Can You Buy Two Seats For Yourself?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The word "two" appears a LOT in the blue book.

Anyhow, here's what it has to say:

A passenger who requires two seats due to a

disability, including obesity caused by a disability,

a leg in a cast, a hip operation, may book two

seats and pay only one fare.

d) A passenger who requires two seats due to size

alone, not caused by a disability, may book two

seats but must pay the lowest applicable fare for

both seats.

e) A passenger cannot book two seats simply

because they do not want anyone sitting next to

them. If the train is full, it is very hard to explain

to standing passengers why that empty seat cannot

be used.
Short version: Need two seats because of disability? One fare, but you get two seats. Need two seats because of your weight? You can have two seats, but you'll have to pay for them both. Skinny and antisocial? Tough. You'll sit in one seat and you'll like it. :)
Ryan, can you tell us what section this is from so I know where to find it in the future? Thank you so much. I feel like it can help all of us to become educated about actual amtrak policies rather than just blindly speculating on them.

How does Amtrak regulate if someone is obese because of a disability? That is an interesting statement.

Could be interesting if you get asked to show I.D. for that false name!

I don't really understand why anyone would need to have so much work related stuff open at one time to need two seats... it is a TRAIN, not a mobile office desk!

Folk should just try to get on with their fellow passengers, IMHO, being sociable is partly what trains are all about... I don't see the point in wanting an isolated ride if you are a train fan?

Ed :cool:

The word "two" appears a LOT in the blue book.

Anyhow, here's what it has to say:

A passenger who requires two seats due to a

disability, including obesity caused by a disability,

a leg in a cast, a hip operation, may book two

seats and pay only one fare.

d) A passenger who requires two seats due to size

alone, not caused by a disability, may book two

seats but must pay the lowest applicable fare for

both seats.

e) A passenger cannot book two seats simply

because they do not want anyone sitting next to

them. If the train is full, it is very hard to explain

to standing passengers why that empty seat cannot

be used.
Short version: Need two seats because of disability? One fare, but you get two seats. Need two seats because of your weight? You can have two seats, but you'll have to pay for them both. Skinny and antisocial? Tough. You'll sit in one seat and you'll like it. :)
Wow great cite to chapter and verse!

Almost all airlines require a passenger to buy two seats if they are unable to lower their armrests and sufficiently buckle and fasten their seat belts. The seats generally range from 17 to 19 inches wide. Amtrak seats are generally 21 to 23 inches wide.

My opinion? If someone cannot fit into a large (compared to airline) seat without infringing on his/her seatmate, they should buy two seats. No matter the reason. The seatmate has paid for a full seat and has a right to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
About two years ago, I was travelling from Wash to Atl on the Crescent. Sometime around midnight, the attendant was consolidating the coach passengers into one car but there was an older woman on the front seat of our car who refused to allow someone to sit with her. She got very agitated and covered herself completely (head and feet) with a blanket so the attendant couldn't even see her. They argued for some time. Then the conductor came and attempted to make her move into just one seat to no avail. Finally he just told her to get her stuff and move to the next car or he would personally put her off the train at the next stop. She did get up and move but the attendant had to help her carry all her stuff to the next car. She just kept saying she could not have someone sitting beside her. After she left and things began to settle down, my seatmate got up to walk around and quickly came back to get his jacket and laptop. He said that woman was sitting in the next car alone so he was moving to that car, too so he could have more room to spread out over two seats. Several folks followed him so in an hour or so we were again spread over two cars. It was a real interesting evening but the point is...... if you don't want to share your seat just refuse and cover yourself with a blanket. Then perhaps you can have a whole car to yourself.

;)

About two years ago, I was travelling from Wash to Atl on the Crescent. Sometime around midnight, the attendant was consolidating the coach passengers into one car but there was an older woman on the front seat of our car who refused to allow someone to sit with her. She got very agitated and covered herself completely (head and feet) with a blanket so the attendant couldn't even see her. They argued for some time. Then the conductor came and attempted to make her move into just one seat to no avail. Finally he just told her to get her stuff and move to the next car or he would personally put her off the train at the next stop. She did get up and move but the attendant had to help her carry all her stuff to the next car. She just kept saying she could not have someone sitting beside her. After she left and things began to settle down, my seatmate got up to walk around and quickly came back to get his jacket and laptop. He said that woman was sitting in the next car alone so he was moving to that car, too so he could have more room to spread out over two seats. Several folks followed him so in an hour or so we were again spread over two cars. It was a real interesting evening but the point is...... if you don't want to share your seat just refuse and cover yourself with a blanket. Then perhaps you can have a whole car to yourself.

