California Zephyr discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The 531 car has always been next to the diner. The sleepers had usually been at the front. I’ve read reports that they were on the rear for a couple of weeks. Reports on other discussions forums noted that on some trains the sleepers were moved back to the front. I’ll be boarding 6 today. I plan to give a detailed trip report. I’ll report on the positioning of sleepers.

I have been trying to download the adjusted timetable to my iPhone. I’ve managed to get it in PDF form. But it was covered with black in many areas. And the times were jumbled up. Is there a pdf version of this schedule available?
I answered my own question using Amtrak’s website. This link will show the revised track work schedule and the traditional schedule. https://content.amtrak.com/content/timetable/California Zephyr.pdf

Any clue what happened to 5(15)? It doesn't show up anywhere but I haven't seen it canceled.

Likely you will be able to detrain early, but you would have to check with your attendant and the conductor to make sure the doors will open. I often get off one stop early, but it is at a fairly large station where the attendant opens the doors. The fare being charged now is the current fare, which likely has increased from the time you made the reservations.
Maybe calling customer service and explaining coming from overseas and need to get off one stop early. The phone agent may not have authority to do that.

Another question about Zephyr. Traveling in coach. And this may be a very stupid question. How will we know which cars are designated coach? Is there just one coach car? Or are there a couple coach cars? Will somebody tell us where to go or are we basically on our own to figure it out?

also, when I go on the website, the day of our travel says that coach is sold out. Can somebody explain that to me does that mean coach is sold out for the entire route of the Zephyr? Or does it mean certain segments of the route are sold out?

Thank You!

Where are you boarding? Usually, if the stop is reasonably busy, someone on the platform will ask you what you are looking for and direct you. At a light stop or at night, they may just be standing in an open door. The type of car is normally stenciled on the side, if it is a sleeper, the car number in the consist should be displayed, but is not always correct, but the attendant will direct you.

Another question about Zephyr. Traveling in coach. And this may be a very stupid question. How will we know which cars are designated coach? Is there just one coach car? Or are there a couple coach cars? Will somebody tell us where to go or are we basically on our own to figure it out?

Thank You!
When we were on the CZ last year, the coaches were the last ~2 cars on the trailing end of the train.

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/california-zephyr-consist.80415/

You won't have any problem boarding, there will be several attendants that will either welcome you to their car or direct you to another. Amtrak often groups people by destination, particularly for stops in the middle of the night, so they don't have to wake up the whole car to get a few people off. This can sometimes result in a car being somewhat full, with people sharing pairs of seats, even when another car is mostly empty. This also happens when they are expecting a large group to board further down the line. You didn't say if you were a pair of people, if so most attendants will try hard to seat you together, even if they have to move someone. If you are by yourself and you get a seatmate, and you happen to see that another car has empty seats, you can ask nicely if you can move, but don't be surprised if they say no. If you get a really bad seatmate (which is rare), you can again politely ask a conductor if you can move, preferably out of earshot of the attendant, who is doing his/her best to keep everyone happy. If the conductor moves you, they will also move the little paper tag over the seat that shows it is your seat and where you are getting off.

also, when I go on the website, the day of our travel says that coach is sold out. Can somebody explain that to me does that mean coach is sold out for the entire route of the Zephyr? Or does it mean certain segments of the route are sold out?

Thank You!
There usually 2 coaches at the rear occasionally a 3rd based on demand. Or one of them may be a coach/baggage.
1692370464324.png
Sold out would be from your origin to your destination to make sure you have a seat. As passengers come and go at intermediate stop seats can open up or be filled. Like today's Southwest Chief coach is sold-out leaving Chicago to Los Angeles but there are coach seats available boarding at Flagstaff, AZ tomorrow. Most likely it will depart Chicago with empty seat but fill up in the earlier stops like Galesburg, IL. Same thing for sleepers.

