California Zephyr still running three sleepers after Labor Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several recent distracted (talking with neighbors, "rassilin" with Moxie - a neighbor's Golden who has yet to learn "enuf") sightings of 5 and 6 I've had appeared to have only four Superliners forward of the Lounge. That would suggest "we're now down to two".
I guess you better not be so distracted since you can verify on Railstreams the MH Cam in Chicago that the California Zephyr 5 and 6 continue to operate FIVE Superliners forward of the Sightseer Lounge which are the transition sleeper, three full sleepers, and the dining car. I check this most everyday and through today 9/30/2018, the departing #5 is operating a transition sleeper, three full sleepers, dining car, sightseer lounge and only two coaches. Sleepers are still forward and the two coaches are the last to cars on the train.

I just noticed on the MH Cam in Chicago, that the #5(10/5/2018) departing Zephyr had a transition dorm and only two full sleepers(down from three) followed by dining car, sightseer lounge and only two coaches. This may be the first day of that change this season. Incidentally, this is the same consist that the SWC is running also. Interestingly, on another topic I read that the Empire Builder is down to its shorter Winter consist as of this week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Day number 2 for the reduced consist for the California Zephyr #5. The 5(10/6/2018) just departed with a transition sleeper and only two full sleepers so I'm declaring the three full sleeper Zephyr for 2018 is over. Hopefully, that means my trip in late October will be less crowded especially in the dining car.

Back