California Zephyr still running three sleepers after Labor Day

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes and yes on the cabin for 1. The cabin for 1 is a traditional Roomette. I chose to travel in a cabin for 1 when I rode the Canadian and I would highly recommend it. A 4 or 5 day trip would be a bit long to not have a private room to relax in if so desired.

I think the quality of VIA rail bedding itself is the same section vs. roomette. I think the section bed is a bit wider. The via Roomette is by far the most comfortable train bed I've been on, and that includes some nice heritage cars like Ed Ellis's Adirondack Club.

I ended up cancelling rather than ride in roomettes 9 or 10 or 18 in the transition sleeper and got a full refund.
What's wrong with roomettes 9 or 10?
They're over the trucks and by the end door which can have lots of traffic if next to the Diner or another Sleeper.(Sleepers can be hooked up either way in the consist).
If you're on the end of the consist, you'll have the rail fan window available to you.

Personally, I find the ends of the cars are usually more quiet since people tend to talk and chat around the coffee pot / stairs and the bathroom door opening and closing is louder than the sliding doors on the end of the cars.

Some of it is luck of the draw of course.

Provided im not totally forgotten about (it's happened) I usually love my trips in the Transdorm as through traffic is very low and many times there aren't many other passengers in the car.

....Provided im not totally forgotten about (it's happened) I usually love my trips in the Transdorm as through traffic is very low and many times there aren't many other passengers in the car.
I agree. And also, on some routes there is a bathroom with a shower stall in the Transdorm that is a very nice perk. I was actually made aware of that by my SCA when traveling in the adjacent sleeper. I have trouble with balance and its smaller size (compared to the downstairs shower), makes it better option when I travel in a roomette rather than a bedroom (which works best for me).

....Provided im not totally forgotten about (it's happened) I usually love my trips in the Transdorm as through traffic is very low and many times there aren't many other passengers in the car.
I agree. And also, on some routes there is a bathroom with a shower stall in the Transdorm that is a very nice perk. I was actually made aware of that by my SCA when traveling in the adjacent sleeper. I have trouble with balance and its smaller size (compared to the downstairs shower), makes it better option when I travel in a roomette rather than a bedroom (which works best for me).
I've also heard that since the crew use the trans-dorm, there's often hot coffee all day, which is quite nice.

Still, are they so bad that it's worth cancelling the whole trip?
For me, yes, since I had another trip on the Zephyr scheduled for February. The cancelled trip was a trip from Chicago to Reno and return. I simply cancelled the hotel reservation and basically saved the cost of that trip to use on later trips. I usually ride the Zephyr about three times a year so it was not a big deal to me to cancel.

This is true, but the Park Car and Dome cars have outlets on the Lower Level.

Also keep in mind that a Lower Berth is worth the price difference over an Upper because of the Window and ease of access.( an Upper has lots more room than a Superliner Upper "Coffin" and you don't have to use the ladder for the Lower bunk.)

Another important fact is the Very Limited storage space, you will have to check any large bags( no access for the 5 Day trip!), there's really only room for a pack or a small carry on with your essentials.
I rode in a Skyline dome, and it also had outlets in the dome itself.

Another advantage of the Lower Berth, is that you have the right to the forward facing seat during the day when the berth's are put away.

And speaking of that...that is the advantage of a Roomette for 1....you can use or stow the bed whenever you wish....IIRC, they have set times for when the berth's are in service, I believe from 10 PM to 6 AM, but I'm not sure of that.

The Roomette bed is a little narrower than the lower berth, but it is more like a 'murphy-bed'...one solid bed, rather than multiple cushions coming together to form a berth....

When I rode with an upper berth on the Canadian in 2014, the attendent set up my berth while I was at dinner and put the berth while I was at breakfast each day between Vancouver and Toronto. Worked for me.

If I can be cynical, then what if they're stealing sleeper cars from the SWC to depress its ridership, this giving them more evidence to be able to mess with the SWC?

If I can be cynical, then what if they're stealing sleeper cars from the SWC to depress its ridership, this giving them more evidence to be able to mess with the SWC?
The SWC has been running two sleeper cars plus the transition dorm sleeper for several years now and had not reduced the number so you can be cynical but at the same time inaccurate. Incidentally, the SWC is still running three coach cars between Chicago and Kansas City and two Kansas City to Los Angeles. The Zephyr is running just two coaches the full distance between Chicago and Emeryville. On a couple occasions they have ran three coaches on the Zephyr in September but the standard is just two coaches.

For reasons I've never figured out, the CZ tends to be heavier on sleeper ridership and lighter on coach ridership; the EB and SWC are heavier on coach ridership and lighter on sleeper ridership. The CS is heavy on both. The TE/SL are light on both.

Observed #6(24) with four Superliners ahead of the Diner and two behind the Lounge. Wasn't close enough for a better view.

My personal observations from multiple rides on the western trains - the zephyr seems to attract more tourist / train riders than the other western trains. More couples from Europe, more families, and more american travelers who "wanted to take the train through the Rockies." The zephyr also hits several major tourist areas, San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Denver, Chicago. So that could be a reason for the need of more sleepers. That's just a guess on my part.

Observed #6(24) with four Superliners ahead of the Diner and two behind the Lounge. Wasn't close enough for a better view.
So that would have had 1 Trans-Dorm, three sleepers, and two coaches? I thought coaches usually outnumber the sleepers...
Yes. You can see them at 4:34.

And in case anyone likes more details, the full consist is:

Amtrak 78 GE P42DC

Amtrak 11 GE P42DC

61018 baggage car

39016 transition dormitory car

32003 Edward L. Ullman sleeping car

32064 sleeping car

32027 sleeping car

38016 dining car

33033 sightseer lounge

34075 coach

31015 baggage-coach

I believe this is the first year the California Zephyr has maintained the transition dorm and three full sleepers after Labor Day. In all previous years they have eventually reduce to the transition dorm and only two full sleepers and two coaches. This year has been a year of change in that the sleepers were moved to the front of the consist in January and then not moved back to the rear of the consist for the summer season. Maybe this is one of the Anderson changes.

I believe this is the first year the California Zephyr has maintained the transition dorm and three full sleepers after Labor Day. In all previous years they have eventually reduce to the transition dorm and only two full sleepers and two coaches. This year has been a year of change in that the sleepers were moved to the front of the consist in January and then not moved back to the rear of the consist for the summer season. Maybe this is one of the Anderson changes.
I would be very surprised if Anderson micro-manages such things as the consist order...but then again, on Delta, first class is always in front....
default_smile.png

I would be very surprised if Anderson micro-manages such things as the consist order...but then again, on Delta, first class is always in front....
default_smile.png
Yeah, I was going to say. The CEO doesn't have nearly enough time (or interest) to decide the nitty gritty details like that.

No but Anderson would notice the better financial numbers of having more higher yielding passengers than lower paying coach passengers.

Several recent distracted (talking with neighbors, "rassilin" with Moxie - a neighbor's Golden who has yet to learn "enuf") sightings of 5 and 6 I've had appeared to have only four Superliners forward of the Lounge. That would suggest "we're now down to two".

Back