There usually 2 coaches at the rear occasionally a 3rd based on demand. Or one of them may be a coach/baggage.
View attachment 33628
Sold out would be from your origin to your destination to make sure you have a seat. As passengers come and go at intermediate stop seats can open up or be filled. Like today's Southwest Chief coach is sold-out leaving Chicago to Los Angeles but there are coach seats available boarding at Flagstaff, AZ tomorrow. Most likely it will depart Chicago with empty seat but fill up in the earlier stops like Galesburg, IL. Same thing for sleepers.
That's exactly how the consist has been the last week or so from the Virtual Railcam at the Big 10. Twice they had private cars on the rear.

Terrible experience on Zephyr. Never will step foot on Amtrak again.

Boarded in Emeryville on Friday, Aug. 18 2023. Train was one hour late with no explanation.

When we were about 4 or 5 hours outside Salt Lake City, a vague announcement was made that the train would terminate in SLC. Options were to stay on train and return to Emeryville or to get off in SLC and fend for yourselves.

We were told to call the Amtrak phone number which was impossible because there was no cell service. And of course we all know the train has no wi fi service either!

So we were left off in SLC at about 4:30 am, in the pitch black.

Many many people were upset. Some people who lived in the Emeryville area stayed on the train and returned home. The rest of us are stranded, paying for rental cars, flights, hotels, etc.

Amtrak……never again!

The reason we were given was because a track was washed out. Ok, things happen, but you don’t ditch your passengers in the middle of the night! But, oh yes you do, you’re Amtrak.

THis is on the Amtrak alerts...

@AmtrakAlerts

As of 10:40pm MT, California Zephyr Train 6, which departed Emeryville (EMY) on 8/18, will now terminate at Salt Lake City (SLC) due to ongoing severe weather in the area. For further traveling assistance, please call or text 1-800-USA-RAIL.

10:40 PM · Aug 18, 2023

I'm sure Amtrak will compensate passengers, they always do.

Terrible experience on Zephyr. Never will step foot on Amtrak again.

Boarded in Emeryville on Friday, Aug. 18 2023. Train was one hour late with no explanation.

When we were about 4 or 5 hours outside Salt Lake City, a vague announcement was made that the train would terminate in SLC. Options were to stay on train and return to Emeryville or to get off in SLC and fend for yourselves.

We were told to call the Amtrak phone number which was impossible because there was no cell service. And of course we all know the train has no wi fi service either!

So we were left off in SLC at about 4:30 am, in the pitch black.

Many many people were upset. Some people who lived in the Emeryville area stayed on the train and returned home. The rest of us are stranded, paying for rental cars, flights, hotels, etc.

Amtrak……never again!

The reason we were given was because a track was washed out. Ok, things happen, but you don’t ditch your passengers in the middle of the night! But, oh yes you do, you’re Amtrak.
You need to call Amtrak Customer Relations( not Customer Service) @ 1-800-USA-RAIL/ when "Julie " answers, ask for Agent/ once a Regular Agent is on the Line, ask for Customer Relations and let them know what happened with your trip.( Patience is necessary, they are very busy most of the time)

They are very helpful to customers that experience these kind of incidents and will most surely compensate you as much as is possibel!

That's exactly how the consist has been the last week or so from the Virtual Railcam at the Big 10. Twice they had private cars on the rear.
Yeah been that way for quite a while. A couple of trips over the last couple of weeks were reversed with the coach forward behind the baggage. I watch VR's Big 10 stream as well as when the pass by my house at MM 527. Plus ridden several times.

Roads were not impassable. We never encountered one drop of rain, never saw one ounce of bad weather. Never saw one traffic alert about road closures. So a Bus was a definite possibility.

Roads were not impassable. We never encountered one drop of rain, never saw one ounce of bad weather. Never saw one traffic alert about road closures. So a Bus was a definite possibility.
The other thing is that buses have to be available. That may or may not be the case on a particular day.

Hmm, that was where you were. In the mountains there have been mud & rock slides. Including a boulder on the tracks.

Telling passengers to fend for themselves should never be an option for Amtrak. In this case Amtrak should have stepped up and taken care of the passengers that got the boot. The "Oh they will take care of you afterwards" is not acceptable. I wonder how many passengers did not have the ability to just take a flight to their destination and going back the Emeryville is still the same problem of getting to their destination when an Amtrak coach ticket was their only affordable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back