Can I ask them to extend reservations on hold?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

des1rees

Train Attendant
So, I have placed on hold 2 roomettes for our travel in Sep. Now waiting for the miles to get posted to AGR from CO One Pass. They said it could take up to 10 days to happen. I made the reservation on the 7th and they will hold it till the 14th.

Couple of questions -

I did not make the reservations saying I am going to use AGR for them ( did not know at that moment I could). Do I need to call them back and let them know or can I just wait and mention it to them once the points are posted and I call to confirm?

Secondly, if the points dont get posted by next Monday, then I will call and ask them to extend the hold. Can they do that? And for how long?

Thanks,

D.

So, I have placed on hold 2 roomettes for our travel in Sep. Now waiting for the miles to get posted to AGR from CO One Pass. They said it could take up to 10 days to happen. I made the reservation on the 7th and they will hold it till the 14th.
Couple of questions -

I did not make the reservations saying I am going to use AGR for them ( did not know at that moment I could). Do I need to call them back and let them know or can I just wait and mention it to them once the points are posted and I call to confirm?

Secondly, if the points dont get posted by next Monday, then I will call and ask them to extend the hold. Can they do that? And for how long?
First off, a transfer from CO to AGR almost always (99.9999% of the time) goes through on Sunday evening. As long as you make the request by Friday, the points will be in your AGR account on Monday morning! (Even if Monday is a holiday like Labor Day or Christmas, the points will be in your AGR account on Monday!)

But MOST IMPORTANTLY, you MUST call and reserve an AGR award by calling AGR - NOT AMTRAK! AGR is contracted out to another company to run. and are separate from Amtrak. They do offer the same thing, but they are not the same company.

If you want to pay by cash or credit card, Amtrak can help you but AGR can not. If you want to use AGR points, AGR can help you but Amtrak can not.

It's kind of like you want to stay in ____, but you stay at Marriott. But there is a Hilton right next door (100 feet away). They both sell hotel rooms, but you can not use your Hilton Honors points at Marriott!

You may have to first cancel your reservations, and then rebook them with AGR. BUT ASK AGR FIRST! IT MAY BE THAT YOUR ROOM(S) ARE THE LAST ONES AVAILABLE - AND MAY BE SOLD BY THE TIME THE AGR RESERVATIONS ARE MADE! (The good thing about AGR awards is that - unlike airlines - the award cost is the same no matter if it's the first room sold or the last room on the train! If there's a room, it's yours - and for the same award level! B) I just made an award where I got the last rooms on 2 separate trains - for the same amount as anyone else! B))

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for that important information. I did not know that. I called them, and currently I dont have enough points in my AGR, so they said to wait until the points transfer and then call them, and they will be able to use the points to get the rooms.

D

They may be able to convert your Amtrak reservation into an AGR reservation, but I'm not sure. Give AGR your Amtrak reservation number when your points post, and see what they can do. :)

They may be able to convert your Amtrak reservation into an AGR reservation, but I'm not sure. Give AGR your Amtrak reservation number when your points post, and see what they can do. :)
Thanks. Will do so.

D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back