;)
Your story reminds me of my very first Amtrak trip. About 35 years ago, my then wife and I decided to try Amtrak from DAL to SAS. When we boarded in Dal, we were directed to a nearly full coach car that had no two seats together. We asked the attendant what to do and were told the old "You get two seats, not necessarily two seats together"......so we just walked off the train, stopped the conductor and told him to get our checked bag off the train and we would fly to SAS. He asked, why? We told him what the attendant told us and he said something like "that guy is an a**hole" and put the two of us in an empty coach car, which ended up about half full after adding pax in the subsequent stops. We enjoyed the ride immensely, and I was hooked forever.

Had we not spoken to that one conductor, I would likely be among those who rail (pun intended) against Amtrak.

How does Amtrak regulate if someone is obese because of a disability? That is an interesting statement.
If you request two seats for the price of one due to a disability then you must show proof of the disability. As you do anytime you ask for a discount because of a disability.

If you request two seats for the price of one due to a disability then you must show proof of the disability. As you do anytime you ask for a discount because of a disability.
The American with Disabilities Act prohibits organizations for asking or even looking at Doctors notes or such. And also remember, not just talking about the topic in this subject, but not all disabilities are easy to see either.

Bruce-SSR

The American with Disabilities Act prohibits organizations for asking or even looking at Doctors notes or such. And also remember, not just talking about the topic in this subject, but not all disabilities are easy to see either.

Bruce-SSR

If you are asking for a financial savings because of a disability then you must show proof of the disability and and ADA does not prohibit asking for proof in this circumstance.

I have witnessed single passengers boarding the CZ with tickets for two seats several times. The conductor or coach attendant simply put up two hat checks -- each marked for one person -- and I never saw anyone attempt to seat another person next to the person who purchased the two seats. Then again, it it had come down to there being just that one seat left on the train for coach passengers, I'm certain that the conductor would have then forced the issue (at which point I would also assume that the person could apply for a refund of the second coach seat fare that they had purchased.)

I have witnessed single passengers boarding the CZ with tickets for two seats several times. The conductor or coach attendant simply put up two hat checks -- each marked for one person -- and I never saw anyone attempt to seat another person next to the person who purchased the two seats. Then again, it it had come down to there being just that one seat left on the train for coach passengers, I'm certain that the conductor would have then forced the issue (at which point I would also assume that the person could apply for a refund of the second coach seat fare that they had purchased.)
That sounds fair, but according to what was posted before, it is against Amtrak rules.

Megabus charges extra for more than one bag per pax, and tell you on their site, if you want extra bags, you must buy extra tix. I suppose you could use the extra tix for seats together?????

That sounds fair, but according to what was posted before, it is against Amtrak rules.

Megabus charges extra for more than one bag per pax, and tell you on their site, if you want extra bags, you must buy extra tix. I suppose you could use the extra tix for seats together?????
If you can find them, yes. I have told bus drivers before that I've purchased two tickets in order to have two seats together, and when they check all the seats to make sure people aren't hogging seats they respect my two tickets and let me hog the two seats.

We're going to take a brief break to get this thread back to some semblance of its original topic.

Ok, we're back after a bit of time to clean the thread and give everyone some cooling-off time. I'd ask that we try to, if not stay on topic, at least avoid horridly off-topic fights.

I travel with a cello for business. I always have to buy an extra seat next to me on the plane. No way around it.

I've never had to travel with a cello on Amtrak before, but I imagine that it's basically the same. If I buy two tickets(same price), I should be able to put the cello in the seat next to me. The conductor should just scan both tickets. There is no way that I will allow the cello to be place in the overhead or anywhere else. Actually, the insurance company that underwrites the half-million-dollar policy will probably not allow me.(or cancel my policy if they find out)

As for getting a room... only if it's a room without any sort of plumbing(toilet or shower). Otherwise, I'll stay in the coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back