (final destination NJ). If I arrive in time to make the CL and there is a bedroom available, can I switch to this train mid-trip?

The reason I ask is because I would get into Newark earlier on the NEC from DC is the CL gets into DC on time than I would taking NJT from Penn Station (and that's if the LSL is on time). If the LSL is late, I might not get to NJ until 10 pm or later.

I realize there are several "what ifs" in this scenario, but I was just curious if it's even possible to switch routes mid-trip without incurring extra cost. Thanks!
Assuming that a bedroom is available, I think the answer is probably yes since CZ-CL is a valid connection and is the same number of zones as your original booking (so the cost isn't any different).

That being said I'd be surprised if there were any rooms available on the CL the day of travel. It's become a pretty popular train and I've noticed fares rise accordingly. Personally I'd book the CL over the LSL eastbound anyway for the following reasons:

• You get dinner aboard the CL out of Chicago
  • The Sightseer Lounge is superior to the Amfleet cafe lounge
  • The trip along the Potomac is much more interesting than crossing New York
  • You're more likely to reach NY/NJ at a reasonable hour

Let me expand on the last: the Lake Shore Limited is supposed to hit NYP around 6:30. With the CL, you're booked on a connecting Northeast Regional which also gets you to NYP around 6:30. However, in the latter case you have a couple hour layover in Washington acting as a buffer.

I don't believe so, once the trip begins - unless Amtrak changes it. I would call AGR!
excl.gif

Ive been fortunate enough to change my Trains in CHI Three Times on AGR Award Trips when Late Western Trains (TE/CZ/EB)caused me to miss the Card and Cap in CHI!But I called into AGR from the Train and was lucky to snag a Room on the Lake Shore, not always an easy thing to do!, and of course the Customer Service Agents in CHI are Swamped when this happens and also they don't want to deal with an AGR Ticket if they can help it! (They can't if AGR is still open!) As has been said, its getting harder and harder to Snag Rooms on the Cap and Card, think Id cosider using the Lake Shore when I booked since Ive been on all these Trains many times and there's nothing wrong with the ride through NY and down the Hudson into the City! At the current rate of OTP and Ridership, of the Western Trains, this will continue to be Real Problem for Us and for Amtrak!! :help:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back